Receipt book belonging to Mary Motte Alston Pringle containing recipes, methods and remedies for food, housekeeping, and medicine from family, friends, articles and world travelers. Pringle often notes on effectiveness and provides personal anecdotes. Pages numbered 74 through 97 in Pringle's book are blank and therefore omitted. The table of contents can be found at the end of the book.
This is the order book associated with the 4th South Carolina Regiment, which was established in November 1775 and formed part of the U.S. Continental Army between June 18, 1776 and January 1, 1781, when it was disbanded following the British capture of Charleston. It also contains orders relating to the 1st and 2nd South Carolina Regiments from September 15, 1775 onward, beginning with the capture of Fort Johnson. It discusses the allocation of men and material to various fortifications around the Charleston area, including Fort Sullivan, Fort Johnson, and the Grand Battery. The book accompanied Captain Barnard Elliott (d. 1778), who was reassigned from the 2nd to the 4th Regiment in November, 1775. Considerable reference is made to war plans, military discipline, including courts-martial, and camp life.
This collection consists of select photographs from the 'Charleston County Pasture Tour, 1951' photograph album. The photographs depict walks through pastures, cattle, demonstrations, group photos and a shared meal.
Black-and-white image of two men on deck of boat, one holding a fish. Inscription on back of image reads, "W.E. McLeod on right with member of crew holding a dolphin just caugh. On schooner Helen H. Benedict heading for New York August 1912."
Black-and-white image of two people on deck of schooner, one at the wheel. Inscription on back of image reads, "Capt. H.J. Flynn right, of the schooner Helen H. Benedict bound for New York August 1912 from Charleston S.C."
Copy of a plat of 355 Acres of land in Berkeley County near the West side of Cooper River, shows surrounding properties, doesn’t include land type or detailed notations. Names associated with this plat are Edward Keating, William Kimlough, Buvet, Matthew Beard, Colonel Chicken, Chapennoun Elliott, Robert Daniell, Longrove Thomas, Edward Keyting, Andrew Allens, William Gibbons, James Kenloch, William Adams, Allen Anderson, William Gibbons, Matthew Benson, Thomas Smith, John Vecandge [?], Francis Ternandol, and Allen Andrew. Notable geographic locations include St. James Parish, Goose Creek, Cooper River, and Berkeley County.
Farm of 54 across for sale by Rutherford, individual plots lettered A-S. Names associated with this plat are Birkman, Rutledge Phokes, Fitch, Kinsman and Rutherford. Notable geographic locations include Broad Street and Dorchester Road.
Copy of a plan of lots No.1-7, 9-11 on Cumberland Street in Charleston, Ward No.3. Indicates some buildings including a brick stable at No. 9 and DeBorr’s house and lot. “Lands of Mr. Edwards" is written above the lots. Names associated with this plat include De Borr, Edwards, and Charles Parker. Notable geographic locations include Church Street, Corr Alley or Philadelphia Street, Cumberland Street, and Ward Number 3.
Office copy of a survey of 31 acres of land for Dr. R. H. Martin in Berkeley County. Notable geographic locations include Wappoo Road and Mill Tract. Names associated with this plat are R.H. Martin, G.G. DuPont, and W.B. Guerard.
876 acres of land west of Murray Road in St. John's Parish. Names associated with this plat are Chas Johnston, Ben Castell, William Simpson, Verth, and J.G. Wiare. Notable geographic locations include Wadboo Barony.
Copy of a plan of 195 acres of land near the Cooper River including dams, a house, marsh and saw pit. Names associated with this plat include Mary Rupell, Robertson, Atkin, Dr. Brabangs, Withers, Jenson, Lanue and G. Arch.
Office copy of a tract of land once belonging to Thomas Nau then John S. Cripps containing 277 1/2 acres. The land includes gum, white and red oak, and cedar trees along with posts, a rice field and a bridge over the public road from Rantoles [Rantowles] to Charleston. Names associated with this plat include John S. Cripps, Thomas Nau, and S. Lewis.
Copy of plan of a plantation on Stono Swamp commonly called Stono Plantation belonging to Thomas Ferguson. Contains 630 acres. Approximately 360 acres is swamp and approximately 270 acres is highland. Names associated with this plat are Thomas Ferguson, George Haig, Joseph Farr, Mary Williams, Smith and John McSweeney. Notable geographic locations include Stono Swamp, Stono Plantation and Charleston.
