Photograph of Randolph Hall, Towell Library and the cistern yard showing the aftermath of Hurricane Hugo. Construction of Randolph Hall, the most recognizable building at the College, began in 1828 under the direction of architect William Strickland. Flanking wings and portico for the main building were designed by Edward Brickell White and erected circa 1850. In 1886 the wings were destroyed by the Charleston earthquake and rebuilt between 1888 to 1894 under the direction of Gabriel Manigault.
Photograph of the Albert Simons Center for the Arts, 50 St. Philip St. Built in 1977, the center was named for Charleston architect and fine arts instructor Albert Simons, whose firm designed the building.
4 Green Way. Built circa 1817, restored 1972. Alternately used as a dormitory and faculty offices through the years, it is affectionately referred to as the "shack." It served as the first dormitory for women at the College in 1960.
Photograph of a student sitting at a desk in Buist Rivers Residence Hall, 13 College Way. Built in 1967, this four story residence hall is named after G.L. Buist Rivers, a 1916 graduate of the College and former president of the board of trustees.
Limit your search
College of Charleston Buildings and Grounds Photograph Collection✖[remove]1,059