This is a Sandy Island plantation journal written inside of The South Carolina and Georgia Almanac for the year 1792. The plantation journal documents the planting of crops (rice, corns, and potatoes), the maintenance of ditches and drains, slave records, complications with the hiring of an overseer, livestock, and business relations with Laurel Hill Plantation.
Excerpts from minutes of "the regular monthly meeting held in their hall July 4, 1887" concern the election of J. Powell Reid as treasurer of the Mechanics' Union No. 1. The Mechnic's Union No. 1 was a trade union organized in Charelston in 1869.
One of three scrapbooks compiled by William Henry Johnson containing, among other materials, photographs depicting scenes of the South Carolina Lowcountry, with descriptive notes. Volume 1 includes photographs depicting cemeteries, churches, plantations, historic buildings, ruins, landscapes, and the interiors of buildings. Subjects include locations in Berkeley County, St. Johns (Berkeley) Parish, Goose Creek, and along the Cooper River. Other sites and subjects include Belmont, Black Oak Church, Bluford, Casada, Cedar Grove, Cedar Spring, Comingtee, a Prioleau family burial ground, Crowfield, Dean Hall Plantation, Dockon Plantation, Eutaw, Eutaw Springs, Exeter, Fairspring, Fort Dorchester, Four Hole Swamp, Gippy, Gravel Hill, the gravestone of Susan Bee, Hanover Plantation, Indian Fields Campground, Ingleside, Indianfield, Liberty Hall Club, Lewisfield, Magnolia Cemetery, monument of Col. Hezekiah Maham, grave of Major Majoribanks, Medway Plantation, Mepkin, a milestone by the Cooper River, Moorfield, Mount Pleasant Plantation, Mulberry Castle, North Hampton, Numertia, The Oaks Plantation, Ophir, Otranto Hunting Club, Parnassus, Pimlico, Pinegrove, Pond Bluff, Pooshee Plantation, John Poppenheim's plantation, Quarter house, Red Bank Hunting Club, an Episcopal church in Pineville, Rice Hope Plantation, The Rocks, St. James Goose Creek church, St. Johns Berkeley rectory site, St. Johns AME Church, a St. Julien family house, a Santee Canal lock, "Sarrazin house," a shanty, Somerset Plantation, Somerton Plantation, "Francis Marion spring," Springfield, Stoney Landing, Strawberry Chapel, Ten Mile Hill, Thoroughgood, Wadboo Barony, Wadboo bridge, Walnut Grove, Walworth, Wampee, Wampoolah, Wappetaw, Washington Plantation, the Whaley place, White Hall, Wiskinboo, Woodlawn, and Yeamans Hall.
A handwritten letter from Dr. Joshua Flagg to his father Dr. Arthur B. Flagg regarding payments for former patients as well as a note about bushels of rice. The back of the letter includes a list of items and medical fees with associated figures in dollars.
The Rose Hill Time Book is a record of the tasks completed on the property and the figures related to pay for working these tasks starting in the month of July and ending in the month of December of 1878. Also included in this account are the names of the laborers on site. This location was once known as "Rose Hill Plantation" prior to the Civil War and this Time Book represents the agricultural labor of freedmen post Civil War during the era of Reconstruction. The names of the laborers are listed as: Abby, Adam, Bacus, Balinda, Ben, Berry, Bess, Billy, Bina, Binky, Blake, Brooks, Butler, Caroline, Catharina, Ceasar, Charity, Charlot, Chas, Cinty, Clay, Cloe, Curry, Dafney, Daniel, Dareus, David, Ellen, Eve, Fanny, Fay, Flora, Franky, Friday, Gibs, Hacklus, Hanah, Hariet , Hariott, Harot, Henry, Isaac, Israil, Jacob, James, Jane, January, Jerry, Jim/Jimm/Jimmy, Joana, Jock, John, Josiah, Judy, Julian, Jun, Laury ,Leah ,Leny, Lesby, Liddy, London, Luck , Maria, Mary, Maryann, Mily, Mingo, Morris, Moses, Ned , Patience, Patima, Patty, Peggy, Peter, Phillip, Pompy, Primus, Prince ,Queen, Richard ,Rob, Robert, Robin, Rose ,Saby, Sally, Sam, Sambo , Sampson ,Scilla, Scipio, Sealy, Sharlott, Silvey, Smart, Sory, Stephen, Tamar, Thomas, Toby, Tom, Tug, Violet, William.