Organized in Charleston, SC, about 1798, the Irish Volunteers Company included many prominent members of the Hibernian Society who served as officers. As part of the 28th Regiment of the South Carolina Militia, the Irish Volunteers saw active duty in the War of 1812, the Seminole War and the Mexican War. During the American Civil War they became Company K, First Regiment, South Carolina Volunteers of the Confederate States of America Army. Notable postwar service included patrol of the Mexican border from attacks by Pancho Villa in 1916 and volunteer service in WWI as the 105th Ammunition Train. The collection contains a typescript copy of "The History of the Irish Volunteers Company" (1798-1836) by F.M. Salley, and typescript copies of minutes from 1884-1901 and 1915-1929. Typescripts were copied from the originals as part of W.P.A. projects in 1935-1937. Original pagination can be seen in the margins of the typescripts.
One of three scrapbooks compiled by William Henry Johnson containing, among other materials, photographs depicting scenes of the South Carolina Lowcountry, with descriptive notes. Volume 1 includes photographs depicting cemeteries, churches, plantations, historic buildings, ruins, landscapes, and the interiors of buildings. Subjects include locations in Berkeley County, St. Johns (Berkeley) Parish, Goose Creek, and along the Cooper River. Other sites and subjects include Belmont, Black Oak Church, Bluford, Casada, Cedar Grove, Cedar Spring, Comingtee, a Prioleau family burial ground, Crowfield, Dean Hall Plantation, Dockon Plantation, Eutaw, Eutaw Springs, Exeter, Fairspring, Fort Dorchester, Four Hole Swamp, Gippy, Gravel Hill, the gravestone of Susan Bee, Hanover Plantation, Indian Fields Campground, Ingleside, Indianfield, Liberty Hall Club, Lewisfield, Magnolia Cemetery, monument of Col. Hezekiah Maham, grave of Major Majoribanks, Medway Plantation, Mepkin, a milestone by the Cooper River, Moorfield, Mount Pleasant Plantation, Mulberry Castle, North Hampton, Numertia, The Oaks Plantation, Ophir, Otranto Hunting Club, Parnassus, Pimlico, Pinegrove, Pond Bluff, Pooshee Plantation, John Poppenheim's plantation, Quarter house, Red Bank Hunting Club, an Episcopal church in Pineville, Rice Hope Plantation, The Rocks, St. James Goose Creek church, St. Johns Berkeley rectory site, St. Johns AME Church, a St. Julien family house, a Santee Canal lock, "Sarrazin house," a shanty, Somerset Plantation, Somerton Plantation, "Francis Marion spring," Springfield, Stoney Landing, Strawberry Chapel, Ten Mile Hill, Thoroughgood, Wadboo Barony, Wadboo bridge, Walnut Grove, Walworth, Wampee, Wampoolah, Wappetaw, Washington Plantation, the Whaley place, White Hall, Wiskinboo, Woodlawn, and Yeamans Hall.
Nathaniel Russell Middleton was a student (B.A. 1828; M.A. 1832), trustee and president (1857-1880) of the College of Charleston. "An Essay on Secession,' which argues for the immediate secession of South Carolina, was possibly delivered to students in 1860 during his tenure as president. 24 pages.
Daily record of the temperature, rainfall total, and barometric pressure, and thrice daily records of the weather conditions and hygrometer readings, including dew point and humidity,Daily record of the temperature, rainfall total, and barometric pressure, and thrice daily records of the weather conditions and hygrometer readings, including dew point and humidity