Outline (draft) describing the aim of the architectural survey, elements contributing to the loss of buildings, elements contributing to the preservation of historic buildings, features of the present trend of preservation, the inventory procedure, zoning, legal aspects, and financial aspects of preservation.
This newsletter from the Preservation Society of Charleston provides an update on the Plantation House at the Navy Yard; the Lining House; the Primrose House; the Gadsden House; 42 Society Street; 48 Laurens Street; 179 Rutledge Avenue; 6 Chalmers Street, the Old Slave Mart; 72 Tradd Street; and 1 Pitt Street.
This newsletter features reports regarding preservation of properties along the Cooper River waterfront, a report regarding the use of the Revolving Fund, a message from the Preservation Society of Charleston, a membership form, and a meeting notice. Photographs are included.
A four-page typed document chronicling the history of the Ansonborough property from 1696 with Isaac Mazyck's Propietary Grant through the segmentation of the property beginning in 1759 through a purchase in 1904. The development of the various streets in the Ansonborough area and the building of houses is also discussed.
Letter to Harold A. Mouzon from Albert Simons (Oct. 8, 1942) regarding a discussion about the Civic Services Committee at a recent meeting, in which he outlines his position about the remodeling of buildings, housing, and land use; specifically how to house the influx of new residents of Charleston due to the war effort. With annotations.
Provided on the front of this two-sided typed document is information regarding the property at the East end of Calhoun Street, known as Gadsden's Wharf. The land ownership is traced back to 1696 under Issac Mazyck. Land development beginning in 1746 under Captain George Anson is also discussed, including the construction of a canal and wharf in Charleston. Changes in street names since the city's early days are also mentioned. A small piece of paper taped to the back reads: "Kindness of: Mr. Gedney M. Howe."
This one-page typed document provides information regarding the property at the East end of Calhoun Street, known as Gadsden's Wharf. The land ownership is traced back to 1696 under Issac Mazyck. Land development beginning in 1746 under Captain George Anson is also discussed, including the construction of a canal and wharf in Charleston. Changes in street names since the city's early days are also mentioned.
In this one-page typed bulletin, Green discusses the ownership and occupancy histories of 42 Anson Street; 44 Anson Street; 46 Anson Street; 48 Anson Street; and 50 Anson Street. Also focuses on Martin Dowd's properties in Charleston, including 53 Tradd Street.
This three-page typed document details the use of monies in the Historic Charleston Foundation Revolving Fund, stipulated by six points written by the Foundation. Six plans for purchase of properties are also included.
This four-page brochure includes background information on the Ansonborough Rehabilitation Project and Revolving Fund, photographs and information about Ansonborough homes, and a map of Ansonborough. Homes listed include 40 Society Street; 42 Society Street; 44 Society Street; 56 Society Street; 66 Anson Street; 63 Anson Street; 71 Anson Street; 72 Anson Street; 55 Laurens Street; 48 Laurens Street; 332 East Bay Street; and 329 East Bay Street.