Charleston's Historic Houses, 1956: Ninth Annual Tours Sponsored by Historic Charleston Foundation

  • Image 01
    CHARLESTON'S HISTORIC HOUSES 1956 Visits to Private Homes MARCH 11 through APRIL 8, 1956 Sponsored by Historic Charleston Foundation Headquarters The Nathaniel Russell House 5\ Meeting Street Charleston, South Carolina Telephone 3-1168
  • Image 01
    FIRST WEEK MORNING TOUR A Sunday, March 11 — 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. H 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., March 12, 13, 14, 15, 16. WILLIAM GIBBES' HOUSE, 64 South Battery, c. 1772. Splendid Georgian mansion, has had among its owners the Rev. John Grimke Drayton, who planted the Magnolia Gardens. Noted for wonderful furniture, magnificent Adam ballroom. Home of Mr. and Mrs. Ashby Farrow. THOMAS LEGARE'S HOUSE, 90 Church Street, c. 1760. Built by a well-known Huguenot when Church Street was a lively part of Charleston's business district. Typical piazza, overlooking garden and arched brick wall, makes a charming entrance to the distinguished home of Mr. W. Lucas Simons. THOMAS ROSE'S HOUSE, 59 Church Street, c. 1735. Very handsome early Georgian house. Also said to be haunted, and by a young poet who died from a duel over an actress. Home of Mr. and Mrs. Henry P. Staats. Retains its original panelling, and is furnished with a fine collection of Adam, Chippendale and Hepplewhite. JAMES SHOOLBRED'S HOUSE, 2 Ladson Street, c. 1793. James Shoolbred, first British consul at Charleston, probably built this house when he married Mary, daughter and heiress of Thomas Middleton, of Crowfield. Unusual woodwork with fine overmantels. Home of Mr. and Mrs. B. Owen Geer. NATHANIEL RUSSELL HOUSE, 51 MEETING STREET, c. 1809. Headquarters of Historic Charleston Foundation. One of the outstanding Adam houses in America, with famous free flying staircase and oval drawing rooms. Lovely collection of furniture. Opened to the public for the first time, March 3, 1956. SECOND WEEK MORNING TOUR B Sunday, March 18 — 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., March 19, 20, 21, 22, 23. WILLIAM GIBBES' HOUSE, 64 South Battery, e. 1772. Splendid Georgian mansion, has had among its owners the Rev. John Grimke Drayton, who planted the Magnolia Gardens. Noted for wonderful furniture, magnificent Adam ballroom. Home of Mr. and Mrs. Ashby Farrow. COLONEL JOHN STUART'S HOUSE, 106 Tradd Street, c. 1772. Peak of Georgian design in this part of world. Built by Colonel Stuart, Commissioner of Indian affairs, who later lost his home for being a royalist during the Revolution. The splendid woodwork, doorways and mantels, serve as an admirable background for the furniture and portraits of the owners, Mr. and Mrs. John D. Wing. WILLIAM ELLIOTT'S HOUSE, 75 King Street, c. 1739. A fine early example of Charleston architecture, with good primitive decoration in the panelling throughout. Little altered. Home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles L. Paul, III. WILLIAM HENDRICK'S BUILDINGS, 83 Church Street, c. 1749. A charming bit of imaginative restoration, representing the best that has been done in Charleston. Restored in 1936 by Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds D. Brown. NATHANIEL RUSSELL HOUSE, 51 MEETING STREET, c. 1809. Headquarters of Historic Charleston Foundation. One of the outstanding Adam houses in America, with famous free flying staircase and oval drawing rooms. Lovely collection of furniture. Opened to the public for the first time, March 3, 1956. OPEN HOUSE SERIES Schedule for 1956—March 11 through April 8 Visitors may see Charleston's homes at their pleasure, not in groups; and at any time during the hours the homes are open. THIRD WEEK MORNING TOUR C COL. OTHNIEL BEALE'S HOUSE 1740 WILLIAM GIBBES' HOUSE 1772 THOMAS LEGARE'S HOUSE 1760 SPECIAL FRIDAY EVENING VISIT Friday Evenings, 8 p.m. to 10 p.m., March 16, 23, 30, April 6. BRANFORD-HORRY HOUSE, 59 Meeting Street, c. 1751. This distinguished Georgian double house built by William Branford, about 1830. His grandson, Elias Horry, ex-intendant of Charleston, and president of the South Carolina Railroad, added the porch over the street. The panelled interiors are unusual, and are handsomely furnished with fine English and American pieces of Colonial Charleston. The collection of porcelains is outstanding. The home of Mrs. Percy Gamble Kammerer. Sunday, March 25 — 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., March 26, 27, 28, 29, 30. WILLIAM GIBBES' HOUSE, 64 South Battery, c. 1772. Splendid Georgian mansion, has had among its owners the Rev. John Grimke Drayton, who planted the Magnolia Gardens. Noted for wonderful furniture, magnificent Adam ballroom. Home of Mr. and Mrs. Ashby Farrow. SIMMONS-EDWARDS HOUSE, 14 Legare Street, c. 1800. Built by Francis Simmons who created a Charleston mystery by leaving his wife the hour he married her. House embellished with elaborate and pure Adam decoration, beautifully furnished. The extensive gardens are as handsome as the fine iron grill and fence added by George Edwards in 1816. The home of Mr. and Mrs. Bushrod B. Howard. MRS. WILLIAM HEYWARD'S HOUSE, 31 Legare Street, c. 1789. Built by a member of one of the greatest rice-planting families of the Low Country. Fine panelling and delicate Adam ornament, particularly noteworthy drawing room with half-round bay with palladian window. One of Charleston's haunted houses. Horn* of Mr. and Mrs. Augustine T. Smythe. GEORGE EVELEIGH'S HOUSE, 39 Church Street, c. 1738. Built by Eveleigh whose great Indian trade went as far west as tht Mississippi. Its street was a creek when it was built. Long the home of Miss Mary O. Marshall and her family. Most of the furniture is of Charleston origin, and for generations in owner's family. NATHANIEL RUSSELL HOUSE, 51 MEETING STREET, c. 1809. Headquarters of Historic Charleston Foundation. One of the outstanding Adam houses in America, with famous free flying staircase and oval drawing rooms. Lovely collection of furniture. Opened to the public for the first time, March 3, 1956. FOURTH WEEK MORNING TOUR D Sunday, April 8 — 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., April 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. WILLIAM GIBBES' HOUSE, 64 South Battery, c. 1772. Splendid Georgian mansion, has had among its owners the Rev. John Grimke Drayton, who planted the Magnolia Gardens. Noted for wonderful furniture, magnificent Adam ballroom. Home of Mr. and Mrs. Ashby Farrow. COLONEL OTHNIEL BEALE'S HOUSE, 101 East Bay, e. 1740. Othniel Beale, immigrant from New England, Colonel of provincial troops in charge of strengthening the town's fortifications, built on this property just after the great fire of 1740. Handsome rooms, panelled with Low Country cypress, show how merchant of Charleston lived. Home of Justice and Mrs. Lionel K. Legge. JOSEPH WINTHROP'S HOUSE, 129 Tradd Street, e. 1797. Restrained Adam style of principal rooms practically in original condition, built by Joseph Winthrop, of New England, who married a sister of Charles Fraser, the miniaturist. Residence of Admiral and Mrs. William S. Popham. THE INGLIS ARCH HOUSE, 91 East Bay. Since before 1730 the arched passage-way under this house has been an East Bay landmark. Through the years houses have been built and rebuilt over it. The present one, in the center of colorful Rainbow Row, is the interesting and lovely home of Mrs. Calvin McGowan. NATHANIEL RUSSELL HOUSE, 51 MEETING STREET, e. 1809. Headquarters of Historic Charleston Foundation. One of the outstanding Adam houses in America, with famous free flying staircase and oval drawing rooms. Lovely collection of furniture. Opened to the public for the first time, March 3, 1956.
  • Image 01
    HISTORIC CHARLESTON FOUNDATION The Foundation, which each year sponsor* the tours of Charleston's Historic Houses, was incorporated in 1947. It is a non profit organization dedicated to the preservation of Charleston's historic architectural heritage. Through the proceeds from its Tours of private homes, and through many generous gifts, which are tax deductible, it has purchased the Nathaniel Russell House. This it will maintain as a house museum, and the proceeds of the 1956 Tours will go to its maintenance and improvement. At the same time the Foundation is continuing its efforts to prevent the destruction of other important buildings and areas. The Tours are planned each year to coincide with the spring blooming season, when the city, and the famous gardens, Magnolia, Middleton and Cypress are at their most beautiful. The owners of the Historic private homes opened on the tours, lend them to the Foundation at this time only, making possible the maintenance of the Russell House, and assisting in the preservation of Historic Charleston. Rooms in Private Homes May be obtained through this office. We advise that all reservations be made in advance. HOTELS, INNS AND MOTOR COURTS St. John Hotel—Single, $5; Double, $8 to $10. Brewton Inn—Single, $5; Double, $7 up. Fort Sumter Hotel—Single, $5 up; Double, $8 up. Francis Marion Hotel—Single, $4.50 up; Double, $7.00 up. Brookgreen Meadows Court—Double, $8. Lord Ashley Motor Court—Double, $8.50 up. Old Town Motor Court—Double, $8.50 up. Travelodge Motor Court—Double, $5.50 up. Mount Vernon Court—Double, $7 up. Holiday Inn—Single $5 up. Double $6 up. Squirrel Inn—Summerville, S. C. Carolina Inn—Summerville, S. C. COURTESY INFORMATION CHARLESTON: Saturday, March 10, 1 P.M.—Plantation Tour, St. Philip's Women's Auxiliary. Saturday, March 17, 2:30 P.M.—Tour of Town Houses, Women of St. Michael's. Wednesday and Saturday Evenings, March 21, 24, and April 4, 8:30 P.M. Candlelight Concerts at Heyward-Washington House. Friday, March 23, and Friday, April 6—Concert by Society for the Preservation of Negro Spirituals: 8:30 P.M. Foot- light Players Workshop. Saturday, March 24, 2:30 P.M.—Tour of Town Houses, St. Philip's Women's Auxiliary. Saturday, March 31, 3 P.M. to 6 P.M.—7 P.M. to 10 P.M. Tour of Town Houses, Charleston Garden Club. Saturday, April 7, 1:30 P. M. Plantation Tour, Women of St. Michael's. VIRGINIA, MARYLAND, PENNSYLVANIA, ANNAPOLIS Historic Garden Week in Virginia, April 21 to April 28. Headquarters, Room 3, Jefferson Hotel, Richmond 19, Virginia. Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage, April 25 through May 6. Headquarters, 217 Sheraton-Belvedere Hotel, Baltimore, Md. Pennsylvania House and Garden Tour, April 29 through May 2. Headquarters, Penn-Sheraton Hotel, 39th at Chestnut, Philadelphia, Pa. NINTH ANNUAL SERIES OF VISITS MARCH 11 THROUGH APRIL 8, 1956 Fifteen Private Homes Open to Visitors There will be a series of four visits with five beautiful homes on each visit. Daily, Monday through Friday, these homes will be open in the morning from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.; and again on Sunday afternoons, with the exception of Easter Sunday, from 2 to 5 p.m. A home will be shown every Wednesday evening from 8 to 10 p.m. There are no Foundation tours on Saturday. HEADQUARTERS THE NATHANIEL RUSSELL HOUSE 51 Meeting Street Historic Charleston Foundation in April 1955, through an anonymous donation, matched by local subscription, purchased the magnificent Nathaniel Russell House, built about 1809. During the summer and winter months the house was restored, and thi* March, opened to the public for the first time. Its beautiful rooms, with their elaborate Adam_ decoration are now furnished. The ReceptioHTRoom is used as Headquarters by the Foundation. Here tickets may be purchased for the House Visits, and full information secured on Charleston and its environs. Tickets are also on sale at local hotels. No Tickets For Sale In The Homes. The Nathaniel Russell House is included on each of the four tours sponsored by the Foundation. It may also be visited separately at a charge of $1.00 per person. BOOKLET AND SLIDES The Foundation publishes an illustrated booklet describing the homes open on the Tours with many photographs, and including a short history of Charleston. This booklet is given everyone purchasing a ticket. Additional copies may be purchased at the Russell House for fifty cents. There are also koda- chrome slides of the exteriors and interiors of the homes for sale there. TRAINED HOSTESSES ON HAND At the Russell House and at all the private homes opened to the public, visitors are conducted by ho»- tesses. The homes on tour may be visited in any order desired. A ticket is good for the entire one week a tour is scheduled, and entitles the visitor to one admission to each house at any time during the hours the house is open. Transportation when needed can be secured at an additional charge. All of the homes are located within a ten-block area, and it is usually pleasant to make the visits on foot. TARIFF DAYTIME TOURS (A, B, C, D): Fee for each tour $4.00. Russell House Only: Fee $1.00. Friday Evening: One house only. Fee $1.00. Tickets are on sale only at the Russell House, 51 Meeting Street, and at local hotels.
