Accepting Applications for Temporary Staff Position at LCDL!
The Lowcountry Digital Library (LCDL) is currently seeking to fill a part-time staff position for a period of approximately six months for the digitization and description of archival materials. Please see the below job description for further detail. Please send a letter of application along with an up-to-date CV to Tyler Mobley at email@example.com.
Job Description – Digitization and Metadata Specialist
This is a temporary, 20-hour/week, staff position in the Lowcountry Digital Library (LCDL) at the College of Charleston Library lasting approximately six months. This position will be responsible for the digitization and description of archival materials for LCDL member institutions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Properly handle fragile and rare archival materials.
- Support the preparation of materials for scanning.
- Digitize documents and photographs. Import digital files into Photoshop. Batch process files in Photoshop.
- Create metadata to describe digitized materials. Ensure metadata created meets LCDL standards and is MODS compliant.
- Upload metadata and digital files into LCDL’s ingestion client, OpenWMS.
- Contributes to digital library social media accounts to promote collections.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree with 1 year experience in an academic library environment. Digital library and metadata creation experience preferred. A student pursuing their MLIS with an interest in digital libraries would be ideal.
- Experience working with members of a project team.
- Working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and database software applications.
- Experience working with digital assets and digital technologies.
- Sensitivity to and experience handling library or archival materials required.
- Knowledge of contemporary metadata standards (Dublin Core, MODS, etc.) required.
- Experience using digitization equipment required.
- Experience using Adobe Photoshop required.
- Attention to detail required.
- Sound judgment to identify and report problems to supervisors and contribute to resolving them required.
- Prior experience working in a digital library preferred.
How to Apply:
- Please send a letter of application along with a copy of your CV to Tyler Mobley at firstname.lastname@example.org.