Work on paper in watercolor and ink. Pink church surrounded by trees in center. Large trees stand to left and right of church, line of trees in background. Lower portion of white building with brown door partially visible to right of church in background. Two wood gates in left foreground with dirt path leading to church in center foreground. Handwritten note below image identifies building as a church in St. Bartholomew's Parish, burned down by British soldiers and rebuilt after Revolutionary War.
Work on paper in watercolor. House in center mostly hidden by trees. Long reflecting pool in left foreground and road in center foreground. Handwritten note indicates that building is Ashley Hall Plantation.
A Chintz Applique,measuring 112" by 117", from the early to mid-19th century. It has a white background with red, blue, green and brown chintz pieces in a tree-of-life design. Border is a 12" strip of chintz with floral design on background of tiny black dots. There is no batting or backing and it is not hemmed. There are at least 17 different fabrics used in the center panel. The center piece is dated from an earlier period - approximatley 15 to 20 years earlier - with the border fabric being of a later date, possibly 1850. The palm tree and bird group in the lower left corner are circa 1815. The design is influenced by Indian palampores. The quilt was made, in Charleston, by Maria Boyd Schulz, the daughter of John Christopher Schulz and Susan Flud Cantey. Maria's sister, Martha Anne (1819-1852) married Dr. Thomas L. Burden, a relative of the donor's husband. The quilt was donated by Mrs. H. S. Burden in 1970.
A chintz applique measuring 109" by 111.5". It has a Tree-of-Life design and uses multiple fabrics. The design includes flowers, leaves and birds on a main tree with butterflies and floral sprigs encircling the tree. At the base of the tree is mound of flowers with various birds including peacocks. The floral border is wide and printed with green leaves, brown flowers and tiny, yellow flowers. The whole quilt is multicolored on a white background. The backing is plain muslin in four vertical strips with woven binding tape all around. The center of the quilt has double line diagonals forming diamonds with a floral motif in the center. It isqQuilted around the tree motifs. And the border is quilted in crossed diagonal lines. On the reverse, in dark blue cross-stitch, at top center is stitched: "Burges / Dec 1833." The quilt was possibly made in Charleston by Margaret Eliza Darley Seyle Burges, the great, great-grandmother of the donor. Margaret and James Smith Burges were the parents of Edward Burges. Edward married Eveline Olivia Petsch. Their son was Julius Eugene Burges, Sr., who married Anna Willissa Detwiler. Their son was Julius Eugene Burges, Jr., the donor's father. The quilt was given in 2010, by Gene Burges.
Work on paper in watercolor dated 1803. Four-story white building with smaller structure to left. Trees to left in center and in right foreground. Handwritten note identifies building as Ashley Hall Plantation.