J. Arthur Brown was born in Charleston, South Carolina in 1914. After graduating from the Avery Institute in 1932 he continued his education at South Carolina State College in Orangeburg, SC graduating in 1937. While at SCSC, Brown met his future wife MaeDe Esperanza Myers (1918-2012), marrying in 1940. The couple had three daughters: MaeDe Joenelle Gordon, Minerva King, and Dr. Millicent Brown; and on son, Myles Gregory Brown. Mr. Brown moved back to Charleston where he became a businessman working as a real estate and insurance broker. He became affiliated with the local chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). Brown worked his way to becoming the president of the Charleston chapter of the NAACP in 1955. As president of the local chapter of the NAACP, Mr. Brown led a concerted effort to fight segregation in the public sphere and other issues in the African American civil rights movement. Mr. Brown was also a member on the Voorhees College Board of Trustees, member of the Mu Alpha Chapter of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, and a member of the South Carolina Democratic Party. In the 1970’s Mr. Brown was a co-founder and office holder of the Committee on Better Racial Assurance (COBRA).
The “J. Arthur Brown Papers, 1937 – 1989” predominantly consist of correspondence detailing Brown’s work within the Civil Rights movement, largely during his term as President of the NAACP. Additional materials the collection include several photographs, pamphlets, and periodicals.
This collection was digitized and made freely available online through the generous support of the National Historical Publications & Records Commission.
The Laura Bragg Papers collection at The Citadel Archives and Museum contain letters written to Miss Bragg from Chinese cadets before and after their graduation from The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina, from 1926 to 1948. Topics of the letters include career plans, The Citadel, political beliefs, Chinese culture, history, and military events. Bragg worked as the director of the Charleston Museum, was the founder and first librarian of the Charleston Free Library, and other museums. Also included in the collection are a photograph album and scrapbook, postcards, newspaper clippings, photographs, commencement programs, additional letters from Chinese students, notes on Chinese art and history, and miscellaneous artifacts.
The Bernice Robinson Papers, 1920-1989 provide information regarding Robinson's role as a teacher and social activist for voter education, adult literacy, child development, and social work. Contents include biographical papers, writings and talks, correspondence, and affiliations. Biographical papers include transcripts of her oral history interview. Her correspondence includes letters from Guy and Candie Carawan, Andrew Young, Jr., Myles Horton, Septima P. Clark, among others. Robinson accumulated records that document her professional affiliations with organizations such as the Highlander School, Southern Christian Leadership Conference, South Carolina Commission for Farm Workers, Child Development Associate Consortium, Governors Committee on Child Development, Daycare and Child Development Council of America, and the New Readers Press’ “Be Informed” educational pamphlet series, among others. Robinson's political papers include correspondence and campaign materials regarding her candidacy to the South Carolina House of Representatives.
Periodical resources include selections from the “Highlander Reports,” the Wisconsin Office of Economic Opportunity’s newsletter entitled, “OEO,” “Race Relations Reporter,” among others.
Bernice Robinson attended the University of Wisconsin Center for Action on Poverty Technicians Training Program and accumulated a variety of records that pertain to this program. This education led to Robinson’s employment with Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA)–better known today as AmeriCorps Vista–which is heavily documented, providing an insight into this organization’s early operations via job postings, monthly reports, correspondence with subordinates and volunteers, and project proposals.
This collection was digitized and made freely accessible online through the generous support of the National Historical Publications & Records Commission.
The Colleton County Memorial Library Minute Books and Ledgers Collection contains digitized minute books, record books and ledgers in the holdings of Colleton County Memorial Library. Featured in this collection is the Colleton County Highway Commission Ledger, which contains the handwritten minutes of meetings of the Colleton County Highway Commission between March 13, 1911, and May 14, 1932. Topics discussed include appointment of board members; budgeting, bidding, and awarding of contracts for the construction and maintenance of roads and bridges; lists of chain gang workers and supplies; property sales, including rights-of-way; claims for damages; jail maintenance; placement of telephone poles; and various other road-related issues.
Business and personal accounts (1766 Sept.-1767 Dec., 1768 Feb.-1773 May, 1773 Aug.-Sept.) kept for Henry Laurens. Accounts are with individuals and companies for goods (primarily general merchandise) and services (including commissions). Several include the sale of individual slaves. A number of entries are for New Hope, Mepkin, Broton [Broughton] Island, Wambaw, and Wright's Savannah plantations. Other accounts include expenses for improvements made to brick tenements, and an Ansonborough house and lot. One personal entry is for "my arrears & fines in full" for the Charlestown Library Society.
Selections from the McLeod Family Papers include photographs and a “Crop Memoranda" book for McLeod Plantation on James Island in South Carolina. The visual images are comprised of various structures located on the property as well as the residents of McLeod Plantation. The “Crop Memoranda” book lists names and accounts of workers (1910-1921), notes on crops (1926-1944), and family accounts (1927-1965).
The Colleton County Memorial Library has provided bookmobile service since 1937, started by Isabel Patterson Heaton and Elma S. Rogers. The library continues to provide bookmobile service to rural areas and child care centers throughout the county. This collection features photographs, scrapbooks, newspaper articles from The Press and Standard, and a Library Week guest book.
This collection contains correspondence dealing with the Confederate military. Collection highlights include a letter from General P. G. T. Beauregard to South Carolina Governor M. L. Bonham in 1863; a letter from Colonel Edward Manigault to South Carolina Governor F. W. Pickens in 1861; and a letter from Captain T. W. Daggett to South Carolina Governor F. W. Pickens in 1861.
This collection contains materials relating to the commissioning of Bishop Patrick Lynch during the Civil War. Collection includes two commissions given to Bishop Patrick Lynch by Jefferson Davis, naming him special commissioner of the Confederate States of America to the State of the Church. One commission is signed by Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America, and by Judah P. Benjamin, Secretary of State. The second is only signed by Benjamin.
Camp St. Mary, a catechetical summer camp for Catholic children, was founded near the Okatee River in Beaufort, South Carolina, by the Diocese of Charleston in 1928. Father James Linehan organized the religious vocation camp for children of Beaufort missions who were in need of catechetical instruction. The priests of the diocese and the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy provided religious teaching to the area children.
The original camp was located at the plantation house of William Pinckney. William Eustace Pinckney was born in Walterboro, South Carolina, to Eustace Bellinger Pinckney and Mary Martha Porcher in 1863. In the late 1860s, Eustace Pinckney moved his family to Okatie near Bluffton. As the only Catholics living in the area, the Pinckneys relied on visiting priests to perform religious rites. Sometime before 1916, the family built a simple wooden structure known as St. Mary's in the Woods as a place of worship. In 1922, the Pinckney family deeded the church to the Diocese of Charleston, and Bishop William Russell dedicated it as the Church of St. Mary.
In 1931, Bishop Emmett Walsh chose to prioritize the camp as a diocesan project. After obtaining funds, he purchased property across the river from the original campsite in Okatie, for an enlarged camp with permanent buildings. Two barracks for sleeping, a dining hall and a kitchen, a sisters’ convent, and a chapel were erected, as well as a boat dock with a diving platform, which was built on the river. Once the permanent buildings were erected, Bishop Walsh officially designated the camp as Camp St. Mary.
This digital collection contains three scrapbooks made by camp staff and campers from the 1930s to the 1960s.