Composed of cowhorn and pine, this sourvenir powderhorn was originally owned by Captain Charles Fornin Richardes of the 95th Regiment of the British Army. The engravings of the Powderhorn depict the pertinent places of the British and Cherokee encounter during the French and Indian War. A view of the city of Charleston and major rivers are illustrated at the bottom of the horn. Illustrated along the top of the horn are a string of Cherokee towns along the Little Tennessee River.
This one page- stampless folded letter was sent from Nathaniel Russell, a slave merchant in South Carolina, to William and Samuel Vernon, Rhode Island slave traders and orchestrators of the colonial era "triangle trade".
A bill of lading dated March 29, 1771 and signed by Joseph Durfee for a cargo of "two hogshead & four barrels Pimento & Ten logs Mahogany" sent by Nathaniel Russell from the sloop of Charleston bound for Newport, Rhode Island to be received by William and Samuel Vernon.
Oil painting by Lt. William Elliott depicts the abortive attack on Fort Moultrie during the American Revolution. Plate on painting reads: "Charlestowne South Carolina. The abortive attack of Fort Moultrie 26th June, 1776, by a British naval force under Commodore Sir Peter Parker consisting of HMS's Bristol, Active, Experiment, Solebay, Actaeon, Syren, Sphinx, and bomb vessel Thunder. Lt. Wm. Elliott RN, Fl 1784-1792, Hon. Exhibitor at the Royal Academy."
Full-length portrait painted by portraitist Edward Savage depicting Alicia Russell Middleton(1789-1840), daughter of Nathaniel Russell, at six years old picking roses in the garden at their house on East Bay Street.
A fragment of a 1930's waistcoat that was discovered during 2017-2018 investigations of the Russell House ktichen house. Made of black worsted wool with a black silk lining and brass buttons, this waistcoat was likely the uniform of an enslaved butler or body-servant.?The absence of any gold on the buttons may imply a waistcoat that belonged to an enslaved footmen or butler.
Rounded cardboard box with lid contains remnants of antimony, a substance used for medicinal purposes. Discovered during 2017-2018 investigations of an enslaved quarter in the Nathaniel Russell House kitchen house