Romant de la Rose (or Roman de la Rose) tells the story of a lover who dreams of a beautiful rose kept captive in a castle. The allegorical poem was composed in medieval France at the height of the age of chivalry and courtly love by Guillaume de Lorris and Jean de Meun. Beginning to write Roman de la Rose in the late 1230s, de Lorris left the work unfinished when he died ca. 1278. De Meun, also spelled de Meung, completed the lengthy work of poetry ca. 1270-80, building on the concept of courtly love while incorporating his own poetic style. In the story, the twenty-five-year-old narrator recounts in the first person a dreamed journey into a beautiful garden inhabited by D??duit (Pleasure) and his companions, Jeunesse (Youth), Richesse (Wealth), Liesse (Jubilation), and Beaut?? (Beauty). L'Amant (the Lover) went to select a rose blossom from the Fountain of Narcissus, when he was shot with several arrows by the God of Love, leaving him forever enamored of one specific flower. In the quest to pick the Rose (and conquer Love), the flower and its attendants represent the Lady and her sentiments while being wooed. Personified courtly ideals comprise the actors in the fable, which tells the adventures of the Lover who must avoid the traps of Male Bouche (Foul Mouth), Dangiers (Danger), and Jalousie (Jealousy) to win his lady, the Rose. Jean de Meun concludes the narrative with a bawdy account of the plucking of the Rose, achieved through deception, which is not consistent with Guillaume de Lorris' original idealized version of the quest for love. Around 300 manuscripts of the Roman de la Rose have been preserved around the world.
Horae Beatae Mariae Virginis (Use of Paris), created circa 1460s, is an example of a Book of Hours, a personal prayer book. Notably popular in medieval Europe, a Book of Hours consisted of collections of Christian prayers created to assist its owner in prayer recitation at different times, or 'hours,' of the day. The manuscripts were written in Latin as it was the language of the medieval church. Intended for individual use at home, a Book of Hours was a simplified version of the daily prayers observed by members of the clergy and monastic orders. These books were often passed down through generations of a family as an heirloom. The high cost of commissioning such a work made a Book of Hours a source of pride in addition to being a source of devotion. Commissioned versions of these books were tailored to the particular requirements of its owner, varying in content, order, and level of decoration. Horae Beatae Mariae Virginis (Use of Paris) incorporates Morae de Sancta Cruce, Horae de Sanctu Spiritu, the Passion Sequences, the Stabat Mater, and other prayers. The illuminations in this Book of Hours (26 total) are believed to be the work of four artists; influences include Master of Jean Rolin II; the Bedford Master; and the styles associated with central France, southeastern France, and Besan??on regions. This work was rebound in the 18th century. Provenance information for this work includes Francois Cesar Le Tellier, the marquis of Courtanvaux (1718-1781). Other indications of the original patron are the presence of Arnulf of Tours as fourth in the litany of martyrs, and Claude of Besan??on in the memorials.
Mobile Homes: Today, and A Glance Ahead, a report prepared by Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester Regional Planning Council, financed in part through a comprehensive planning grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
A set of annual reports of the the Fire Department from 1859-1872. Reports missing for years 1862-1865. The annual reports open with a statement from the Fire Chief and include multiple lists of department expenses, financial cost of fires, the cause of the fires, and locations of city property pertaining to the fire department.
Historic Charleston Foundation's, "An Architectural Guide to Charleston, South Carolina, 1700-1900,' written in manuscript form by Albert Simons, F. A. I. A., and W. H. Johnson, compiled by Historic Charleston Foundation, discussing structures from the Colonial Period (1700-1775), Post Revolutionary Period (1782-1820), Ante-Bellum Period (1820-1860), and Post Civil War Period (1865-1900).
A twelve-part publication about Charleston, South Carolina and the surrounding region. The twelve volumes are mostly composed of black and white photographs and also contain text that runs contiguously throughout. The volumes contain images of well-known homes, monuments, gardens, cemeteries, and buildings, along with notable industrial sites.
Directory of local businesses of all sorts. Published by Cooke, Howard & Co. (Baltimore, Md.), ca. 1889. Advertisements interspersed throughout, many of which are illustrated. Business types include bakers and confectioners, barbers, blacksmiths, building materials, butchers, contractors and builders, cigars and tobacco, groceries, furniture, hotels, insurance, house furnishings, painters, plumbers, railroad companies, restaurants, sailmakers, tailors, tin roofing, undertakers, wines and liquors, wheelwrights, and others. Also includes listings for municipal and state government, with names of offices and officers; listings of cemeteries, parks, halls, public buildings, and other points of interest; and a street directory that includes boundaries. In addition to an alphabetical index, the business guide is arranged by type. Missing map. 130 p., ill., 18 cm. (Note: Page numbering starts at 4 on the title page verso, after six unnumbered preliminary pages.)
The Study Book of Furniture and Furnishing, Being a Series of Fifty Six Plates of Designs Showing Interiors, Cabinet-Work, Upholstery, and Sundries contains plates of detailed drawings of rooms, furniture, and interior ornamentation by a number of different architects and designers including Owen W. Davis, E. W. Poley, B.J. Talbert, W. Young, James Lamb, H.W. Batley, J.J. Stevenson, Thomas Harris, R.W. Edis, Henry S. Legg, E.W. Godwin, T.E. Collcutt, H. Henry, Maurice B. Adams, T. Cutler, and Walter Hensman. Published by J. O'Kane (New York).  p., 56 plates; 44 cm.
In 1883, Arthur Mazyck published the book, "Charleston South Carolina in 1883 : with heliotypes of the principle objects of interest in and around the city and historical and descriptive notices," which contained images of Charleston buildings and sights. The images are unique, because only three years later, Charleston was devastated by a major earthquake, which damaged or destroyed many of Charleston's buildings. In 1983, architectural historian and College of Charleston faculty member Gene Waddell updated Mazyck's work to produce the book, "Charleston in 1883". This digital collection contains scans from both editions.