Farm of 54 across for sale by Rutherford, individual plots lettered A-S. Names associated with this plat are Birkman, Rutledge Phokes, Fitch, Kinsman and Rutherford. Notable geographic locations include Broad Street and Dorchester Road.
Office copy of a tract of land once belonging to Thomas Nau then John S. Cripps containing 277 1/2 acres. The land includes gum, white and red oak, and cedar trees along with posts, a rice field and a bridge over the public road from Rantoles [Rantowles] to Charleston. Names associated with this plat include John S. Cripps, Thomas Nau, and S. Lewis.
Copy of a plat part now belonging to Benjamin Perry and part to John Pringle on the west side of Ashley River. Names associated with this plat include John Pringle, Benjamin Perry, John Julius Pringle, Lambert Lance, Abraham Ladson, Sarah Rose, Nathaniel Bradwell, Ephraim Mitchell, Thomas Drayton, John Frazer, Frances Baker, Thomas Osborn, Isaac Landson, Isaac Perry, John Drayton, Glen Drayton, Francis Ladson and W. John Cattle. Notable geographic locations include the Ashley River, Charleston, Berkeley County, and Ashley River Road.
This is a Sandy Island plantation journal written inside of the South Carolina and Georgia Almanac for the year 1797. The plantation journal documents the planting of crops (rice, corn and potatoes), slave records, accounts, the weather, and business relations with Laurel Hill Plantation.
The Mouzon Plat Book surveys lands held by various individuals and families in Craven County [now in parts of Berkeley, Charleston, Georgetown, and Williamsburg counties], Colleton County and Berkeley County in South Carolina. Plats are drawn in pencil and ink. Book includes an index at the beginning and at the end are two pages of accounts and also lands to be resurveyed for the estate of Henry Mouzon Jr.
A color photograph of the front of a delivery truck over packed with various vegetables and of the laborers. Photograph has a caption on the back that reads, 'Artistic loading. Vegetables for Eastern Markets from E.W. King, Charleston, S.C.'
A black and white mounted photograph of one of three sides of a silver chalice awarded as 'A premium from the Agricultural Society of So. [South] Carolina, to General [George] Washington for raising the largest jackass.' This side has an engraving of the awarding institution, the Agricultural Society of South Carolina.
A black and white photograph of an exhibit booth by the Food Committee and Women's Defense Committee for 'Food for Defense.' Upon entering the exhibit the attendee is prompted with the question of, 'Are you a Perky or a Poky?' and then confronted with good and bad dietary choices. Dolls are used as an attempt to provide an example of a 'Perky' woman and a 'Poky' woman.
A black and white mounted photograph of one of three sides of a silver chalice awarded as 'A premium from the Agricultural Society of So. [South] Carolina, to General [George] Washington for raising the largest jackass.' This side has an engraving of the words dedicating the chalice to General [George] Washington.
A black and white mounted photograph of one of three sides of a sliver chalice awarded as 'A premium from the Agricultural Society of So. [South] Carolina, to General [George] Washington for raising the largest jackass.' This side has an engraving of a donkey and the beginning and ending sentiments of the chalice.
A black and white aerial photograph of a building with mostly empty exhibit booths. Banner flags hang from the ceiling, a small crowd is moving about, a milk bar, and the names of some local businesses can be read. Such as: Vane's United Phonograph Co., Robinson's Bicycle Shop and Esso.
A color photograph of an exhibition of horse walking plows [likely designed by Lanham Cotton Cultivator] at a cultivated field with many attendees and parked Ford Company Model T automobiles. Photograph was likely taken at Harrison's Farm in 1929 in Charleston, S.C.
A color photograph of a large crowd gathered around a table of speakers having an assembly. It appears that they are discussing lumber that is laid out in front of the table. There are many parked Ford Company Model T automobiles along the street. Photograph was likely taken at Harrison's Farm in 1929 in Charleston, S.C.
Receipt book kept by Eliza L. Pinckney includes formulas for making medicines to treat croup, fever, dropsy, and other conditions; recipes for cheese cake, puddings, currant wine, orange marmalade, jelly, oyster soup, and other foods; instructions for preparing meats and rice, and preserving and pickling foods; and a formula "To make the hair grow."
Copy of a plan of 195 acres of land near the Cooper River including dams, a house, marsh and saw pit. Names associated with this plat include Mary Rupell, Robertson, Atkin, Dr. Brabangs, Withers, Jenson, Lanue and G. Arch.
