Mementoes of Days in Service, 17 Jun 41 - 12 Dec 45
- Mementoes of Days in Service, 17 Jun 41 - 12 Dec 45
- Creator (Personal):
- "Mementoes of Days in Service" details Lawrence Layden's service in World War II from his induction in June 1941, six months before Pearl Harbor, until his formal discharge in December, 1945. Part of the 67th Tactical Reconnaissance Group, Layden's squadron provided aerial reconnaissance for Operation Overlord and the assault on Nazi Germany. Through photos and text, Layden's scrapbook follows him from his initial assignment in Louisville, Kentucky to bases in England and continental Europe. The album contains reconnaissance photos used in the assault on Europe, photographs of Layden at various bases throughout the war and several photographs of Buchenwald concentration camp, visited by Layden six days after its liberation.
- Collection Title:
- Lawrence Layden Scrapbook, 1941-1945
- Contributing Institution:
- College of Charleston Libraries
- Media Type:
- Personal or Corporate Subject:
- Buchenwald (Concentration camp)
United States. Army Air Forces. Reconnaisance Group, 67th
- Topical Subject:
- World War, 1939-1945--Reconnaisance operations, American, World War, 1939-1945--Personal narratives, American, Operation Overlord, and World War, 1939-1945
- Shelving Locator:
- Mss 1065-042
- Date Digital:
- Digitization Specifications:
- 400 ppi, 24-bit depth, color, Epson Expression 10000XL, Archival Masters are tiffs.
- Copyright Status Statement:
- Digital images copyright 2009, The College of Charleston Libraries. All rights reserved. For more information contact The College of Charleston Library, Charleston, SC 29424.
- Admin ID: