Four photographs on the page. Top left: Tugboat and other ships in a floating dry dock in the Charleston Harbor (possibly Charleston Shipbuilding). Top right: View of the Charleston waterfront from the Ashley River. Some of the landmark buildings visible in the background include St. Matthew's Church, Francis Marion Hotel, St. John's Lutheran Church, Unitarian Church, St. Philip's Church, People's Building, St. Michael's Church, and West Point Rice Mill. Bottom left: View of the Charleston waterfront from the Cooper River. Some of the landmark buildings visible in the background include Fort Sumter Hotel, St. Michael's Church, St. Philip's Church, U.S. Customhouse, and several wharves. Bottom right: Two cars on the Ashley River Bridge, one heading east and one heading west. View of the Charleston waterfront in the background.
A postcard of the mural from the main lobby of the Fort Sumter Hotel that depicts the attack on Fort Sumter. The front of the postcard reads, "This mural painting, in the Main Lobby of the Fort Sumter Hotel, Charleston, South Carolina, symbolizes the initial attack by Confederate forces, beginning the War Between the States.--The painting is by Alfred Hutty, internationally noted artist and etcher." The back of the postcard reads, "The first shot of the War Between the States was fired April 12, 1861, from a Confederate battery at Fort Johnson (position of the observer in this painting) and landed on the parade ground of Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor. In this painting Fort Sumter is center, Fort Moultrie to the distant left and a floating Confederate battery to the right. The flag is the original seven star flag of the Confederacy. Fort Sumter, occupied by Confederates on April 14, 1861, was under constant siege by Federal forces from that date until February 18, 1865--In 1948 Fort Sumter was designated a national monument."
Three photographs on page. Top left and bottom: View from the Cooper River of the piers and boats on the Charleston waterfront behind the U.S. Customhouse. The Customhouse can be seen in the background as well as Market Street buildings. Top right: Unidentified beach scene, possibly Isle of Palms.
Holograph manuscript with annotations and corrections written by Gabriel Edward Manigault, curator of the College of Charleston Museum, for publication in the Proceedings of the Elliott Society. Manigault, an 1852 graduate of the College of Charleston, became curator of the museum in 1873. The manuscript describes the capture of a Right Whale in Charleston harbor in January 1880, a description of the whale, the steps taken to preserve the specimen for exhibit at the College of Charleston Museum, and descriptions taken from published sources describing similar animals that had been sighted along the American coast and elsewhere beginning in the early 18th century. The Right whale is still exhibited in the Charleston Museum. 8 pages. Full text. Work published in: Proceedings of the Elliott Society, v. 2 (1885):98-103. The Elliott Society was a natural history society established in Charleston, South Carolina and allied closely with the College of Charleston throughout its existence in the latter part of the nineteenth century.