Black-and-white photograph of 4 men and 4 women outside. Writing on back of image reads, "John P. and Talulah Hay Ellis Fort and their children taken about 1910. Front, L to R: Kate, John P., Talulah, Martina. Rear, L to R: Susan, Will, Tom, John."
Black cane with gold head containing the inscription "To WDC from WHJ & JMT 1910." The cane was presented to Dr. William Crum, physician, Collector of Customs in Charleston, South Carolina, and United States minister and consul general to Liberia, at a farewell banquet prior to his ambassadorial journey to Liberia. The initials signify the presenters of the cane: WHJ is William H. Johnson and JMT is J. M. Thompson, both Charleston physicians.
Photograph of thirty-seven students from the Avery Institute standing on the school's main staircase outside of the building. Caption on back: "Picture Includes: Catherine A. Walker; Erma Pequette - Teacher at Burke; Mary Ann McFall - Teacher at Burke; Marie Patrick Tobin - Teacher; Sadie Gaillard Fielding"