Jewish Heritage Collection: Oral history interview with Ethel Lapin Draisin and Louis Draisin
Click Here to Read the Embedded Transcript
Click Here to Read the Transcript
- Jewish Heritage Collection: Oral history interview with Ethel Lapin Draisin and Louis Draisin
- Grossman, Michael Samuel
- Draisin, Ethel Lapin, 1908-2003;Draisin, Louis, 1911-2003
- Ethel Lapin Draisin, born in 1908 in Charleston, South Carolina, is joined by her husband, Louis Draisin in recounting her family history. Ethel’s maternal grandparents, Nathan and Ethel Goldstein, emigrated from Poland and arrived in Charleston in the 1870s. Nathan ran a wholesale dry goods business on Meeting Street. Their daughter Dora (Ethel Draisin’s mother) married Israel Lapin, a Lithuanian immigrant who ran a clothing store on King Street from 1909 until 1953. Ethel Lapin met Louis Draisin, who emigrated from Bobruisk, Russia, as a young child, while she was visiting relatives in New York. In 1940, shortly after marrying, the couple settled in Charleston, where they raised two children, Neil and Judy. Ethel, the oldest of six, recalls Jewish merchants, neighbors and friends of the Lapin family, and the food her mother prepared. Louis describes his World War II tour of duty as a quartermaster in Patton’s Third Army. Both Draisins discuss Charleston’s “uptown” and “downtown” Jews, and the Orthodox synagogues, Brith Sholom and Beth Israel.
- Collection Title:
- Jewish Heritage Collection Oral Histories
- Contributing Institution:
- College of Charleston Libraries
- Media Type:
- Oral Histories
- Preferred Citation:
- Ethel Lapin Draisin and Louis Draisin, audio interview by Michael Samuel Grossman, 06 August 1997, Mss. 1035-159, Special Collections, College of Charleston, Charleston, SC, USA.
- Personal or Corporate Subject:
- Beth Israel (Charleston, S.C.)
Brith Sholom (Charleston, S.C.)
- Topical Subject:
- Jews--South Carolina--Interviews, Jewish merchants--South Carolina--Charleston--History, Jews--South Carolina--Charleston--Social life and customs, World War, 1939--1945--Participation, Jewish, and Jewish soldiers--South Carolina--History
- S.C. County:
- Charleston County (S.C.)
- Shelving Locator:
- MSS 1035-159
- Date Digital:
- Digitization Specifications:
- Mp3 derivative audio created with Audacity software. Archival masters are wav files.
- Internet Media Type:
- Copyright Status Statement:
- Digital resource copyright 2013, College of Charleston. All rights reserved. For more information contact Special Collections, Addlestone Library, College of Charleston, Charleston, SC 29424.
- Admin ID: