Framed oil painting, "Shrimp Vendor," depicting an African American man with a tray of shrimp walking by a house with iron fence and balcony, typical of Charleston homes. On long term loan to the Avery Research Center from St. Mark’s Episcopal Church.
Slave auctioneer's token, 1846. These tokens were distributed as one-cent pieces and served as advertisements for the businesses and services depicted on the coins. Face view of token reads "W.W. Wilbur Auction & Commission Merchant; Charleston, So. Ca.; Going at Only A Penny" encircling the image of an auctioneer. Obverse view of token reads "Merchants & Manufactors Agents; Collection Broker Notary Public" encircling the image of a tree.
Black cane with gold head containing the inscription "To WDC from WHJ & JMT 1910." The cane was presented to Dr. William Crum, physician, Collector of Customs in Charleston, South Carolina, and United States minister and consul general to Liberia, at a farewell banquet prior to his ambassadorial journey to Liberia. The initials signify the presenters of the cane: WHJ is William H. Johnson and JMT is J. M. Thompson, both Charleston physicians.
Framed oil portrait of Thomas Miller, African American lawyer, politician, and educator who was a South Carolina legislator, member of the U.S. House of Representatives, and first President of South Carolina State College (formerly the Colored Normal Industrial Agricultural and Mechanical College of South Carolina).
Untitled oil painting depicting a sailing vessel led by a tugboat. A buoy appears in the forefront and a city is visible in the background. Back of framed image reads "To our Friends The Sanfords; Xmas 1927; Elise and Teddy Harleston."
Five dollar bill issued by the Farmers & Exchange Bank of Charleston and dated September 28, 1853. Bill depicts an African American tending to a wagon pulled by oxen. Engraved by Toppan, Carpenter, Kasilear & Company, Philadelphia and New York.
Five dollar Confederate greenback issued on February 17, 1864 and redeemable two years after the ratification of a treaty of peace between the Confederate States of America and the United States of America. Printed by Evans & Cogswell in Charleston, South Carolina and engraved by Keatinge & Ball of Columbia, South Carolina.