Copy of tract of land containing 200 acres, butting and bounding south and west by William Elliott, and on the east by Clay, and to the north by John Rivers. Names associated with this plat include William Webb, Thomas Mellichamp, Butler, William Elliott, William Clay, Shem, John Rivers, John S. Cripps, Samuel Jones, the Lords Proprietors, and Daniel Gibson.
Rebecca Bryan discusses memories of her life in Charleston. She mentions a contest between the fire departments, the Womens Exchange on King Street, Dixie Antique Shop, transportation as a young girl, several significant earthquakes and hurricanes, the history of her house at 110 Broad Street, the Battery as a child, her childhood schooling, the Charleston Exposition of 1901, and a story about the Charleston Light Dragoons. Audio with transcript and tape log.
Harold Stone Reeves, a native Charlestonian and lifelong performer, discusses the many aspects of his life since his birth in 1892, including his longtime interest in Gullah, attending the University of South Carolina, his commission with the Charleston Light Dragoons during World War I, his involvement with the Society for the Preservation of Spirituals, and his role as the first manager of the of the Charleston Social Security Office. Audio with transcript and tape log.
Longtime Charleston preservationist, Elizabeth Jenkins “Liz” Young, was born April 7, 1919 on Edisto Island. In this interview she conveys her love for Charleston and emphasizes the importance of its preservation, gives a brief lesson on the Gullah dialect, and discusses St. Michaels Church. Young also talks about Federal Memorial Day versus Confederate Memorial Day, a holiday designated to memorialize the soldiers lost in the Civil War, which she calls the “War Of Northern Aggression.” Audio with transcript and tape log.
Copy of a plat part now belonging to Benjamin Perry and part to John Pringle on the west side of Ashley River. Names associated with this plat include John Pringle, Benjamin Perry, John Julius Pringle, Lambert Lance, Abraham Ladson, Sarah Rose, Nathaniel Bradwell, Ephraim Mitchell, Thomas Drayton, John Frazer, Frances Baker, Thomas Osborn, Isaac Landson, Isaac Perry, John Drayton, Glen Drayton, Francis Ladson and W. John Cattle. Notable geographic locations include the Ashley River, Charleston, Berkeley County, and Ashley River Road.
Throughout the interview, world renowned painter and sculptor, William Halsey shares his views on art and the difficulties of being a contemporary artist in historic cities like Savannah and Charleston. He mentions studying under Elizabeth O’Neil Verner, attending the University of South Carolina, graduating from the Boston Museum School, living and painting in Mexico for two years on a fellowship from the Boston Museum School, as well as teaching at Telfair Academy and the College of Charleston. His wife, Mrs. Corrie Halsey, discusses her attendance at the University of South Carolina where she studied medical illustrating, her attendance at the Boston Museum School, and shares her experiences with juggling duties as both a mother and an artist. Audio with transcript and tape log.
John Laurens graduated from the Citadel in 1910. During World War I Laurens was stationed with the Charleston Light Dragoons in El Paso, Texas and later in France. In the interview, Laurens enumerates his siblings and discusses various occurrences in his life and in Charleston including family vacations on the Southern Railroad, a bath house that was once located at the end of Tradd Street, the Charleston Exposition of 1901, a tornado that took off the steeple of St. Philips Church and a fire at the Anderson Lumber Company once located on Broad Street. Audio with transcript.
Tom Waring discusses the history of Charleston, particularly the population growth in surrounding cities such as North Charleston in the first part of the twentieth century, its designation as the “Holy City,” poverty following the Civil War, the increase in employment during World War I, and the subsequent influx of newcomers to Charleston during World War II. Waring concludes the interview with a local Gullah Story. Hermina Waring discusses the legend behind her family’s silver service. Audio with transcript and tape log.
