This is the order book associated with the 4th South Carolina Regiment, which was established in November 1775 and formed part of the U.S. Continental Army between June 18, 1776 and January 1, 1781, when it was disbanded following the British capture of Charleston. It also contains orders relating to the 1st and 2nd South Carolina Regiments from September 15, 1775 onward, beginning with the capture of Fort Johnson. It discusses the allocation of men and material to various fortifications around the Charleston area, including Fort Sullivan, Fort Johnson, and the Grand Battery. The book accompanied Captain Barnard Elliott (d. 1778), who was reassigned from the 2nd to the 4th Regiment in November, 1775. Considerable reference is made to war plans, military discipline, including courts-martial, and camp life.
Work on paper in watercolor and ink. Pink church surrounded by trees in center. Large trees stand to left and right of church, line of trees in background. Lower portion of white building with brown door partially visible to right of church in background. Two wood gates in left foreground with dirt path leading to church in center foreground. Handwritten note below image identifies building as a church in St. Bartholomew's Parish, burned down by British soldiers and rebuilt after Revolutionary War.
Work on paper in watercolor dated 1800. White church with three windows to left of door in center. Two men stand on road that leads to church door. Handwritten note identifies building as church in St. Andrews, built in 1706, with an organ destroyed by British soldiers.
Work on paper in watercolor and ink dated 1785. Shell of church in center: pink with shite interior, columns around exterior. Two men and horse stand near church. Handwritten note identifies building as ruins of the Sheldon Church, burned by British soldiers in 1781.