Photograph of the wreckage of the Calvary Baptist Church, an African-American church demolished by the tornado of September 29, 1938. Located at the corner of Sumter Street and Ashley Avenue; address may have been 387 Sumter Street. Handwritten on back of photo: "Old Negro church on Sumter Street, corner of Ashley Avenue. This was done by second tornado that hit 2 miles from the other one. Sept. 29, 1938."
Photograph of wooden building demolished by the first tornado of September 29, 1938. The photograph is marked with a small green X to show the location of the body of a man killed by the tornado. Handwritten on back of photo: "1st tornado came in by Battery near Miller's junk yard - Laurence [Laurens?] Street. This shed is on top of small Negro house. The Negro was dead when found. Sept. 29, '38."
Photograph of the Viohl Hay & Grain warehouse demolished by the tornado of September 29, 1938. Located at the northwest corner of Vendue Range and Concord Street (address 14 Vendue Range). Portion of the building across the street can be seen at left. Steeple of St. Michael's Church in the distance at right. Handwritten on back of photo: "Taken in front of the Clyde Line Steam Ship Co. on Concord Street. Vohls Grain Place. Tornado - Sept. 29, 1938. In distance is St. Michael's Church steeple."
Photograph of the I.M. Pearlstine Building (203 East Bay Street), located on the southwest corner of East Bay Street and Street, after the tornado of September 29, 1938, showing the damage done to the building. Also shows 205 East Bay Street, located on the northwest corner of East Bay and Cumberland. "Bay City" heavy equipment vehicle (excavator?) parked in front of building. Pedestrian and a street worker walking on the sidewalk; repairman on the utility pole on the street corner.
Photograph showing several dwellings in Fiddlers Green damaged or destroyed by the tornado of 1938. Handwritten on back of photo: "1st tornado hit Fiddlers Green, Negro section by Ashley Bridge, Hilly Street [should be Lilly Street], Sept. 29, '38."
Photograph of a house on Fishburne Street demolished by the tornado of 1938. Neighboring house in view at left. (Both houses would have been on the north side of the 200 block of Fishburne Street.) Handwritten on back of photo: "2nd tornado on Fishburne Street near President Street. Demolished about 60 houses here. This 2nd tornado damage about $6,000,000. 300 houses condemned. Sept. 29, '38."
One of three black-and-white photographs of the structures at the rear of 238-242 King Street up to the rear of the buildings at about 199-203 Meeting Street, bordering what was the northern boundary of the Belk parking lot, and on the site where Charleston Center would be constructed.
Four B&W photographs of buildings on the west side of King Street, including 213 King and 215 King, demolished for the construction of Majestic Square: Top left (211-215): 211-213 King (Palmetto Hotel) and 215 King Street (Stephan's); Top right: 197 King Street; Bottom left 193-197: 193 King Street (Colonial Antique Shop), 195 King Street, and 197 King Street; Bottom right (191-197): 191 King Street (Birlant Antiques), 193 King Street, 195 King Street, 197 King Street.
Three B&W photographs of buildings on the west side of King Street, demolished for the construction of Majestic Square: Top left: 223 King Street (Ocean Grill); Top right: 221 King Street (photograph is missing); Bottom left (219-223): 219 King Street (Rice Bros.), 221 King Street, and 223 King Street (Ocean Grill); Bottom right (217-219): 217 King Street and 219 King Street (Rice Bros.).
Two B&W photographs of buildings on the east side of King Street, both demolished for the construction of Charleston Place: Left (224-226): 224 King Street and 226 King Street (Ritz Hotel); Right: 222 King Street (Copa Lounge) (northeast corner of King and Market).