Newspaper Article on Ellen Craft from The Illustrated London News
- Newspaper Article on Ellen Craft from The Illustrated London News
- A newspaper article on Ellen and William Craft, who escaped slavery together while she dressed as a wealthy slave holding gentleman. They later went to England because of the Fugitive Slave Act. The article gives a brief biography of the couple. The illustration shows Ellen dressed as a man.
- Collection Title:
- Illustrated Newspaper Clippings, 1840-1917
- Contributing Institution:
- College of Charleston Libraries
- Media Type:
- Personal or Corporate Subject:
- Craft, Ellen
- Topical Subject:
- African Americans--Education, Racially mixed people--United States--History--19th century, Abolition movement--England--London, African American--History, and Fugitive slave
- Shelving Locator:
- MSS 0105
- Date Digital:
- Digitization Specifications:
- 600 dpi, 24-bit depth, color, Epson Expression 12000XL, Archival masters are tiffs.
- Copyright Status Statement:
- Public domain.
- Access Information:
- For more information contact Special Collections at Addlestone Library, College of Charleston, Charleston, SC, 29424.
- Admin ID: