Bicentennial reconstruction of Fort Moultrie, exterior from a distance with brick fort and spire of Stella Maris Catholic Church in the background. Page 45, Image 13 of collection. Original is 35 mm B/W negative.
Oil painting by Lt. William Elliott depicts the abortive attack on Fort Moultrie during the American Revolution. Plate on painting reads: "Charlestowne South Carolina. The abortive attack of Fort Moultrie 26th June, 1776, by a British naval force under Commodore Sir Peter Parker consisting of HMS's Bristol, Active, Experiment, Solebay, Actaeon, Syren, Sphinx, and bomb vessel Thunder. Lt. Wm. Elliott RN, Fl 1784-1792, Hon. Exhibitor at the Royal Academy."
A letter from Benjamin King (Ft. Moultrie, 1826) describes the wreck of the ship Harvest off the coast of North Carolina in which Lieutenant Benjamin Grimke and his infant daughter were drowned, but which his wife and King survived; with details on their shipwreck on Boddy's Island, wreckers salvaging the ship, burial of the dead and travel to Roanoke.
Letter from William Gill, James Johnson, William Greu, and Isaac A. [Kerlark?], the committee of the Temperance Society of 'F' Company, 2nd Regiment of Artillery, stationed at Fort Moultrie, to Thomas S. Grimke, President of the South Carolina Temperance Society regarding becoming an auxiliary organization.
Letter from J.F. Heilman, President of the Charleston Temperance Society, to Thomas S. Grimke, President of the South Carolina Temperance Society, in reference to a newly formed Temperance Society of 'F' Company, 2nd Regiment of Artillery, stationed at Ft. Moultrie.
This is the order book associated with the 4th South Carolina Regiment, which was established in November 1775 and formed part of the U.S. Continental Army between June 18, 1776 and January 1, 1781, when it was disbanded following the British capture of Charleston. It also contains orders relating to the 1st and 2nd South Carolina Regiments from September 15, 1775 onward, beginning with the capture of Fort Johnson. It discusses the allocation of men and material to various fortifications around the Charleston area, including Fort Sullivan, Fort Johnson, and the Grand Battery. The book accompanied Captain Barnard Elliott (d. 1778), who was reassigned from the 2nd to the 4th Regiment in November, 1775. Considerable reference is made to war plans, military discipline, including courts-martial, and camp life.
Carl Smith and his wife, Stephanie, moved to Sullivan's Island in 1972 and immediately fell in love with it. Though an architect by profession, Carl soon became involved in island politics. His first involvement was on the Board of Adjustment, now known as the Board of Zoning Appeals. In those days there were basically no ordinances protecting historic structures on the island. However, there was the long established requirement for a minimum half acre lot size, something that Carl considers one of the most important aspects in protecting the island's character. In 1987 Carl was elected to Sullivan's Island Town Council. He was a council member during the destruction of Hurricane Hugo. He describes the devastation of the storm and the residents' return to the island. Hugo led to many changes, including the establishment of the island's first disaster plan. In the mid 90's Carl made his first run for mayor, but was defeated then and in 2001. His first successful bid for mayor came in 2005, and he ran unopposed in 2009. Carl feels that there were three issues that defined his time as Mayor of Sullivan's Island, in addition to his strong advocacy for preservation of the island's character. The first was that of the fate of the Ben Sawyer Bridge and the island's connection to the mainland. The second was the way in which water and sewer were handled on the island rather than being shipped to Mt. Pleasant. The third was the new Sullivan's Island Elementary School, a facility that Carl felt was ill-conceived and over-built. A referendum on the school was never allowed by Town Council, but the write-in vote on Carl's behalf in the mayoral election of 2013 was considered by many a referendum on the school. There are other accomplishments that Carl remembers with pride during his time as mayor including initiating an architectural survey of the island, designing the town sign at the entrance to the island, recovering and rehabilitating the old bandstand from Ft. Moultrie, erecting the monument in the historic town cemetery, and preserving the historic character of the Devereaux mansion gatehouse. Finally, Smith details his reasons for leaving the island.
A postcard of the Post Chapel in Fort Moutlrie on Sullivan's Island. Back of the postcard reads, "Fort Moultrie on Sullivans island, has figured extensively in history. During the Civil War, the Fort was abandoned, when Charleston Harbor was evacuated in 1865. It is now a modern Coast Atillery Headquarters."
A postcard of the Post Chapel in Fort Moutlrie. Back of the postcard reads, "Fort Moultrie on Sullivans island has figured extensively in history. During the Civil War, the Fort was abandoned, when Charleston Harbor was evacuated in 1865. It is now a modern Coast Atillery Headquarters."
A postcard of the entrance of Fort Moultrie and the Grave of Osceola. Back of the postcard reads, "Osceola, a famous chief of the Seminole Indians, was born in Florida in 1803. His wife was seized as a slave in 1835, and he began a war which carried on until he was captured. He died in Fort Moultrie in 1837. Fort Moultrie, on Sullivan's Island, has figured extensively in history. During the Civil War the Fort was abandoned, when Charleston Harbor was evacuated in 1865."
A postcard of the entrance to Fort Moultrie. The back of the postcard reads, "Fort Moultrie successfully defended the Harbor against the British Fleet under Sir Peter Parker. Th[illegible] shows the old guns left from past [illegible]ave of Osceola, famed Indian chief, [illegible] the modern coast artillery head-q[uarters]."
A postcard of the highway entrance to Fort Moultrie. The back of the postcard reads, "Shown in this view are the old guns left from past days, the grave of Osceola, famed Indian chief, and the road to the modern coast artillery headquarters. This Fort successfully defended the Harbor against the British Fleet under Sir Peter Parker."
A postcard of Osceola's grave and entrance to Fort Moultrie. The back of the postcard reads: "Fort Moultrie successfully defended the harbor against the British fleet under Sir Peter Parker. It is now a modern Coast Artillery Defense and Army Post."
A postcard of the Post Quearters and Parade Ground of Old Fort Moultrie. Back of the postcard reads, "Fort Moultrie on Sullivans Island has figured extensively in history. During the Civil War, the Fort was abandoned, when Charleston Harbor was evacuated in 1865. It is now a modern Coast Atillery Headquarters."
A postcard of the Parade Ground of Fort Moultrie. The back of the postcard reads, "The parade ground of Fort Moultrie, situated on Sullivan's Island was first called Fort Sullivan and later named after General Moultrie. It was originally built of palmetto logs and sand, and here Sergeant Jasper amidst shot and shell, jumped over parapets onto the beach, rescued the flag and put in place again."
A postcard of Fort Moultrie near the Charleston Harbor on Sullivan's Island. The back of the postcard reads, "This fort is built on the site of the palmetto log and sand bag fort which repulsed the British fleet on June 28, 1776."
A postcard of Oceola's [sic] gravestone at the enterence of Fort Moultrie. The grave reads, "Patriot and Warrior Died at Fort Moultrie January 30th, 1838." The back of the postcard notes that it was "Made in Germany no. 1938."
Hand-tinted photograph measuring 9" X 7 1/4" that depicts the bombardment of Fort Sumter, April 12th, 1861. Shown in the image: Floating Battery, Fort Moultrie, Fort Sumter, Fort Johnson, Gunboat Lady Dora and William Seabrook.
Caption: 'Bombardment of Fort Sumter, as sketched from Morris Island, Charleston Harbor, S.C.' Identified in image: Mortar Battery, Fort Johnson; James Island; City; Castle Pinckney; Fort Sumter; Mount Pleasant; Floating Battery; Mortar Battery; Fort Moultrie; Enfilading Battery; Iron Battery; Sand-bag cover for reserve; Traverse behind Trapier Battery and Magazine covered with sand bags.
Doris Dayhoff was born in a house on Sullivan’s Island on March 5th, 1928. During this interview, she recounts her early childhood growing up on the island. Her father worked as a tugboat captain and an oysterman. Her mother was postmistress at the Atlanticville Post Office. The family home was at Station 26 ½ and Myrtle Avenue on the marsh side of the island, locally referred to as “the back beach.” Property research indicates the land was originally part of a “King’s grant” in the Colonial era. Dayhoff helped her father with his oyster business, selling pints of fresh oysters for only 25 or 50 cents each. Dayhoff attended elementary school on Sullivan’s island. For high school, Dayhoff first attended Memminger on the Charleston peninsula, though she attended and graduated from the newly opened Moultrie School. Much of her time was spent on the beach with friends, and in this interview Dayhoff recounts an instance when one of her friends nearly drowned. Dayhoff also recalled how, despite there being only a few stores on the island, one store operated a delivery service for the residents of the island, including going to the house of customers to take their order. Dayhoff was in high school when World War II started. She described the island’s initial reaction to Pearl Harbor. Like most all the other girls on the island, Dayhoff was recruited during the war to go to the local USO clubs as a volunteer to dance with the servicemen. Dayhoff recounted how some of the airmen would later fly over the beach and dip their wings to say good-bye to the girls as they flew off to war. Dayhoff described the stresses of living on the island during World War II, including blackouts, rationing, and evidence of U-Boat activity. A GI from Ft. Moultrie eventually asked Dayhoff to marry him, which she did. Doris describes in detail the origins of Sullivan’s Island Baptist Church, which she has attended for 68 years. Dayhoff discusses the changes the island has undergone in her lifetime, including the island demographics shift, the accretion of land and increased traffic on the island.
At one time there were so many Schirmers living on Sullivan's Island that the area around Station 19 and the Coast Guard Station earned the nickname, 'Schirmerville.' Ruth DeHaven is a member of that family that can trace its connection with the island back to the marriage of John Elias Schirmer to Helena Sass around 1800. Ruth's father as a young man would canoe to the island with his friends to spend time at a house called the 'Helluvajoint.' As a child, Ruth and her family would pack as many as eight or nine people into their car and as soon as school was out in the spring, drive to Sullivan's Island where they would stay until school started in the fall. Ruth goes on to detail many of the summertime activities she and her family engaged in, including fishing and crabbing on the rocks (jetties), shrimping in the creek, and swimming. After supper the adults usually turned to card games, often joined by 'Vincie' Coste, head of the Coast Guard Station. Other memories revolved around the Coast Guard including the bells that marked the hours, rescues of those in distress, and watching practices with breeches buoys. When the red hurricane flags went up, everyone plus dogs, chickens and goats loaded up the car and headed for Charleston. Ruth also covers relations with Ft. Moultrie, tensions during World War II, internment of German-Americans, disputes over which chickens laid which eggs, and lemon meringue pies. Her family was also close by when a runaway ship hit the Grace Memorial Bridge sending a car with five passengers to their death in 1946. The interview closes with Ruth's impression of the changes that have occurred on the island.
In this interview, Father Lawrence McInerny relates his family tree, starting with Michael McInerny from County Clare, Ireland, the first family member to come to Sullivan’s Island in 1840. Married to Julia Lillis, Michael McInerny bought property but had trouble retaining it. He owned a bakery that was destroyed by arson. In 1884, he died in a horse and buggy accident. His son, John Francis McInerny, was born on the island in 1842. John Francis became a brick mason and later operated a lumber business. John Francis briefly served as marshal of Moultrieville. His brother, James, died in Confederate service during the American Civil War. The hard times of Reconstruction forced John Francis to move to Brooklyn, New York, where he married. He moved back to the island in about 1875. In 1876, during the last great yellow fever epidemic, two of his children died. In 1889, he bought Centennial Hall which he renovated but sold soon after renovations were completed. John Francis died in 1914. His son, Joseph P. McInerny, was a merchant on the island and was instrumental in starting the local elementary school. Joseph’s son, Edward Reynolds McInerny, was born in 1910 and ran a successful laundry business. Reynolds, as he was called, was the Father Lawrence McInerny’s father. Father McInerny reflects on his and his family’s recollections of many aspects of island life including the presence of many more children, a significantly larger African American population, an easy-going lifestyle focused on boats and bicycles, the storms that have hit the island, prohibition, the ferries once needed to bring people to the area, and the businesses that used to dot the island. Closing on a personal note, Father McInerny talks about his summer work with the National Park Service and his call into the priesthood.
Photograph, measuring 3 3/4" X 4 3/4", of uniformed men carrying flags (one of which is the American flag) passing in review. Another group [officers] stands at attention in the distance. Multi-storied building with wrap-around porches visible in the background. Also vintage cars can be seen. Handwritten on reverse: 'Ft. Moultrie.'
Caption: 'No.42. Beach view of Sullivan's Island from Fort Moultrie, Charleston, S.C. This picture gives a good view of the Beach of Sullivan's Island, as seen from the Eastern part of Fort Moultrie. The Beach on this portion of Sullivan's Island is hard and perfectly level for several miles, affording as fine a promenade and drive as can be found anywhere in the country...' This is a stereograph image which measures 3 1/2" X 7".
Handwritten at bottom, front: 'Northwestern angle of Fort Moultrie, interior of [ramparts]--back of western barracks--western side of citadel--brick traverse for protection of magazine--sandbags covering magazine. Fort Moultrie, SC. April 16, 1861.' Mounted image that measures 7 1/2" X 9 3/4".
Caption: 'No.41. A view of the sally-port of Fort Moultrie, Charleston, S.C. This picture presents a view of the sally-port of Fort Moultrie after the war. The sally-port is situated on the land side of the Fort, and was well protected from within' Date is assumed to be 1865. This is a stereograph image which measures 3 1/2" X 7".
4" X 5" image of Osceola's grave at Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island. Two African-American children are in the image - one is laying on the ground to the right and the other is standing against the gate in the background at the left.
Photograph, measuring 4 3/4" X 3 3/4", of uniformed men marching in formation with rifles over their shoulders. Another group [officers] stand at attention in the distance. Multi-storied building with wrap-around porches visible in the background. Handwritten on reverse: 'Ft. Moultrie.' Date is assumed due to similarities with other images in file.
5" X 7" image showing soldiers firing Browning machine guns model 1917A1. Handwritten on reverse: 'Case and 447th at Fort Moultrie, S.C. 8-21-39. M.G. Record at 1000" Range. Photo by M.B. Paine, Chas, S.C. Fla., Ga., Tenn. men in units.'
Photograph, measuring 4 3/4" X 3 3/4", of uniformed men standing with their backs to the camera. There is a large group of men standing in formation in the distance. A vintage car is just visible to the right. Handwritten on reverse: 'Fort Moultrie.'
Caption: 'Siege of Charleston--1.Bombardment of Fort Moultrie and the Batteries Bee and Beauregard, by the monitors and ironsides, Sept. 7th and 8th.--2. Interior of Battery Gregg, looking towards Wagner. From sketches by our Special Artist, W.T. Crane.' [full date October 3, 1863.]
[Color image.] Caption at top: 'The harbor of Charleston, S.C.--From sketches by our special artist.--Fort Moultrie, on Sullivan's Island.' Caption at middle: 'Fort Pinckney, Charleston, S.C.' Caption at bottom: 'Fort Sumter, Charleston, S.C.' [full date Dec. 1, 1860.]
Caption: 'Panoramic view of Charleston Harbor--advance of iron-clads to the attack, April 7. Union--A. Keokuk. B. Nahunt. C. Nantucket. D. Catskill. E. Ironsides. F. Patapsco. G. Montauk. H. Passaie. K. Weehawken. Rebel--1. Morris Island sand battery. 2. Fort Wagner. 3. Battery Bee, on Cummings Point. 4. [Fort] Johnson. 5. Fort Ripley. 6. Sumter. 7. Charleston City. 8. Castle Pinckney. 9. Fort Redan. 10. Fort Moultrie. 11. Moultrie House. 12. Fort Beauregard. 13. Harbor obstructions. 14. Cooper River. 15. Ashley River.' [full date May 2, 1863.]
Main caption: 'Siege of Charleston--views of Sullivan's Island, as seen from Morris Island.--from sketches by our Special Artist, W.T. Crane.' Caption top left: 'Remains of blockade runners.' Caption top right: 'Rebel camp on Sullivans Island.' Caption middle left and right: 'Rebel battery on Sullivans Island.' Caption middle: 'Examining passes on the beach.' Caption bottom: ' Fort Moultrie as seen from Morris Island.' [full date October 10, 1863.]
Caption: 'Siege of Charleston--the magazine of Fort Moultrie exploded by a shell from the grounded monitor Weehawken, Sept. 8.--from a sketch by our own Special Artist, W.T. Crane.' [full date October 3, 1863.]
Caption: 'Siege of Charleston--the magazine of Fort Moultrie exploded by a shell from the grounded monitor Weehawken, Sept. 8.--from a sketch by our own Special Artist, W.T. Crane.' [full date October 3, 1863.]
Caption: 'The Siege of Charleston--bombardment of Fort Moultrie by the iron-clads, September 8, 1863.--sketched by Mr. Theodore R. Davis.--[see page 621.] Also identified in the image: Moultrieville, Fort Moultrie and Moultrie House. [full date September 26, 1863.]
Caption: 'The city of Charleston, South Carolina.--[see page 62.]' Also identified in image: Broad Street, "Mercury" office, Custom-house, Castle Pinckney, Fort Moultrie, Fort Sumter and Morris Island. [full date January 26, 1861.]
Caption: 'The city of Charleston, South Carolina, looking seaward, and showing the burned district.--[see next page.]' Identified in image are: Broad Street, "Mercury" office, Custom-house, Castle Pinckney, Fort Moultrie, Fort Sumter and Morris Island. [full date December 28, 1861.]
Caption: 'Our blockading fleet off North Channel, Charleston Harbor, South Carolina.--sketched by a Naval Officer.--[see page 79.] References--A. Fort Sumter.--B. Charleston City.--C. Fort Moultrie.--D. Rebel tug at work on the obstructions.--E. Obstructions.--F. Fort Johnson.--G. Mount Pleasant Batteries.' Also identified in image: South Carolina, Blunt, Daylight and Stars and Stripes (ships of the fleet). [full date January 31, 1863.]
Caption: 'Profile view of the harbor of Charleston, South Carolina, showing the city and forts.' Identified in the image: Fort Johnston (sic), Fort Sumter, Charleston, Fort Moultrie and Mount Pleasant. [full date December 29, 1860.]
The story of Rosamond Lawson's family connection with Sullivan's Island is the story of houses. Her great-great grandfather, German immigrant Charles Otto Witte, bought the first house at Station 18 in the late 1860's. That house ultimately burned, but a second house at Station 11, built in 1868, was bought in 1910 and remained in the family until 2018. Having moved from Charleston to Virginia when she was six, many of Rosamond's early memories are of summer visits. However, in 1994 she moved back to this area and spent many more years in the house with her own growing family. Summertime memories in the early years included crabbing, fishing, playing kickball, and entertaining Charleston friends. She learned to drive on the dirt road that ran along the back of the island. Rosamond recalls all the front beach homes being summer residences. Few people lived on Sullivan's Island year round, and those were not on front beach. Most houses, including her own, had neither heating nor air conditioning. On the rare visit to the island in the winter, the place was nearly deserted. There was a vegetable man who would come over every few days to deliver fresh produce. Rosamond recounts the few businesses that existed in those days. Playing hide and seek in the old batteries and Fort Moultrie before it became a National Park are all fond memories. Rosamond describes the typical summer thunderstorm and experiencing that in the old house. She also shows the damage done by Hurricane Hugo. Rosamond is also part of the Waring family. That includes Judge Waties Waring whose controversial decision became part of the famous Brown vs. Board of Education case leading to his ostracization and eventual move from Charleston to New York. Finally, Rosamond discusses her favorite memories as well as all the changes she has seen in the area over the past twenty-five years.
In this interview, Rovena Owens relates the story of her family on Sullivan’s Island beginning with Vincent Peter, whose father was a slave trader. According to Owen’s family tradition, one of the captured African women became both Vincent’s slave and his wife. They arrived on Sullivan’s Island around 1812-13. Owens then traces her family history through succeeding generations, many of whom were free people of color, including Louis Peters, her second great-grandfather, her great-grandmother, Mary Elizabeth Pezant, and grandmother, Margaret Etta Pezant, who married Alan Perry Jones. Their daughter, Rovena Agnes Jones, married Walter Hazel, a member of the prominent Manigault family of Charleston. Walter was “kicked out” of his family for marrying a woman of color. Rovena Agnes Jones and Walter Hazel were then the parents of Rovena Owens. While discussing her roots on Sullivan’s Island, Owens discusses the topic of racially mixed families and their general acceptance on the island. Owens contrasted this sentiment with the attitudes of those who came from other parts of the country, such as the Fort Moultrie soldiers. Owens recalls island life as “paradise” where black and white children enjoyed playing, boating, and crabbing. Sundays were always popular times for the family on the island. Her grandmother had a pot of okra soup ready for whoever appeared. Some of Owens’ fondest memories were those Sundays with the ladies in the kitchen and the men out working on some kind of “project.” Owens also discusses the efforts made on the island to preserve its historic cemeteries. She also relates her family’s struggles with major storms such Hurricane Hugo. Through all of the storms, the Owens family homestead at Station 23 and Myrtle Avenue on the marsh side of the island, locally known as the “back beach”, remains intact. To Owens, Sullivan’s Island is “home,” where she’s comfortable.
Roy Williams’ family association with Sullivan’s Island goes back to about 1815. This interview focuses on Williams’ recollections of life on the island during World War II. He describes the leisurely pace of life on the island before the war. Williams was in first grade when World War II started. He was aware of the attack on Pearl Harbor, but it seemed very far away to him. The family moved to Charlotte, North Carolina when Williams was in the second grade. Life there was a contrast with life on Sullivan’s Island. There was much more awareness of the war. Williams describes scrap metal and paper drives that took place in Charlotte. By the summer following second grade, Williams’ father had left to become an engineer on a hospital ship making runs from New York to Liverpool, England. His mother took the family to the North Carolina beach for the summer where Williams collected debris from the frequent U-Boat attacks. His mother brought the children back to Sullivan’s Island by the time Williams entered third grade. The island was now in full military mode and populated by many people from other parts of the country. Williams describes the rationing that took place for everything from shoes to beef. The war economy provided his family with money, but there was nothing to buy. Williams talks about the fear of being bombed by the Germans. He recalls that relationship between the islanders and the military Fort Moultrie was good. For Williams, the fort felt like a protective umbrella that provided services such as fighting fires and providing hurricane shelter. Still, Williams could tell the nation was at war. Soldiers marched down Middle Street. There were practice amphibious landings around Station 9. At the northeast end of the island was Battery Marshall, which was fenced off. Williams described how there were stories of prisoners of war being held at that facility. Williams relates how the war became personal to the Williams family on a couple of occasions. He recalls the joy at the end of the war, especially VJ Day, a jubilant time because friends and family were coming home.
[Color image.] Caption (in French): 'Evenements des Etats-Unis: Charleston et ses fortifications. [Events of the United States: Charleston and its fortifications.] 1--Charleston. 2--Riviere Ashley [Ashley River]. 3--Chemin de fer de Savannah [Savannah Railway]. 4--Riviere Cooper [Cooper River]. 5--Riviere Wando [Wando River]. 6--Fort Pinkney [Castle Pinckney]. 7--Fort Ripley. 8--Fort Johnson (ile James) [James Island]. 9--Riviere Stone [Stono River]. 10--Fort Sumter. 11--Fort Moultrie. 12--Batterie Gregg (pointe de Gumming) [Battery Gregg (Cummings Point)]. 13--Fort Wagner. 14--Batteries rasantes du general Gilmore [grazed batteries of General Gilmore]. 15--Ouvrages pris par les federaux. [Works undertaken by the Federals]. 16--Phare Inlet [Lighthouse inlet]. 17--Batteries federales (ile Folly) [Federal Batteries (Folly Island)]. 18--Canonnieres et vaisseaux cuirasses [gunboats and ironclads]. 19--Hotel. 20--Ile et batteries Sullivan [Sullivan Island and Batteries]. 21--Moultrie. 22--Mont Pleasant [Mount Pleasant]. 23--Breach Inlet. 24--Shem Creek. 25--Batteries construite par les confederes sur l'ile James, dans le voisinage du fort Johnson [Batteries built by the Confederates on James Island, in the vicinity of Fort Johnson].
[Color image.] Caption (in French): 'Les troupes federales evacuant le fort Moultrie, apres avoir detruit le materiel de guerre.--D'apres les croquis de M.W.S. (Voir la Revuie de la semaine.)' [Federal troops evacuate Fort Moultrie, after destroying war materials.--from the sketch by M.W.S. (see the Review of the Week)].