4th South Carolina Regiment Order Book
- 4th South Carolina Regiment Order Book
- Creator (Corporate):
- United States. Continental Army. South Carolina Regiment, 4th.
- Creator (Personal):
- Elliott, Barnard
- This is the order book associated with the 4th South Carolina Regiment, which was established in November 1775 and formed part of the U.S. Continental Army between June 18, 1776 and January 1, 1781, when it was disbanded following the British capture of Charleston. It also contains orders relating to the 1st and 2nd South Carolina Regiments from September 15, 1775 onward, beginning with the capture of Fort Johnson. It discusses the allocation of men and material to various fortifications around the Charleston area, including Fort Sullivan, Fort Johnson, and the Grand Battery. The book accompanied Captain Barnard Elliott (d. 1778), who was reassigned from the 2nd to the 4th Regiment in November, 1775. Considerable reference is made to war plans, military discipline, including courts-martial, and camp life.
- Collection Title:
- South Carolina Historical Society Manuscripts
- Contributing Institution:
- South Carolina Historical Society
- Media Type:
- Personal or Corporate Subject:
- United States. Continental Army. South Carolina Regiment, 1st
United States. Continental Army. South Carolina Regiment, 2nd
United States. Continental Army. South Carolina Regiment, 4th
- Topical Subject:
- United States--History--Revolution, 1775-1783, Fort Johnson (S.C.), Charleston (S.C.)--History--Revolution, 1775--1783, Fort Moultrie, Battle of, S.C., 1776, Trials (Military offenses)--South Carolina., and Fortification--South Carolina
- Geographic Subject:
- Charleston (S.C.), Sullivans Island (S.C.), and Fort Moultrie (S.C.)
- S.C. County:
- Charleston County (S.C.)
- Date Digital:
- Digitization Specifications:
- 400 dpi, 24-bit depth, color, NIKON D800, Archival masters are tiffs.
- Internet Media Type:
- Copyright Status Statement:
- Public domain.
- Admin ID: