View of the ruins of St. Finbar's Cathedral, corner of Broad and Legare Streets [where St. John's Cathedral now stands]. Destruction is from the fire of December 1861. Handwritten on reverse: 'A.A. Campbell, Charleston, S.C. March 5. 1868.' This is a stereograph image which measures 3 1/2" X 7".
Caption: 'No.6. Ruins of St. Finbar's Cathedral, Charleston, S.C. These ruins can be seen at the corner of Broad and Friend Streets. It fell a prey to the terrible conflagration of December, 1861. The corner-stone was laid in August, 1852, and it was dedicated in April, 1854. It occupies the site of the old St. Finbar's, a wooden building..' This is a stereograph image which measures 3 1/2" X 7".
Hand-tinted photograph measuring 9" X 7 1/4" that depicts the bombardment of Fort Sumter, April 12th, 1861. Shown in the image: Floating Battery, Fort Moultrie, Fort Sumter, Fort Johnson, Gunboat Lady Dora and William Seabrook.
Caption: 'A detachment of the First South Carolina (Colored) Federal Volunteers, Colonel Beard, repelling an attack of the Confederate troops in the vicinity of Doboy River, Ga. From a sketch by Colonel Brewerton.'
Caption: 'Bombardment of Fort Sumter, as sketched from Morris Island, Charleston Harbor, S.C.' Identified in image: Mortar Battery, Fort Johnson; James Island; City; Castle Pinckney; Fort Sumter; Mount Pleasant; Floating Battery; Mortar Battery; Fort Moultrie; Enfilading Battery; Iron Battery; Sand-bag cover for reserve; Traverse behind Trapier Battery and Magazine covered with sand bags.