What to See, Where to Go in Historic Charleston
IN HISTORIC CHARLESTON CHARLESTON, first called Charles Town, named after Charles IX of France was settled by English colonists under William Sayle in 1670. The first settlement was on the west bank of the Ashley River and in 1680 the present site was occupied. It was granted by Charles II of England to a group of proprietors, chief among whom was Ashley Cooper, Earl of Shaftsbury. The two rivers between which Charleston lies were named after him. Colonists came from all parts of England, the Continent and the West Indies, among whom the French Huguenots have played an important part in the city's history. Have You ONE HOUR.. Then see: At the foot of King Street on Murray Boulevard and facing south one sees directly ahead James Island on which in 1704 was built Fort Johnson. In 1765 colonists captured this fort and defied the British, the first colonial outbreak. To the eastward is the channel to the Atlantic Ocean in the center of which on a shoal stands Fort Sumter, at which the first shot of the Civil War was fired. Named after Revolutionary general. S'till further eastward is Sullivan's Island, on which stood Fort Moultrie, built in 1776 and named after Col. William Moultrie. Here the colonists won the first complete American Victory of the Revolution when an attack of the British fleet was repulsed. During this engagement Sergeant Jasper leaped outside the fort and rescued the American flag which had been shot down. Edgar Allen Poe served here 1827-28. Nearer and a little to the north of east is Shute's Folly Island, on which stood Castle Pickney, a fort built 1797-1804. Proceeding to the east along the sea wall make the circuit of the Battery on the southeast corner of which in colonial days stood Fort Wilkins and later during the Civil War the Confederate Battery Ramsey, many of whose guns are still there. In the park is a fountain commemorating the Confederate dead. Also the Jasper monument. Along South Battery to Church Street passing William Washington House (9 South Battery) built in 1768 by Thomas Savage) and the Villa Margharita. Turn north on Church Street. On the west just before reaching Water Street are the two George Eveleigh Houses, one built prior to 1733 and the other 1743-53. A block further is the First Baptist Church, the first Baptist organization in VISIT The Century House 11 MEETING STREET Telephone 5526 For Genuine Old English Furniture, rare Old English China and Glass, Silver and Old Sheffield, Mirrors, Wing Chairs, Grandfather Clocks, Wag-on-th'-Wall Clocks, Duncan Phyfe Dining Tables, Pie Crust and Tip Tables, very fine pieces of Old Walnut and Old Oak. NO REPRODUCTIONS INSPECTION INVITED Marguerite Valk 78 CHURCH STREET Phone 4277 Opp. Brewton Inn. ANTIQUES From Historic Homes in Charleston. OLD PANELLING -- MANTELS CHINTZ LAMPSHADES GARDEN DECORATIONS Lanneau's Art Store 238 KING STREET Special Large Assortment GREETING CARDS Kodaks and Films Prompt Developing Movie Cameras and Films Dennison's Crepe Paper Souvenirs Artists' Material Numerous Novelties SEND US YOUR KODAK WORK
WHAT TO SEE--WHERE TO GO SHOP AT The Shade Shop 226-228 KING STREET GIFTS OF ALL KINDS SHADES -- GIFTS -- DRAPES RUGS -- FURNITURE Fanny Mahon King Mrs. Gadsden King LITTLE GALLERY LOCAL PAINTINGS Studio: 66 Church Street Brass Kettle Tea Room 15 ST. MICHAEL'S ALLEY The Only Tea Room in Charleston Located in Authentic Slave Quarters BREAKFAST -- LUNCH -- DINNER Open Sunday St. Andrew's Riding Academy Across the Ashley River on Magnolia Garden Road. Saddle Horses for Hire, Sale and Boarded Instruction in all kinds of riding at reasonable rates. Phone 6903 or 5242-J the South, formed 1683. Present