Photograph of the destruction of a house done by the tornadoes of September, 29, 1938. Based on newspaper accounts, the home was probably located in the Fiddlers' Green neighborhood near the Ashley River. Two men lean against the ruins while another man climbs a nearby telephone pole.
Photograph of the ruins of a building on King Street after the tornadoes of September 29, 1938. Shows the debris of a completely demolished structure and the damaged roof of the neighboring building. Based on newspaper accounts, this is probably the site of the Rectory of the Church of the Sacred Heart at King and Huger Streets. Three men stand on the sidewalk facing the debris; other men are standing on a pile of debris.
Looking east on Market Street after the tornadoes of September 29, 1938, showing the Market Sheds in ruins. A damaged car is parked along side of the debris. The Old Church of the Redeemer can be seen in the background.
Photograph of the Timrod Hotel [ca. 101 Meeting Street], after the tornadoes of September 29, 1938, showing the damage done to the building. East elevation. Men are sitting on the second story piazza ledge. Men stand on the sidewalk by a truck that is carrying debris. [Note: The hotel was later demolished in the 1960s.]
Looking northwest on Market Street from the U.S. Custom House on East Bay Street, after the tornadoes of September 29, 1938, showing damaged and ruined Market Sheds. Also shows the damaged buildings on North Market Street. Onlookers and cars are in the street. Partial view of ca. 225 East Bay Street (now gone) is on the left.