Organized in Charleston, SC, about 1798, the Irish Volunteers Company included many prominent members of the Hibernian Society who served as officers. As part of the 28th Regiment of the South Carolina Militia, the Irish Volunteers saw active duty in the War of 1812, the Seminole War and the Mexican War. During the American Civil War they became Company K, First Regiment, South Carolina Volunteers of the Confederate States of America Army. Notable postwar service included patrol of the Mexican border from attacks by Pancho Villa in 1916 and volunteer service in WWI as the 105th Ammunition Train. The collection contains a typescript copy of "The History of the Irish Volunteers Company" (1798-1836) by F.M. Salley, and typescript copies of minutes from 1884-1901 and 1915-1929. Typescripts were copied from the originals as part of W.P.A. projects in 1935-1937. Original pagination can be seen in the margins of the typescripts.