building before 1826. The Brewton House, No. 71 Church Street, was built before 1733. Crossing Tradd Street, at No. 87 is the old Thomas Heyward House where Washington stayed in 1791. To the east of Church Street near this point was where Bennett and his forty pirates were executed. Crossing Broad and Chalmers Streets one comes1 to the French Huguenot Church on the southeast corner of Church and Queen Streets, the only Huguenot Church in America, organized 1681; built about 1690; burned 1740 and 1796; rebuilt 1797; remodeled 1845. Half block north of Queen Street is St. Philip's Church, first used 1823. Burned 1835; rebuilt 1838. Spires designed after St. Martin-in-the-Field, London. In cemetery across street are buried John C. Calhoun and Gov. Edward Rutledge, one of the Signers. On to Cumberland Street, turn west coming to Old Powder Magazine on south side of street. This is oldest building in city, now used as headquarters of Colonial Dames. Reaching Meeting Street turn south, coming to Circular Church (Congregational) on east side of street. Originally site of Independent Church (Presbyterian), burned and rebuilt in present form 1804, burned again 1861 and rebuilt. Across Meeting Street is the Gibbs Memorial Art Building. Art gallery open to public. Going South cross Queen and Chal- mer Streets and northeast corner Chalmers and Meeting Streets is1 the Fireproof Building erected 1826, first fireproof building in United States. .Washington Park lies to the east of Meeting Street. In the center is monument to Washington Light Infantry, a Confederate unit. South of it is bust of Henry Timrod, South Carolina poet (1829-1867) and to the east a monument to Gen. P. G. T. Beauregard, Confederate General. To the west is the Pitt Statue, erected to William Pitt in 1770. During the Revolution a shot from a British gun broke the arm. The statue was taken down and moved several times. Erected on present site 1881. On the southeast corner Meeting and Broad stands St. Michael's Church, cornerstone laid 1752. Opened 1761. Bells and clock brought from England 1764 and organ 1768. The bells have crossed the Atlantic five times. To the south on Meeting Street is' the South Carolina Society's Hall, founded 1737; built 1804. On the northwest corner Tradd and Meeting is the Horry House, built 1751-6. On the southwest corner is
IN HISTORIC CHARLESTON First Presbyterian Church. Built 1814 and nearly destroyed by earthquake 1886. Turn west on Tradd Street to King Street. South on King Street to starting point, passing on west (No. 27) the Pringle or Brewton House, built by Miles Brewton 1765 and used as British headquarters 1780 and Federal headquarters 1865. Open to public. OTHER PLACES OF INTEREST (Order does not indicate importance.) Tradd Street. This street is probably less touched by the changes of time than any in the City. It is considered by many artists the most picturesque and quaint. Many of the houses have recently been restored but in most instances they have been done so faithfully. The Horry House (northwest corner Tradd and Meetings Streets) is one of the most interesting in the city; Judge Robert Pringle's House (1774) at No. 70; the Sommers' House (about 1765) at No. 128; Col. John Stuart's House at No. 104; and No. 46 recently restored by Alfred Hutty and now occupied by him are all of historic and architectural interest. Leagre Street is one of the old streets where many of the most aristocratic families lived. Among the houses on this street of interest are: the George Edwards' House (1770), having fine examples of wrought iron gates; the Hey- ward House at No. 31; the Simenton Gate at No. 32. (These are known as the Sword Gates). The