Dorothy Haskell Porcher Legge was a pioneer of historic preservation in Charleston. In this interview, Legge discusses her early efforts to restore homes on the peninsula and describes the restoration of her family’s residence at number 99 – 101 East Bay Street beginning in 1931. Legge worked privately and effectively to inspire the revitalization of this block of deteriorated eighteenth-century mercantile structures on East Bay Street which eventually came to be known as “Rainbow Row.” In the interview Legge also discusses growing up on Mulberry (on the Cooper River) and Bonny Hill (on the Combahee River) rice plantations and family history including the life of her mother’s grandfather, Rev. John Bachman. Audio with transcript and tape log.
First elected in 1970, Lonnie Hamilton was the first African American to serve on the Charleston County Council. In this interview Hamilton discusses teaching at Bonds Wilson High School in North Charleston, his decision to run for Charleston County Council, subsequent elections, and his daughter. Audio with transcript.
This is a Sandy Island plantation journal written inside of a South Carolina and Georgia almanac for the year 1798. The plantation journal documents the planting of crops (rice, corn and potatoes), runaway slaves (including women and children), business relations with Laurel Hill Plantation, the hiring of Mrs. Taylor's bricklayers, illness, the weather, calculations, and the receipt of cypress planks from Plowden Weston.
This is a Sandy Island plantation journal written inside of the South Carolina and Georgia Almanac for the year 1797. The plantation journal documents the planting of crops (rice, corn and potatoes), slave records, accounts, the weather, and business relations with Laurel Hill Plantation.
This is a Sandy Island plantation journal written inside of The South Carolina and Georgia Almanac for the year 1792. The plantation journal documents the planting of crops (rice, corns, and potatoes), the maintenance of ditches and drains, slave records, complications with the hiring of an overseer, livestock, and business relations with Laurel Hill Plantation.
Printed broadside includes description of curriculum, rules of conduct, tuition and refereces. Madame Rosalie Acelie Togno opened her french and english boarding school for young ladies in Charleston under the patronage of James Louis Petigru in 1854. Initially located on Tradd Street, the school and dormitory for students was relocated to Meeting Street soon after. Togno was a fluent speaker of french and arrived in Charleston by way of New York. Her strict teaching style set new standards for education in antebellum Charleston and students were instructed in science, history, geograph and writing . Madame Togno's students included such notable women as Adele Allston Vanderhorst and Elizabeth Allston Waties Pringle. During the Civil War, Togno relocated her school to Barhamville, South Carolina but was forced to flee South Carolina soon after.
Certificate of citizenship for John McCormick, a "laborer" from Ireland. McCormick lived in Charleston from 1871 until at least 1894. Initially he is listed as a "seaman" in Charleston City Directories. By 1882, McCormick is listed as the captain of the Rattlesnake Shoals light ship. A light ship is a vessel which acts as a lighthouse for locations that are too deep or otherwise unsuitable for lighthouse construction and many were operated under the auspices of the U.S. Lighthouse Service, later the U.S. Coast Guard. John McCormick served as captain of the Rattlesnake Shoals light ship until at least 1894 when his name disappears from the City Directories. According to the U.S. Coast Guard, the Rattlesnake Shoal Light Ship was blown off station by a hurricane on August 27/28, 1892. It was then driven ashore at Long Island Beach (SC), 40 feet above low water mark. While beached, the light ship was damaged by a second hurricane in October. It was hauled off in 1894 and brought to Charleston for repairs. McCormick changed residences frequently during the 1880s living at 129 Coming St., 6 Thomas St., 17 Thomas St., and 55 Chapel St. By 1892, McCormick had settled in at 62 Cannon St., a residence he shared with a Miss Lillie McCormick, who is listed as a teacher at Courtenay School, according to City Directories.
Typescript text of an address delivered at the Charleston (S.C.) Rotary Club on December 22, 1953 by D. A. Amme, Vice President, Board of Firemasters. Speech traces the history of firefighting in Charleston from the 18th century until the 1950s. Also notes the affliation of the police department and lists "Notable Conflagrations."
Excerpts from minutes of "the regular monthly meeting held in their hall July 4, 1887" concern the election of J. Powell Reid as treasurer of the Mechanics' Union No. 1. The Mechnic's Union No. 1 was a trade union organized in Charelston in 1869.