  • Image 01
    HISTORIC HOUSES 1956 Ninth Annual Tours Sponsored by Historic Charleston Foundation Headquarters The Nathaniel Russell House 51 Meeting Street Charleston, S. C.
  • Image 01
    In sincere gratitude to those without whose generous assistance the acquisition and renovation of the Nathaniel Russell House by Historic Charleston Foundation could not have been accomplished; To the first donor, who has preferred to remain anonymous, whose gift of Thirty-two-thousand, five hundred dollars gave to what had been an apparently unattainable dream the foundation of possibility; To the many friends whose united gifts matched in amount the first donation and with it provided the Foundation with the funds necessary to purchase the house; To the other anonymous donor, who gave the sum of thirty-two thousand, five hundred dollars which has made possible much of the restoration of which the building stood in need; And finally to Nathaniel Russell, whose energy, business ability, ambition and good taste, produced this house of which we are all so proud. Tms Page Donated by SOUTH CAROLINA ELECTRIC & GAS COMPANY
  • Image 01
    NATHANIEL RUSSELL HOUSE c. 1809 51 Meeting Street Headquarters Historic Charleston Foundation
  • Image 01
    The Nathaniel Russell House In mid-February, 1955, Charleston had to face a cultural challenge. The Nathaniel Russell property was threatened with subdivision. One of the most distinguished historic homes in the United States, the house stood in its own ample grounds, at the very heart of Charleston's history. This Foundation at once offered to take charge of the property, could it be saved, and then sought the purchase price of $65,000. For eight years, through the generosity of the owners of many of Charleston's finest private homes, illustrated elsewhere in this booklet, we had conducted Tours each spring. Almost all the money raised through this work had been carefully invested, so that though the Foundation was in no position to undertake the purchase and maintenance of so large a property itself, it was nevertheless substantial enough to warrant the trust of others. The City, through Mayor Morrison, joined in the effort by getting an option on the property. Just ten days before this expired, $32,500 was guaranteed anonymously, if the rest could be raised. The city, the Press, and the public of Charleston, with many friends in other parts of the country, aided the Foundation in an enthusiastic campaign. In the alloted time, by nearly a thousand contributions of sums from a dollar upward, the purchase price was oversubscribed! For the many repairs and restoration that were found vitally necessary, another large sum was contributed anonymously. The Foundation added money of its own for the work which was soon begun, and has been completed in time for the house to be put on exhibition almost a year, to the day, after our efforts were begun. Generous and appropriate gifts, loans, and contributions have enabled us partly to furnish the house in the style of Nathaniel Russell's times. Two of his portraits are notable loans. One, by Savage, shows him in 1789. The other, by Jarvis, gives his likeness as an old man, while he lived here. His house is a distinguished monument to Charleston's fortunate years between 1800 and the War of 1812. By then Russell had spent much of his life in this city. Born in 1738, the son of a Chief Justice of Rhode Island, he became a merchant here by 1769, and was prominent in business before the Revolution. After the war he was the acknowledged head of a considerable coterie of expatriate New Engenders, and popularly known as "the King of the Yankees." In 1819 they would make him the first president of their New England Society. Before 1800 the great merchants of Charleston lived along East Bay, over their places of business and across the street from the wharfs where their goods came and went. With the new century, sneh men made homes elsewhere. At the same time the architectural
  • Image 01
    style popularized by the Scottish Adams through the English aristocracy took over this American town. Conservatively, Russell lived on the bay until 1807, though two daughters, almost old enough to marry, doubtlessly urged him off. When he began building on the big lot by Meeting Street that he had bought in 1784, he frankly set out to excel. Charleston s architects and craftsmen had by then had half a dozen years experience with the spiralling stairs, the bays, and the elegant precision of detail that made the "Age of Adam" here. Such men were employed "regardless of coast, not by contract, but by day's labor," to give the Russells (what was still considered fifty years afterwards), "the finest establishment in Charleston." Finished at a cost of over $80,000, the family resided there by the time the Directory for 1809 was being prepared. And in that year the elder Miss Russell married young Arthur Middleton, of Stono, nephew and namesake of the Signer, and of the top-flight of planter families. The house is an exercise in ellipses. The subtle curves appear in the plans of rooms, of the astonishing flying stairs, and in the balconies about the middle story. Ellipses repeat also in the principal windows and doorways, and one frames the monogram of Nathaniel Russell in the balcony railing above the entrance. (HHH| The interiors speak beautifully for themselves. The exteriors show a culmination of a style begun in 1800 at Vander Horst Row, and the Blacklock House at 18 Montague Street. Two sorts of brick, marble, wood, and wrought-iron are combined with structural logic in what is also jj a composition of contrasting text- ■ ures, colors, and forms. A high middle story is pulled into pro- i portion by the arches flung over the windows, and these strength- I-; en and lighten the walls. Balcon- ies permit the tall windows to Iftti^ open from the floor. So cumber some piazzas were avoided, and the copious ventilation Charlestonians demand was obtained. Even the fashion of laying the good Carolina gray brick in the walls is a study in real elegance of workmanship. After the War of 1812 the house became such a disproportionate part of Russell's property that he willed it should be carried at $38,000 when his two daughters shared the estate. In 1857, the younger •£ 3 «■
  • Image 01
    sister, Mrs. Dehon, sold the house for about this amount to Robert F. W. Allston. The lady was the widow of South Carolina's second Episcopal bishop—the gentleman, then governor of the state, and a great planter. During the Confederacy, Robert E. Lee came to this house to flutter with his very great charm the hearts of the lovely Allston women, and set them to such flirtatious tasks as hemming his handkerchiefs. After the war, those same women made their livings, for a while, teaching a girls' school in these same high parlors. The house long remained a school, for it was bought in 1870 for the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy who made it their convent and taught two generations of Charleston girls in it. When the family of the late Lane Mullally bought it in 1908, it again became a private residence. In 1913 it came to be the home of a woman who had long loved it. Mrs. Francis J. Pelzer (II) was Virginian by descent, Charlestonian by adoption and grace, and the daughter-in-law of one of the first of the southern builders of great cotton mills. For forty years she made this mansion a fond mistress, adding to it such distinguished details as the fine fencing along Meeting Street, which she had designed from old Charleston examples. Three years after Mrs. Pelzer's death, the house came to the Foundation. COMMITTEES OF RUSSELL HOUSE Governing Board Mr. Henry P. Staats, Chairman Mr. Ben Scott Whaley Mrs. S. Henry Edmunds Miss Josephine Pinckney Mrs. Coming Ball Gihbs Mr. S. Lewis Johnson Mr. L. Louis Green, III Mr. Bobert M. Hollings Mr. Samuel G. Stoney Building Committee Mr. H. P. Staats Mr. Albert Simons Mr. E. Gaillard Dotterer Mr. C. Bissell Jenkins, Jr. Mrs. Lionel K. Legge Furnishings and Decoration Committee Miss Josephine Pinckney, Chairman Mrs. Bushrod B. Howard Mrs. John P. Wilson Mr. E. Milby Burton Mrs. John D. Wing Mrs. Benjamin R. Kittredge, Jr. Mrs. John P. Frost Mrs. Thomas R. Waring, Jr. Mrs. Henry P. Staats Mrs. Percy Gamble Kammerer Mrs. Augustine T. Smythe Garden and Grounds Committee Mrs. Coming Ball Gibbs, Chairman Mrs. Louis deB. McCrady Mr. Loutrel W. Briggs Mrs. Bryan Collier Mr. C. Norwood Hastie, Jr. Mrs. Joseph I. Waring Mrs. Ashby Farrow Mrs. Frank H. Bailey Mrs. Ellison A. Williams Mrs. William H. Cogswell, III Mr. Benjamin Kittredge, Jr. ■»■ 4 *•