Charleston Museum, 121 Rutledge Avenue. Founded 1773, the oldest in America. Of particular interest to the visitor are the excellent collections of original and reproduced furniture, attire, household articles, etc., used in Charleston since its founding. Also well arranged and chosen collections of natural history, etc. This museum should be visited. Magnolia Gardens. Cross Ashley River Bridge and follow signs. About fifteen miles. Generally open from February 20 to April 20th. Magnificent azaleas in riotous color. One of America's famous beauty spots. Praised by John Galsworthy, Owen Wister, and artists from all over the world. The Citadel, on Ashley River west of Hamton Park. The Military College of the State. Originally located where Marion Square now is. Founded in 1842 it has played an important part in the city's history. THE CAROLINA 94 CHURCH STREET Antiques Rare Rugs and Articles from Abroad. PRINTS BOOKS Antiques HALBOOK ANTIQUE STUDIO EXCLUSIVE CHARLESTON ANTIQUES 75 Gadsden Street Two blocks back of Museum. One block souht of Calhoun St. Cabbage Row Bookshop 89 CHURCH. STREET New Books Old Prints LENDING LIBRARY TELEPHONE 5422
WHAT TO SEE--WHERE TO GO ALFRED HUTTY PAINTER - ETCHER EXHIBITION FORT SUMTER HOTEL STUDIO: 46 TRADD ST ANTOINETTE RHETT STUDIO: 9 LOGAN ST. ETCHINGS SAY IT WITH FLOWERS Day Phone 961 Night Phone 8306 Member, American Telegraph Florist Palmetto Floral Co. H. D. Styles EVERYTHING IN FLOWERS 379 King Street Cooper River Bridge. One of Charleston's modern points of interest. A $6,000,000 structure over two miles long across the Cooper River. It shortens the distance to the north by a great many miles. Connects with Sullivan's Island, Isle of Palms, Georgetown, etc. A splendid bird's eye view of Charleston can be obtained from the spans of this bridge. Charleston Orphan House, Calhoun and St. Philip Streets. Built 1792 and designed by Sir Christopher When. Middleton Place Gardens. A two and a half century old estate first planted by Henry Middleton and later by Arthur Middleton, one of the Signers, whose tomb is to be seen. First landscaped gardens in America. Over two hundred thousand flowering plants, azaleas, camellia, japonica, wisteria, spirea, etc. Visited annually by thousands from all over the country. Ashley River Bridge and follow signs. Marion Square. Owned by successors to Fourth Brigade State Militia and used for military exercises. Known once as Citadel Green. It contains monuments to Wade Hampton and John C. Calhoun. A part of the city's defenses against the British in 1780 stands near King Street known as Horn Wall. City Hall, N. E. Corner Meeting and Broad Streets. Built 1801. First the U. S. Bank, later Post Office. Now City Hall. Contains valuable relics, including Trumbull's portrait of Washington and Morse's (inventor of telegraph) portrait of President Monroe. The Old Post Office, East end of Broad Street. Built 1771 as the Exchange. Provincial Congress met here 1774 and established first independent government in America. Presented to Daughters of American Revolution 1913 by Act of Congress. Artists' Colony. Many artisst live in Charleston or make it their winter home. On Atlantic Street there are three studios: those of Alice R. Huger Smith, painter, at No. 8; Elizabeth O'Neill Verner, etcher, at No. 3, and Leila Waring, miniaturist, at No. 2. Anna Heyward Taylor, who went as artist on several of William Beebe's expeditions to South America, has a studio at 79 Church Street (cor. Tradd Street.) At 46 Tradd Street is the studio of Alfred Hutty, painter and etcher. He has also an exhibition of his work at the Fort Sumter Hotel. Fanny Mahon King