This is the order book associated with the 4th South Carolina Regiment, which was established in November 1775 and formed part of the U.S. Continental Army between June 18, 1776 and January 1, 1781, when it was disbanded following the British capture of Charleston. It also contains orders relating to the 1st and 2nd South Carolina Regiments from September 15, 1775 onward, beginning with the capture of Fort Johnson. It discusses the allocation of men and material to various fortifications around the Charleston area, including Fort Sullivan, Fort Johnson, and the Grand Battery. The book accompanied Captain Barnard Elliott (d. 1778), who was reassigned from the 2nd to the 4th Regiment in November, 1775. Considerable reference is made to war plans, military discipline, including courts-martial, and camp life.
876 acres of land west of Murray Road in St. John's Parish. Names associated with this plat are Chas Johnston, Ben Castell, William Simpson, Verth, and J.G. Wiare. Notable geographic locations include Wadboo Barony.
This is a Sandy Island plantation journal written inside of The South Carolina and Georgia Almanac for the year 1792. The plantation journal documents the planting of crops (rice, corns, and potatoes), the maintenance of ditches and drains, slave records, complications with the hiring of an overseer, livestock, and business relations with Laurel Hill Plantation.
Copy of plan of a plantation on Stono Swamp commonly called Stono Plantation belonging to Thomas Ferguson. Contains 630 acres. Approximately 360 acres is swamp and approximately 270 acres is highland. Names associated with this plat are Thomas Ferguson, George Haig, Joseph Farr, Mary Williams, Smith and John McSweeney. Notable geographic locations include Stono Swamp, Stono Plantation and Charleston.
Copy of tract of land containing 200 acres, butting and bounding south and west by William Elliott, and on the east by Clay, and to the north by John Rivers. Names associated with this plat include William Webb, Thomas Mellichamp, Butler, William Elliott, William Clay, Shem, John Rivers, John S. Cripps, Samuel Jones, the Lords Proprietors, and Daniel Gibson.
This is a Sandy Island plantation journal written inside of a South Carolina and Georgia almanac for the year 1798. The plantation journal documents the planting of crops (rice, corn and potatoes), runaway slaves (including women and children), business relations with Laurel Hill Plantation, the hiring of Mrs. Taylor's bricklayers, illness, the weather, calculations, and the receipt of cypress planks from Plowden Weston.
Copy of a plat of 355 Acres of land in Berkeley County near the West side of Cooper River, shows surrounding properties, doesn’t include land type or detailed notations. Names associated with this plat are Edward Keating, William Kimlough, Buvet, Matthew Beard, Colonel Chicken, Chapennoun Elliott, Robert Daniell, Longrove Thomas, Edward Keyting, Andrew Allens, William Gibbons, James Kenloch, William Adams, Allen Anderson, William Gibbons, Matthew Benson, Thomas Smith, John Vecandge [?], Francis Ternandol, and Allen Andrew. Notable geographic locations include St. James Parish, Goose Creek, Cooper River, and Berkeley County.
The Roslin Plantation journal, kept by Archibald Simpson Johnston, documented enslaved people and slave labor on an antebellum plantation for two years (1813-1815). The journal documents correspondence, equipment, planting and harvesting, livestock, slaves and supplies related to the plantation. There are detailed descriptions of tasks and number of enslaved people working each task, particularly tasks regarding growing cotton and rice and maintainining those fields.
A black an white photograph of an engraving on a punch bowl featuring a vignette of a women gathering what appear to be artichokes while the man on the left looks to be primed to chop wood (center). The word 'Perseverance' is engraved underneath.
A black and white photograph close-up of the engraving on a punch bowl of a laurel with the initials 'J.M.' engraved within and the date of '1828' engraved below. The 'M' is thought to stand for Miller.
Copy of a plan of lots No.1-7, 9-11 on Cumberland Street in Charleston, Ward No.3. Indicates some buildings including a brick stable at No. 9 and DeBorr’s house and lot. “Lands of Mr. Edwards" is written above the lots. Names associated with this plat include De Borr, Edwards, and Charles Parker. Notable geographic locations include Church Street, Corr Alley or Philadelphia Street, Cumberland Street, and Ward Number 3.
