William James Rivers House, 40 Coming St. Rivers House, built in 1851, was the residence of William James Rivers, historian and founder of the South Carolina Historical Society. The house was acquired by the College in 1971.
Knox-Lesesne House, 14 Green Way. Italianate style home built in 1846 by the widow of Walter Knox who had acquired the lot from the College. Alternately owned by Albert Jones, an African-American politician during Reconstruction, and later, Willie James Lesesne. The College purchased the home from Alberta S. Long in 1964.
Martindale-Bell House, 2 Green Way. Built circa 1817 by Charleston planter James Martindale on a lot purchased from the College of Charleston's Free School Lands. The house was auctioned to Sally Johnston, a "free person of color", in 1844 and remained in her descendant's hands until acquired by the College in 1972.
Believed to be the interior of 72 George St. during renovation. Built circa 1837, this Greek Revival house was moved 90 degrees to make way for Physicians Auditorium. It has housed faculty offices since 1972.
Limit your search
College of Charleston Buildings and Grounds Photograph Collection✖[remove]1,059