IN HISTORIC CHARLESTON shows her paintings of Charleston and vicinity at her studio, 66 Church Street, and Antoinette Rhett, etcher, has her studio at 9 Logan Street. Miss Payne has her studio at 47 Meeting Street. Hampton Park, Cleveland Street. Site of South Carolina interstate and West Indian Exposition, 1901-02. Recreational and botanical park. Chamber of Commerce, 50 Broad Street. Organized 1773. Oldest of its kind in United States. Information bureau for the use of tourists. Goose Creek Church, north by route 17. Built 1711 it contains Royal Arms of Great Britain emblazoned over east window. Dr. Le Jau, the first pastor, is buried at the foot of the altar. St. Andrew's Parish Church, across Ashley River Bridge, eight miles from city on route 61. Present building built 1764 after fire had destroyed original. Medway. An historic plantation. House built 1682. Beautiful gardens. Twenty miles north on route 17. Harbor Trip. Conducted by Capt. Baitary. Visiting Fort Sumter and Fort Moultrie. Both of these forts have played an important part in the history of the country. Their story is fully and interestingly told on these trips. Generally two trips daily. Foot of Agar's wharf and King Street Dock. (See Adv. p. 12.) Ashley Hall, old plantation near first Charles Town settlement. Firs towned by Stephen Bull. House built 1704. Ashley Hall School. College preparatory school. (Old Nicholson House.) 172 Rutledge Avenue. Mary Vardrine McBee, M. A., principal. Charleston Library, 16 King Street. Organized 1748. Present building 1914. City Market, Meeting and Market Streets. Built 1841. Confederate Museum, relics from Charleston of Civil War. Second floor of City Market. Col. Rhett's House, 58 Hasell Street. Built prior 1722. Beautiful architecture. Gen. Wade Hamton born here. St. Mary's Church, 79 Hassell Street. Mother Church of Catholic diocese of North and South Carolina and Georgia. Organized 1786. Colonial Lake, Rutledge Avenue, Broad to Beaufain Streets. Large artificial salt water lake. Boating, swimming. 2 ATLANTIC STREET IWttttantnBt Ate 1. if uger ^mttl| 8 ATLANTIC STREET Water Colors of the Carolina Coast Susan Pringle Frost REALTOR 57 Broad St. Phones 3496 -- 2718 Specializing in Restoring Colonial Homes. Agent for High-Class City and Country Property. VILLA MARGHERITA ON THE SOUTH BATTERY Charleston's Famous Tourist Inn
WHAT TO SEE--WHERE TO GO IN HISTORIC CHARLESTON
10 WHAT TO SEE--WHERE TO GO Marion Elizabeth Shop Hats, Gowns and Wraps Sportswear Antiques - - Etchings MODERATELY PRICED 26 MEETING One Block from Battery. PHONE 4037 Elizabeth O'Neill Verner Studio: 3 Atlantic Street Etchings of Charleston 10 A. M. to 5 P. M. ASHLEY HALL An accredited girls' school offering a broad variety of courses, including college preparation, normal kindergarten-primary course with state license. Modern equipment. Swimming pool. Mild climate. Address-- MARY V. McBEE, M. A., Principal Charleston S. C. FORT SUMTER HOTEL THE STUDIO Antiques, Audubon and Sporting Prints Views of Charleston and Vicinity Etchings -- Paneling TWO LOCATIONS 61 TRADD STREET KEY TO MAP OF CHARLESTON 1. The Battery, or White Point Gardens. 2. Fort Sumter Hotel--South end of King St. 3. Villa Margherta--South Battery at Church Street. 4. Shrine Temple--East Battery. 5. Carolina Yacht Club--East Bay. 6 m Pringle, or Miles Brewton, House- -King St. opp. Ladson St. 7. First Presbyterian Church--Meeting and Tradd. 8. South Carolina Society Hall--Meeting north of Tradd. 9. Murray Vocational School--Chisolm Street. 10. U. S. Lighthouse Depot, Old Chisolm Rice Mill Bldg.--W. end Tradd Street. 11. Old Post Office Building--E. end Broad St. 12. South Carolina National Bank--Broad and State Streets. 