Composed of cowhorn and pine, this sourvenir powderhorn was originally owned by Captain Charles Fornin Richardes of the 95th Regiment of the British Army. The engravings of the Powderhorn depict the pertinent places of the British and Cherokee encounter during the French and Indian War. A view of the city of Charleston and major rivers are illustrated at the bottom of the horn. Illustrated along the top of the horn are a string of Cherokee towns along the Little Tennessee River.
Full-length portrait painted by portraitist Edward Savage depicting Alicia Russell Middleton(1789-1840), daughter of Nathaniel Russell, at six years old picking roses in the garden at their house on East Bay Street.
A fragment of a waistcoat from the 1830s discovered during 2017-2018 investigations of the Russell House ktichen house. Made of black worsted wool with a black silk lining and brass buttons, this waistcoat was likely the uniform of an enslaved butler or body-servant.?The absence of any gold on the buttons may imply a waistcoat that belonged to an enslaved footmen or butler.
Rounded cardboard box with lid contains remnants of antimony, a substance used for medicinal purposes. Discovered during 2017-2018 investigations of an enslaved quarter in the Nathaniel Russell House kitchen house
Slave auctioneer's token, 1846. These tokens were distributed as one-cent pieces and served as advertisements for the businesses and services depicted on the coins. Face view of token reads "W.W. Wilbur Auction & Commission Merchant; Charleston, So. Ca.; Going at Only A Penny" encircling the image of an auctioneer. Obverse view of token reads "Merchants & Manufactors Agents; Collection Broker Notary Public" encircling the image of a tree.
Coral bead discovered during 2018 investigations of an enslaved quarter in the Nathaniel Russell House kitchen house . Coral is most often associated with children?s necklaces and teething rattles in the 18th and 19th century as it was thought to have protective/medicinal properties.?
Black cane with gold head containing the inscription "To WDC from WHJ & JMT 1910." The cane was presented to Dr. William Crum, physician, Collector of Customs in Charleston, South Carolina, and United States minister and consul general to Liberia, at a farewell banquet prior to his ambassadorial journey to Liberia. The initials signify the presenters of the cane: WHJ is William H. Johnson and JMT is J. M. Thompson, both Charleston physicians.
Five dollar Confederate greenback issued on February 17, 1864 and redeemable two years after the ratification of a treaty of peace between the Confederate States of America and the United States of America. Printed by Evans & Cogswell in Charleston, South Carolina and engraved by Keatinge & Ball of Columbia, South Carolina.
Ten dollar Confederate greenback issued on February 17, 1864 and redeemable two years after the ratification of a treaty of peace between the Confederate States of America and the United States of America. Printed by Evans & Cogswell in Charleston, South Carolina and engraved by Keatinge & Ball of Columbia, South Carolina.
Five dollar bill issued by the Farmers & Exchange Bank of Charleston and dated September 28, 1853. Bill depicts an African American tending to a wagon pulled by oxen. Engraved by Toppan, Carpenter, Kasilear & Company, Philadelphia and New York.