This newsletter from the Preservation Society of Charleston provides an update on the Plantation House at the Navy Yard; the Lining House; the Primrose House; the Gadsden House; 42 Society Street; 48 Laurens Street; 179 Rutledge Avenue; 6 Chalmers Street, the Old Slave Mart; 72 Tradd Street; and 1 Pitt Street.
This newsletter features reports regarding preservation of properties along the Cooper River waterfront, a report regarding the use of the Revolving Fund, a message from the Preservation Society of Charleston, a membership form, and a meeting notice. Photographs are included.
History and architectural description of the Edwards-Smyth House [14 Legare Street] by Albert Simons, illustrated with photographs and measured drawings. Edited and published by Russell F. Whitehead (New York, ??1928). Photographs by Kenneth Clark. Measured drawings (measured and drawn by Kenneth Clark) from the George F. Lindsay Collection of Early American Documents. Also includes wood construction details and corporation information about Weyerhaeuser Forest Products (St. Paul, Minnesota). Volume 14, number 6, of The White Pine Series of Architectural Monographs. Twenty-two pages; page numbering of original begins at 267. (Note: The Edwards-Smyth House at 14 Legare Street is also known as the Edwards-Simmons House and the Pineapple Gate House.) Eight-page index to volumes 13-14 of the series is omitted (inserted between pages - (pages -).
Photographs and measured drawings of some of the finest doorways in Charleston, with accompanying essay by William Casey. Edited and published by Russell F. Whitehead (New York, ??1928). Photographs by Kenneth Clark. Measured drawings (measured and drawn by Kenneth Clark) from the George F. Lindsay Collection of Early American Documents. Also includes wood construction details and corporation information about Weyerhaeuser Forest Products (St. Paul, Minnesota). Volume 14, number 5, of The White Pine Series of Architectural Monographs. Twenty-two pages; page numbering of original begins at 243.
Single brochure for the 1948 Historic Charleston Foundation's Tour of Homes and 27 corresponding pamphlets about each individual home. These pamphlets contain descriptions by Samuel Gaillard Stoney (with illustrations) of each house on tour in 1948. Produced by Historic Charleston Foundation, 1948.
A six-page typed letter from S. Henry Edmunds to Ben Scott Whaley, with one small insert detailing the sender, recipient, and date of the letter in front of the letter. Edmunds details the history of the properties of 70 and 72 Anson Street.
This six-page typed and illustrated newsletter for the Preservation Society of Charleston discusses Historic Charleston Foundation plans to launch fundraising efforts for its Ansonborough Rehabilitation Project Revolving Fund. Reports donations, issues with upcoming rehabilitation efforts, issues with parking in the Ansonborough area, and community opinions on the project.
This 13-page typed document details information about the Ansonborough neighborhood, specific properties within it, and Historic Charleston Foundation's fundraising efforts to be used for its rehabilitation.
This twelve-page typed document is a draft of material used for fundraising efforts by Historic Charleston Foundation, using the success of the Ansonborough Rehabilitation Project as an example of work accomplished by the Foundation.
This collection of gelatin silver photographs by Kenneth Clark consists of the original prints that were reproduced in three issues of the White Pine Series of Architectural Monographs, published by Russell F. Whitehead. The series was intended to provide 'intimate treatises of the architecture of the American colonies of the early Republic presented with well ordered completeness, to further a broader understanding and to create a permanent record of Early American architecture.'
In 1928, five issues highlighted Charleston architecture. The photographs feature Charleston buildings, street scenes, views, and architectural details. They appeared in three of the five Charleston issues: 'The Charm of Charleston: A New World City of Old World Memories' (vol. XIV, no. 2), 'Some Charleston Mansions' (vol. XIV, no. 4), and 'The Edwards-Smyth House' (vol. XIV, no.6).
The folio, Examples of Colonial Architecture in Charleston, S.C. and Savannah, Ga., features photographic plates of some of the most important houses and buildings in Charleston and Savannah. Photographs include exterior views of the buildings, gates, and entrances, as well as interior views of fireplaces, mantels, doors, rooms, and ceilings. Compiled and photographed by Edward A. Crane and E.E. Soderholtz. Published in 1895 by the Boston Architectural Club (Boston, Mass.).
A twelve-part publication about Charleston, South Carolina and the surrounding region. The twelve volumes are mostly composed of black and white photographs and also contain text that runs contiguously throughout. The volumes contain images of well-known homes, monuments, gardens, cemeteries, and buildings, along with notable industrial sites.