13. Peoples Building, Peoples First National Bank---Broad an State Streets. 14. Principal Business and Banking Section-- Broad E. of Meeting. 15. Citizens and Southern Bank--Broad and Church Streets. 16. Charleston Chamber of Commerce--Broad and Church Streets. 17. St. Michael's Episcopal Church--Broad and Meeting Streets. 18. U. S. Post Office--Broad and Meeting Streets. 19. City Hall--Broad and Meeting Streets. 20. Court House--Broad and Meeting Streets. 21. Cathedral of St. John the Baptist (Catholic) --Broad and! Legare. 22. Fireproof Building, County Treasury and Records--Meeting and Chalmers. 23. Hibernian Hall--Meeting opp. Chalmers. 24. St. John's Hotel--Meeting and Queen. 25. Huguenot Church--Church and Queen. 26. Clyde Line Offices and Docks--E. end of Queen or Vendue Range. 27. St. Philip's Episcopal Church--Church N. of Queen. 28. Pirate House--Church N. of Jueen. 29. Powder Magazine--Cumberland E. of Meeting. 30. News and Courier and Evening Post---Meeting N. of Queen. 31. Circular Church---Meeting N. of Queen. 32. Gibbes Art Building--Meeting N. of Queen. 33. Charleston Library--King N. of Queen 34. Unitarian Church--Archdale opp. Magazine and Franklin Streets. 37. Baker Sanitorium--Ashley Ave. and Beaufain Street. 38. Cooper River Ferry Wharf- -E. end of Cumberland. 39. U. S. Custom House--E. end of Market. 40. Union Pier--E. end of Market. 41. Charleston Market and Market Hall. (Confederate Museum)- Meeting and Market. 42. Charleston Hotel--Meeting and Hayne Streets. 43. S. A. L. Freight Depot--E. Bay and Hasell Streets. 44. Argyle Hotel--Meeting and Hasell Streets. 45. Beth Elohim Synagogue- -Hasell W. of Meeting. 46. St. Mary's (Catholic) Church- Hasell E. of King. 47. Artillery Hall--Wentworth E. of King. 48. Principal Shopping District--King Street N. of Broad. 49. Memminger School for Girls--St. Philip and Beaufain Streets. 50. Grace Episcopal Church--Wentworth E. of Coining. 51. Scottish Rite Cathedral--Wentworth and Smith. 52. Trinity M. E. Church--Meeting N. of Society. 53. Y. W. C. A.--Society W. of Meeting. 54. Victory Theatre--Society E. of King. 55. Old High School, originally Judge King's Residence--Meeting and George.
IN HISTORIC CHARLESTON 11 FOR LUNCH--TEA--SUPPER Brass Kettle Tea Room, 15 St. Michael's Alley. Breakfast and all meals. Open Sunday. (Adv. p. 4.) Fort Sumter Hotel Restaurant. (Adv. p. 11.) Francis Marion Hotel Restaurant and Coffee Shop. (Adv. p. 15.) Stoll's Alley Shop. (Adv. p. 11.) Villa Margherita. (Adv. p. 7.) The Farmhouse, 30 miles south on Savannah road. (Adv. p. 14.) The Carolina, Summerville. (Adv. p. 14.) FOR FLOWERS Palmetto Floral Co., King Street. Phone 961. (See Adv. p. 6.) GOLF Country Club of Charleston, 18 holes. Information at hotels. Municipal Course, 18 holes. Information at hotels. Yeaman's Hall Club, 18 holes. Private. (Key to Map of Charleston--Continued) 56. Y. M. C. A.--George W. of Meeting. 57. Gloria Theater--King N. of George. 58. College of Charleston--St. Philip and George. 59. Zion C hurch (Colored)--Calhoun E. of Meeting 60. Knights of Columbus Hall--Calhoun E. of King. 61. Garden Theater--King S. of Calhoun. 62. Bethel M. E. Church--Pitt and Calhoun Sts. 63. Charleston Museum--Rutledge Ave. and Calhoun. 64. West Point Mills (Old Rice Mills)--W. end Calhoun. 65. Citadel Square Baptist Church--Meeting 66. John C. Calhoun Monument--Marion Square. 67. Marion Square, often called Citadel Green-- Calhoun, Meeting and King. 68. The Old Citadel--Marion Square. 69. Piece of old Hornwork of City Defences-- Marion Square. 70. St. Matthew's Lutheran Church--King opp. Marion Square. 71. Francis Marion Hotel--Calhoun and King. 72. Charleston Orphan House--Calhoun and Van- derhorst. 73. St. Francis Xavier Hospital--Calhoun and Ashley Avenue. 