Receipt book belonging to Mary Motte Alston Pringle containing recipes, methods and remedies for food, housekeeping, and medicine from family, friends, articles and world travelers. Pringle often notes on effectiveness and provides personal anecdotes. Pages numbered 74 through 97 in Pringle's book are blank and therefore omitted. The table of contents can be found at the end of the book.
A cash book for Robert F.W. Allston for the years 1823-1843. The book includes account transactions conducted by Allston including payment of overseer wages, the hiring out of enslaved people, transportation, taxes, governesses, nurses, crops, sundries, and cloth distributed to slaves. This book also includes accounts between Allston and other individuals including the Estate of Charlotte A. Allston (primarily for the purchases of blankets, shoes, and cloth for enslaved people) and an account with Mary P. Jones. The last several pages of the book contain cash ledgers. Allston explicitly notes accounting related to Matanza Plantation, later known as Chicora Wood. Other account records do not explicitly state plantation sites.
1850-1859, 1870-1879, 1860-1869, 1840-1849, 1830-1839, and 1820-1829
This is the plantation register by Mathurin Guerin Gibbs (1788-1849) for Rice Hope Plantation (January 1, 1824 to December 1844) and Jericho Plantation (December 1844 to 1875). Gibbs, a lawyer before becoming a planter, used the first several pages of the manuscript dating January 1824 to May 1829 for summarizing legal cases. The plantation register primarily documents daily labor activities on the plantation including cultivation and harvesting of staple crops such as corn, cotton (Sea Island Cotton and Santee black seed cotton), rice and potatoes, livestock, and building fences. Gibbes also writes about the use and management of slave labor, the movement of enslaved people between the plantation and Charleston, and selling and purchasing of enslaved people. Slave names are included in portions of the register. Gibbs notes throughout the register the struggles he encounters as a planter including being unable to pay the mortgage of Rice Hope Plantation and the property going into foreclosure. Most of the entries at the end of the register are regarding slave births, slave deaths and distribution of blankets. Gibbs died in 1849 and the management of the plantation was carried out by his son.
Printed broadside includes description of curriculum, rules of conduct, tuition and refereces. Madame Rosalie Acelie Togno opened her french and english boarding school for young ladies in Charleston under the patronage of James Louis Petigru in 1854. Initially located on Tradd Street, the school and dormitory for students was relocated to Meeting Street soon after. Togno was a fluent speaker of french and arrived in Charleston by way of New York. Her strict teaching style set new standards for education in antebellum Charleston and students were instructed in science, history, geograph and writing . Madame Togno's students included such notable women as Adele Allston Vanderhorst and Elizabeth Allston Waties Pringle. During the Civil War, Togno relocated her school to Barhamville, South Carolina but was forced to flee South Carolina soon after.
Volume contains a chronological record (1855-1856) of the number of bushels, tolls, vessels on which the rice arrived, names of individuals (plantation owners), where the rice was stored (floor and "binn") and the marks used, the names of factors, the vessels on which rice was shipped, and other data. Mill accounts contain expenses for rice, drayage, coopers, carpenters, watchman, Negroes (hire), labor, salaries of various individuals, repairs, baskets and brooms, rice, cords of wood, poles, barrels, mill stones, wharf building, cart license, a butcher's bill, horses, insurance on rice, discount on a note, sales of rice, ironwork, sweep chimney, blacksmith work, and other expenses. Income is from cash received at mill, from various individuals for rice flour and rice, from freight and tolls on rice, from notes, and from other items. The Cannonsborough Mills, begun in 1825 by former Governor Thomas Bennett, included twenty-two pestles driven by steam and fourteen pestles run by tide power. Its property fronted Ashley River a third of a mile. In 1847 Bennett deeded the property to his son-in-law, Jonathan Lucas, III. The larger of the Cannonsborough mills burnt in February of 1860.
Records chiefly consist of membership rolls for volunteer fire companies of Charleston (S.C.) including the Eagle Fire Engine Company, the Charleston Fire Engine Co., the Vigilant Fire Engine Co., Marion Fire Co., Aetna Fire Co., Washington Fire Co., Hope Fire Co., Charleston Fire Company of Axemen, Palmetto Fire Co., German Fire Co., and the Phoenix Fire Company. Also included is a printed blank form that certifies the bearer is an active firefighter and therefore exempt from Confederate military service. Printed on the certificate are two images of fire engines.