The Mouzon Plat Book surveys lands held by various individuals and families in Craven County [now in parts of Berkeley, Charleston, Georgetown, and Williamsburg counties], Colleton County and Berkeley County in South Carolina. Plats are drawn in pencil and ink. Book includes an index at the beginning and at the end are two pages of accounts and also lands to be resurveyed for the estate of Henry Mouzon Jr.
The Roslin Plantation journal, kept by Archibald Simpson Johnston, documented enslaved people and slave labor on an antebellum plantation for two years (1813-1815). The journal documents correspondence, equipment, planting and harvesting, livestock, slaves and supplies related to the plantation. There are detailed descriptions of tasks and number of enslaved people working each task, particularly tasks regarding growing cotton and rice and maintainining those fields.
1850-1859, 1870-1879, 1860-1869, 1840-1849, 1830-1839, and 1820-1829
This is the plantation register by Mathurin Guerin Gibbs (1788-1849) for Rice Hope Plantation (January 1, 1824 to December 1844) and Jericho Plantation (December 1844 to 1875). Gibbs, a lawyer before becoming a planter, used the first several pages of the manuscript dating January 1824 to May 1829 for summarizing legal cases. The plantation register primarily documents daily labor activities on the plantation including cultivation and harvesting of staple crops such as corn, cotton (Sea Island Cotton and Santee black seed cotton), rice and potatoes, livestock, and building fences. Gibbes also writes about the use and management of slave labor, the movement of enslaved people between the plantation and Charleston, and selling and purchasing of enslaved people. Slave names are included in portions of the register. Gibbs notes throughout the register the struggles he encounters as a planter including being unable to pay the mortgage of Rice Hope Plantation and the property going into foreclosure. Most of the entries at the end of the register are regarding slave births, slave deaths and distribution of blankets. Gibbs died in 1849 and the management of the plantation was carried out by his son.
A black and white photograph of a man, young boy and a steer that was awarded a ribbon and title of Champion Steer in a 4-H Club competition at the Charleston Agricultural and Industrial [? Illegible] Fair.
A color photograph of the front of a delivery truck over packed with various vegetables and of the laborers. Photograph has a caption on the back that reads, 'Artistic loading. Vegetables for Eastern Markets from E.W. King, Charleston, S.C.'
A black an white photograph of an engraving on a punch bowl featuring a vignette of a women gathering what appear to be artichokes while the man on the left looks to be primed to chop wood (center). The word 'Perseverance' is engraved underneath.
A cash book for Robert F.W. Allston for the years 1823-1843. The book includes account transactions conducted by Allston including payment of overseer wages, the hiring out of enslaved people, transportation, taxes, governesses, nurses, crops, sundries, and cloth distributed to slaves. This book also includes accounts between Allston and other individuals including the Estate of Charlotte A. Allston (primarily for the purchases of blankets, shoes, and cloth for enslaved people) and an account with Mary P. Jones. The last several pages of the book contain cash ledgers. Allston explicitly notes accounting related to Matanza Plantation, later known as Chicora Wood. Other account records do not explicitly state plantation sites.
A black and white copy of a letter from Michael J. Weller to J. Thomas Savage, then curator at the Historic Charleston Foundation. The letter is regarding a punch bowl with various engravings. It goes into detail about the bowl and requests more information on the bowl, if available.
A black and white mounted photograph of one of three sides of a silver chalice awarded as 'A premium from the Agricultural Society of So. [South] Carolina, to General [George] Washington for raising the largest jackass.' This side has an engraving of the awarding institution, the Agricultural Society of South Carolina.
A color photograph of a parade float sponsored by the Agricultural Society of South Carolina, Charleston County Department of Natural Resources, and the Charleston Agricultural and Industrial Fair (November 11-16, 1929). The three are 'Partners Promoting Progress.' The float participated in a parade celebrating the opening of the John P. Grace Memorial Bridge (also known as 'the old Cooper River Bridge'). Five girls dressed as field hands ride the float alongside a pyramid decorated with vegetables: Julia Frampton, Annette Remington, Rosa Belle Blank, Louise Brown, and Isabel Frampton (one may not be pictured). Special attention is paid to the iodine in vegetables and its health benefits.
A black and white photograph taken from behind a man standing who is giving a presentation behind a table of vegetables. The attendees and participants are outside of a building owned by Coburg Dairy with a list of 'Rental Terms' on the exterior wall.