74. S. C. Medical College--Lucas and Calhoun. 75. Roper (City) Hospital public--Lucas and Calhoun. 76. Riverside, or Thompson Memorial. Infirmary --W. end Calhoun. 77. Navy Landing--E. end Charlotte Street. 78. St. Luke's Episcopal Church--Charlotte and Elizabeth. 79. Flynn's Church, or First Presbyterian Church- Meeting and Charlotte. 80. Central Police Station--St. Philip and Van- derhorst. 81. St. Paul's Episcopal Church---Coming and Vanderhorst. 82. Charleston High School--Rutledge, opp. Vanderhorst. 83. A. C. L. Freight Depot--Chapel and Bay Streets. 84. Sou. Ry. Freight Depot--Ann W. of Meeting. A N T I Q u E s STOLL'S ALLEY SHOP LUNCH TEA GIFTS 9 STOLL'S ALLEY (Church Near Water St.) J© Telephone 4942 Fort Sumter Hotel Superbly situated on the Battery overlooking gardens, harbor and Atlantic Ocean. FIREPROOF Every Room with Private Bath WILLARD A. SENNA, Manager.
12 WHAT TO SEE--WHERE TO GO GIFTS AND ANTIQUES LIVE OAK GIFT SHOP, Inc. (Alice A. Ladue) 6 Water Street THE SCREEN SHOP (Mary M. de Merell) COR. CHURCH AND QUEEN STS. Decorative Art Screens and Lamp Shades LARGEST BOATS GO TO FASTEST BOATS Fort Sumter and Fort Moultrie With CAPT. S. E. BAITARY and get true interesting story of your trip. YACHT MARY G. MOREHEAD Adgar's Wharf and King St. Dock For Schedule, Your Hotel, or Phone 4515 or 920 $1.50 Round Trip 'Ye who love a nation's legends Love the ballads of a people, Ye, who sometimes in your rambles, Pause by some neglected graveyard, For a while to muse and ponder On some half-effaced inscription." Ye who delight in the History of this old City by the Sea will find many objects of interest. -- AT -- The Emil Antique Shop 121 King Street HUNTING PRESERVES ANTIQUES -- GIFTS Cabbage Row Book Shop, Church Street. Books, prints. (Adv. p. 5.) Carolina, The, 9 Church Street. Antiques, imported rugs, prints. (Adv. p. 5.) Century House, The, Meeting Street. Antiques. (Adv. p. 3.) Emil Antique Shop, 121 King Street. Antiques. (Adv. p. 12.) Halbook Studio, 75 Garden Street. (Adv. p. 5.) Lanneau's Art Store, King Street. Art supplies, souvenirs, gifts. (Adv. p. 3.) Live Oak, Gift Shop, Inc, 6 Water Street. Antiques. (Adv. p. 12.) Marion Elizabeth Shop, 26 Meeting Street. Sport clothes, gowns, antiques. (Adv. p. 10.) Pirate House, The, 145 Church Street. Antiques, gifts, children's clothes. (Adv. p. 2.) Screen Shop, The, Cor. Church and Queen Streets. Screens, shades. (Adv. p. 12.) Shade Shop, The, 228 King Street. Shades, rugs, drapes, gifts. (Adv. p. 4.) Stoll's Alley Shop, 9 Stoll's Alley. Antiques, gifts. (Adv. p. 11.) Studio, The, Fort Sumter Hotel and 61 Tradd Street. Antiques, prints. (Adv. p. 10.) Valk, Marguerite, 78 Church Street. Antiques, gifts, garden decorations. (Adv. p. 3.) (Key to Map of Charleston--Continued) 85. St. Patrick's Church (Catholic)--St. Philip and Radcliffe. 86. Ashley Hall (School for Girls)--Rutledge Ave. and Radcliffe. 87. Porter Military Academy---Ashley Ave. and Doughty Street. 88. Holy Communion Episcopal Church--Ashley Ave. and Cannon Street. 89. Ashley River Bridge lead to Folly Island, Magnolia Gardens, Middleton Place, Summerville, Country Club, Walterboro, Savannah, etc. 90. Union Station--Columbus and Bay Streets. 91. Columbus Street Terminals--E. end Columbus Street. 92. Cooper River Bridge leads to Mt. Pleasant, Sullivan's Island, Isle of Palms, Belle Isle, Santee River South Bridge, Georgetown, etc. 93. Stoney Field, Baseball Park--President opp. Fishburne. 94. Burke Industrial School (Colored)--President opp. Fishburne. 95. King or Meeting Streets lead North to Magnolia Cemetery, Navy Yard, North Charleston, Yeaman's Hall, Medway, Summerville, Columbia, Kingstree, etc.
