Caption: 'War Views. No.176. Cheeves' Point Battery, Charleston.' This appears to be a view of the Battery at White Point Gardens. The label which identifies this as Cheeves' (sic) Point Battery is in error. Cheves Battery was located on James Island near what is now Ft. Johnson Estates. This is a stereograph image which measures 3 1/2" X 7".
Main caption: 'Siege of Charleston--views of Sullivan's Island, as seen from Morris Island.--from sketches by our Special Artist, W.T. Crane.' Caption top left: 'Remains of blockade runners.' Caption top right: 'Rebel camp on Sullivans Island.' Caption middle left and right: 'Rebel battery on Sullivans Island.' Caption middle: 'Examining passes on the beach.' Caption bottom: ' Fort Moultrie as seen from Morris Island.' [full date October 10, 1863.]
Caption: 'The new batteries erected on Morris Island for the defence of Charleston Harbor and the reduction of Fort Sumpter (sic).--from a sketch by our Special Artist in Charleston, S.C.--see page 295.' Identified with additional captions are: 1.The Iron-clad Steven's Battery on Cumming's Point. 2. Encampment on Morris Island. 3.Star of the West Battery. 4.Columbia Battery. [full date March 30, 1861.]
[Color image.] Caption (in French): 'Evenements des Etats-Unis: Charleston et ses fortifications. [Events of the United States: Charleston and its fortifications.] 1--Charleston. 2--Riviere Ashley [Ashley River]. 3--Chemin de fer de Savannah [Savannah Railway]. 4--Riviere Cooper [Cooper River]. 5--Riviere Wando [Wando River]. 6--Fort Pinkney [Castle Pinckney]. 7--Fort Ripley. 8--Fort Johnson (ile James) [James Island]. 9--Riviere Stone [Stono River]. 10--Fort Sumter. 11--Fort Moultrie. 12--Batterie Gregg (pointe de Gumming) [Battery Gregg (Cummings Point)]. 13--Fort Wagner. 14--Batteries rasantes du general Gilmore [grazed batteries of General Gilmore]. 15--Ouvrages pris par les federaux. [Works undertaken by the Federals]. 16--Phare Inlet [Lighthouse inlet]. 17--Batteries federales (ile Folly) [Federal Batteries (Folly Island)]. 18--Canonnieres et vaisseaux cuirasses [gunboats and ironclads]. 19--Hotel. 20--Ile et batteries Sullivan [Sullivan Island and Batteries]. 21--Moultrie. 22--Mont Pleasant [Mount Pleasant]. 23--Breach Inlet. 24--Shem Creek. 25--Batteries construite par les confederes sur l'ile James, dans le voisinage du fort Johnson [Batteries built by the Confederates on James Island, in the vicinity of Fort Johnson].
Caption: 'Bombardment of Fort Sumter, as sketched from Morris Island, Charleston Harbor, S.C.' Identified in image: Mortar Battery, Fort Johnson; James Island; City; Castle Pinckney; Fort Sumter; Mount Pleasant; Floating Battery; Mortar Battery; Fort Moultrie; Enfilading Battery; Iron Battery; Sand-bag cover for reserve; Traverse behind Trapier Battery and Magazine covered with sand bags.
Caption: 'Morris Island, as seen from Fort Sumter.--[drawn by an Officer of Major Anderson's Command.]' Also identified with captions: 'Battery from which the "Star of the West" was fired upon. Cumming's Point. Sand Battery, connected by covered gallery with...iron-clad battery.' [full date March 2, 1861.]
Hand-tinted photograph measuring 9" X 7 1/4" that depicts the bombardment of Fort Sumter, April 12th, 1861. Shown in the image: Floating Battery, Fort Moultrie, Fort Sumter, Fort Johnson, Gunboat Lady Dora and William Seabrook.
Caption: 'The Floating Battery at Charleston, S.C., intended to assist in the capture of Fort Sumpter (sic), with Dr. De Vega's hospital attached.--from a sketch by our Special Artist in Charleston.--see page 289.' [full date March 30, 1861.]
Caption: 'Bombardment of Fort Sumter--The fleet engaging Batteries Wagner and Gregg.--[See Page 587]' Identified by captions are the Swamp Angel, Fort Johnson, Fort Sumter, Fort Gregg, Battery Wagner and iron-clads. [full date September 12, 1863.]
Caption: 'The Floating Battery, now erecting in the harbor of Charleston by the authorities of South Carolina. Designed to capture Fort Sumter.--from a sketch by our Special Artist now in Charleston. See page 194.' [full date February 16, 1861.]