Main caption: 'Incidents of the Earthquake at Charleston.--drawn by Schell and Hogan.--[see page 590.]' Caption top left: 'In front of the Charleston Hotel.' Caption top right: 'looking over the roofs.' Caption middle: 'A camp on the East Battery.' Caption bottom left: 'The front wall gone.' Caption bottom center: 'In a rich man's garden.' Caption bottom right: ' On the track.' [full date September 11, 1886.]
Caption: 'After The Earthquake At Charleston.--drawn by W.A. Rogers and W.P. Snyder from sketches by Frederic Remington and A.J. Gustin.--[see page 610.]' Individual captions: (top left): 'Open air preaching.' (top right): Subsistence committee.' (bottom left): 'Negro prayer-meeting.' (bottom right): 'Relief committee.' [full date September 18, 1886.]
Caption: 'The Ruins Of Charleston.--photographed by W.E. Wilson, Savannah, Georgia. 1. The Guard House. 2. St. Michael's Church. 3. News and Courier Office. 4. St. Philip's Church. 5. No.27 Broad Street. 6. Hibernian Hall. 7. The Medical College.'