IN HISTORIC CHARLESTON 13 WORMSLOE GARDENS SAVANNAH, GEORGIA HISTORIC PLANTATION One of the most beautiful plantation estates in the South. Ruins of tabbie fort (1734). Civil War Defenses. Slave cabins and cemetery. Magnificent park containing thousands of azaleas and hundreds of camelias. Smaller formal gardens. OPEN ALL YEAR PHOTOGRAPHS -- PHOTOSTATS Melcher's Studio, King Street. FLYING Municipal Airport. Ten and half miles Dorth. 3,000x3,500 feet. RIDING St. Andrew's Riding Academy. Across Ashley River on Summerville Road. Phone 6903 or 5242-J. (See Adv. p. 4.) HUNTING AND FISHING Trips can be arranged through hotels. BEACH RESORTS Folly Beach, across Ashley River Bridge, follow signs. Sullivan's Island, across Cooper River Bridge, follow signs. Isle of Palms, same as above. TENNIS Country Club of Charleston, information at hotels. Municipal Courts, information at hotels. Yeaman's Hall. Private. BOATING Power or sail boats can be obtained on river front. Anna Heyward Taylor Paintings of the Gardens and Landscapes. Block prints and textiles. Studio: 79 CHURCH ST. MELCHER'S STUDIO 278 King Street PHOTOGRAPHY PHOTOSTATIC WORK A Specialty
14 WHAT TO SEE--WHERE TO GO y IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN SAVANNAH -- YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE SOUTH £ The City of Sunshine and Beauty Ideal Climate Unexcelled Hotels GOLFING ^BOATING FISHING CHAMBER OF COMMERCE SAVANNAH THE CAROLINA SUMMERVILLE GOLF AND ALL AMUSEMENTS Luncheon and Dinner Served Ownership-Management The Carolina Hotel Company THOMAS R. MOORE, President THE FARMHOUSE GIFT SHOP TEA ROOM (On Coastal Highway) Dinner Afternoon Tea 12 to 6 3 to 6 Adams Run, S. C. PLACES OF INTEREST FOR A DAY'S TRIP To the Northeast: Leaving Charleston over the Cooper River Bridge, one can visit Georgetown (75 miles). Fair dirt roads. This is a quaint old seaport town, off the beaten track and having an atmosphere of its own. Some beautiful old houses. See there the Belle Isle Gardens. To the Northwest: There are two roads which can be taken to Summerville. One (22 miles) is all paved out Meeting Street and follow signs. Other route, a little longer over good clay roads passes Magnolia and Middleton Gardens. Cross Ashley River and follow signs. Summerville is beautifully situated among the pines. Near it is the ante-Revolutionary town, Dorchester. To the South: Leaving Charleston over the Coastal Highway (all paved) Beaufort lies 80 miles and Savannah 124 miles distant. Beaufort is a large seaport town dating from the sixteenth century. It contains some fine examples of Colonial houses. See there the old Episcopal Church and a few miles distant, ruins of Sheldon Church. Near here, also, is Parris Island, U. S. Marine base. Here is monument marking site of fort built 1562 by Jean Ribaut, who was sent by Coligny to establish Huguenot settlement. In 1565 the Spanish under Menendez de Aviles destroyed fort and killed defenders. Savannah is a charming city dating to 1733 and having many places of interest. It was founded by James Oglethorpe and here John Wesley