Black-and-white photograph of man and dog standing in front of building. Writing on back of image reads, "Old dairy McLeod Plantation James Island. W.E. McLeod and Bieto, the Yard Dog about 1938-40. The brick work forms a sort of cellar with shelves for the pans of milk. The other part of the house has a large fire place where the utensils were scalded every day. The churning etc was done here and every morning each family on the plantation (slaves) got some milk or clabber."
Black-and-white image depciting left side of north view of McLeod Plantation. Writing on image reads, "McLeod Residence. James Island near Charleston, S.C." Writing on back of image reads, "McLeod House 1854 built, Photograph by Howard R. Jacobs. About 1935."
This is the second page of a letter written to "William" from Elias Rivers on April 29, 1895. On this page, Mr. Rivers details the second part of the meeting of 14 men from James Island who had served in the Civil War. After eating dinner, the letters and excuses of those unable to come were read. Those who were absent included: Dr. J.L. Girardeau, Stiles Mellichamp, Capt. H.S. Lebby, W.W. Lawton, Dr. J.H. Mellichamp, E.M. Freer, W.A. Mellichamp, and William Rivers. The names of those who had died during the war were also read and included: Edward H. Mellichamp, Stiles M. Hinson, Joseph M. Mellichamp, J. Peronneau Royall, W.S. Mellichamp, J.C. Seabrook, Campbell Holmes, and Rawlins H. Rivers. In the afternoon, the photographs of those present were taken and the evening was spent talking. The men left after breakfast the next day. It is noted that the only alcohol consumed was a bottle of wine from 1835 that had survived the war by being buried when Sherman passed through South Carolina in 1865.
This is the first page of a letter written to "William" from Elias L. Rivers on April 29, 1895, in order to "preserve" a memory. In the letter, Rivers recalls the meeting of 14 men who were from James Island and that had served in the Civil War at "William's" home on March 27, 1895. Rivers lists the men's names and where they were living at the time. The men at the meeting included: Constant H. Rivers, E.L. Rivers, Jenkins Holmes, J.F. Lawton, J.H. Freer, W.G. Hinson, Dr. Robert Lebby, Dr. W.B. Seabrook, Dr. b.M. Lebby, W.A. Clark, W.B. Minott, Edward T. Legare, R.E. Mellichamp, Chas. H. Rivers. Mr. Rivers recalls that one man had not been to James Island since 1854 and was shocked at all of the changes he encountered upon arrival in 1895. The bottom of this page states that the group had a dinner and were joined by Mr. J.T. Dill, Robert Bee, and S.L. Hinson.
Pamphlet for a tour of St. Andrew's and St. Paul's Parishes, including St. Andrew's Church, Drayton Hall, McLeod Plantation, Fenwick Hall, and Angel Oak. The tour was conducted by The Society for the Preservation of Old Dwellings for the benefit of The Heyward-Washington House on Saturday, April 4, 1936. The pamphlet contains driving directions. A handwritten note at the bottom of the page states the same tour was repeated on Thursday, March 10, 1937, except that the Angel Oak was omitted and tea was served at McLeod Plantation.
Black-and-white photograph, mounted on card, of a portrait of a large group of men, each one with a number written on or near them. Text under the image reads, "Members of the Constitutional Convention of South Carolina, 1895." The numbers near each man coordinate with a list of names below the title of the photograph.
Letter from Aunt "Elzh" in Charleston to James B. Heyward in Cambridge, Mass. She write James that the health of his grandmother has forced her to take a trip upstate to Flat Rock and that his brother Nat met her in Columbia via "the RailRoad as far as Branchville, and then took his Horse and went on." She writes of family members and friends travelling in Europe and that "Strangers fever is rather more prevalent than some years back...owing to...so many cellars being left open, and water collecting in them." 4p.
Letter from Aunt M. Smith in Beaufort to James B. Heyward in Cambridge, Mass. James' aunt relates the news of the family and writes of her desire that James uses his education to teach in the "Sabbath Schools." 4p.
Letter from Aunt M. Smith in Beaufort to James B. Heyward in Cambridge, Mass. In her letter, she informs James about the news of family and friends and mentions that she was hoping to go to Charleston to visit a dentist "to Beautify your Uncle and myself in our old days--not wishing yet to be accounted toothless." 4p.
Letter from Aunt M. Smith in Beaufort to James B. Heyward in Cambridge, Mass. Upon hearing of James' recent trip to Canada, his aunt relates the story of her trip there seven years earlier when "Quebec only had one good hotel and Montreal...not half enough to accomodate the numerous travelers." She writes of news of the family and of the several parties in Beaufort. 4p.
Letter from Aunt M. Smith in Old Fort, Beaufort to James B. Heyward in Cambridge, Mass. James' aunt writes at length of the politics of "Columbia College" in South Carolina including the news that his friend has been named president. 4p.
Letter from William Henry Heyward to James B. Heyward. William writes from Montreal about his health and the gifts and commissions he has procured or investigated for James and his wife on his trip north. He claims "Philad. is the place for domestic manufactures" and "N.Y. for imported." 4p.
Letter from Eliza Smith Heyward in Beaufort to her brother-in-law, James B. Heyward. In her letter, Eliza teasingly accuses James of being "anti-lady" and that she has heard "you were enjoying yourself extremely in society." 4p.
Color photograph of two men and two women, one wearing a wedding dress. Writing on back of image reads, "(Beverly Caldwell) Mr. Willie, Bob - Sharon & John. January 27th 73. St. Jame's Episcopal Church. Reception in Parish House."