Barnard Elliott House, 58 George St. Built in 1803 by planter Barnard Elliott. Purchased by the College in 1971 and restored by Albert Simons. Currently houses the John M. Rivers Communications Museum. Black and white, 20x25 cm.
Burnett Rhett Maybank Hall, 171 Calhoun St., during construction. Maybank Hall, situated on the College Mall across from the Robert Scott Small Building, was built in 1974 as the main classroom facility on the College campus. Two photographs are pieced together to form a panorama.
Interior view of Harrison Randolph Hall during restoration. Construction of Randolph Hall, the most recognizable building at the College, began in 1828 under the direction of architect William Strickland. Flanking wings and portico for the main building were designed by Edward Brickell White and erected circa 1850. In 1886 the wings were destroyed by the Charleston earthquake and rebuilt between 1888 to 1894 under the direction of Gabriel Manigault.
Wagener House, 6 Green Way, before renovation and relocation. Built circa 1817 and nearly demolished in 1971 to make way for the Robert Scott Small Library. Three women alumnae of the College prevented its destruction. It is believed to be named after Hancke F. Wagener, a professor of languages in the late 1800's.
Limit your search
College of Charleston Buildings and Grounds Photograph Collection✖[remove]220