soon established America's first Sunday School and James Whitefield founded the first orphanage, Bethesda, which still continues its work. The bloodiest battle of the Revolution where Pulaski and Sergeant Jasper were killed was fought at Savannah. From here sailed the first steamship to cross the Atlantic. The city contains many beautiful old churches and residences. It has many parks and monuments. Here should be seen Christ Church, Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences, Thomas House, Meldrim House, Independent Presbyterian Church, Low House, Pink House, Oglethorpe Monument, etc. Within a few miles of the city are Bethesda, America's first orphanage; Wormsloe Gardens, historic plantation estate; Bona- venture, Commodore Tattnall's old home site, now a cemetery; The Hermitage, once exquisite colonial residence.
IN HISTORIC CHARLESTON 15 COOPER RIVER BRIDGE CHARLESTON, S. C. "AN ENGINEERING MASTERPIECE" The Link in the Shortest Route from the North to the South. FRANCIS MARION HOTEL Charleston, S. C. A. A. A. CHARLESTON Is Proud of the FRANCIS MARION HOTEL It is Modern and is operated as a Hotel should be! The Food is Excellent "GOOD HOTELS IN GOOD TOWNS" Under Same Management HOTEL CHARLOTTE, - Charlotte, N. C. 0. HENRY HOTEL, - - Greensboro, N. C HOTEL SKYLAND, - Hendersonville, N. C. GEO. VANDERBILT HOTEL, - Asheville, N. C. HOTEL SHERATON, - - High Point, N. C. SOUTHEASTERN HOTELS CO.
16 WHAT TO SEE--WHERE TO GO BEAUTY DIGNITY HISTORY cMIDDLETON GARDENS OF MIDDLETON PLACE "OLDEST LANDSCAPE GARDENS IN AMERICA" Camellias and Azaleas in their Highest Glory Season from February through April. Tomb of Arthur Middleton, Signer Declaration of Independence "THE GARDENS YOU MUST SEE" J. J. PRINGLE SMITH, Owner On the Ashley River Road S. C. Highway No. 61 CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA
You'll enjoy Ice Cream Ice cream delivered on board ship for ship's service, ship's service stores, and all messes. OUR REPRESENTATIVE WILL BE ON BOARD UPON ARRIVAL IN CHARLESTON PHONES 80--81--806 576 MEETING STREET CHARLESTON, S. C.
PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES CALVIN COOLTDGE SECRETARY OF NAVY CURTIS D. WILBUR
- What to See, Where to Go in Historic Charleston
- W.W. De Renne
- Provides local history and information on various sites and points of interest. Also includes advertisements for local businesses, sites, artists, etc., and a map of Charleston (1930). "Winter 1929-30." Published by W.W. De Renne (Savannah, Ga.). 16 p. : ill., map ; 23 cm.
- Historic Charleston Foundation Monographs and Photographs
- Contributing Institution:
- Margaretta Childs Archives at Historic Charleston Foundation
- Media Type:
- Geographic Subject:
- Charleston (S.C.)--Description and travel, Charleston (S.C.)--Guidebooks
- Shelving Locator:
- S.C. County:
- Charleston County (S.C.)
- Material Type:
- Copyright Status Statement:
- Digital image copyright 2010, Historic Charleston Foundation. All rights reserved. For more information contact Margaretta Childs Archives at HCF, P.O. Box 1120, Charleston, SC 29402.