  • Image 01
    The Tours, or visits to private homes, are held each year during the last two weeks in March and the first two weeks in April. They are planned to coincide with the season of the year when the gardens are in bloom, and when the city itself is at its loveliest, colorful with wisteria, azaleas and roses. The generous owners of the homes shown on these Tours are opening them to the public because of their interest in the work of Historic Charleston Foundation in its effort to preserve Charleston's historic heritage of buildings. Without their very real contribution, these Tours would not be possible. It is only at this time of year that the private homes of the city are open to the public. During the 1956 season, fifteen private homes will be open in a series of four daytime tours, and one evening tour. There are five houses included on each tour; the hours are 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Monday through Friday; and on Sunday afternoons from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. The group of homes to be shown changes each week. There are no Foundation tours on Saturdays as other groups in the city open houses at that time. Each Friday evening there is a special evening tour from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m., when one home is open. Visitors are conducted through the houses by hostesses. Homes may be visited in any order desired, but visitors will have to provide their own transportation where needed. Full information and tour tickets may be secured from the Tours Headquarters, at the Nathaniel Russell House, 51 Meeting Street. Telephone 3-1168. Visitors are asked not to take interior photographs, and to refrain from smoking in the houses. TOURS COMMITTEE: Mr. Berkley Grimball, Chairman Mr. E. Milby Burton Mrs. Lionel K. Legge Mr. C. Lester Cannon Mr. Benjamin B. Kittredge, Jr. Mr. C. Norwood Hastie Mrs. Ashby Farrow Mrs. John P. Frost Mr. C. Bissell Jenkins, Jr. Mr. Samuel G. Stoney Mr. Ben Scott Whaley, ex officio Mrs. S. Henry Edmunds, Tours Director * 5 *
  • Image 01
    In 1940, farsighted members of the Board of Directors of the Carolina Art Association determined to take action for the preservation of the many fine architectural and historic buildings which were Charleston's priceless heritage. The Civic Services Committee was formed and, with a grant from the Carnegie Corporation, a study was begun to determine the number of buildings within the city of architectural or historic value, and to classify them as to their importance. This tremendous undertaking was completed in 1944 with the publication of "This is Charleston," a classified directory of 1168 buildings worthy of recognition. In the march of time subsequent to the completion of this study, Charleston lost many of these valuable edifices through disfigurement or destruction, attributable to ignorance in the guise of progress, and it was deemed advisable to make some further move to implement the cause of preservation. Again the Carolina Art Association, following a suggestion made by Mr. Kenneth Chorley, President of Colonial Williamsburg, recommended that a corporation be formed for the dual purpose of educating the public as to the worth of these many fine old buildings, and to assist in their preservation whenever their destruction seemed imminent. From this group, and through private subscription, Historic Charleston Foundation was incorporated in 1947. This Foundation is a non-profit, educational institution seeking to aid and preserve Charleston's heritage, not only for those who live here, but for all who come to enjoy its beauty. The Board of Trustees of Historic Charleston Foundation, taking cognizance of the increasing difficulty of maintaining private institutions through public subscription, wisely sought some means whereby the Foundation might earn its own support. With this thought in mind, the annual Tours of Historic Houses was determined upon. And what could be more fitting than that those homes which have been better cared for through their ownership, should aid the institution dedicated to the preservation of those equally worthy but less fortunate. The ultimate aim of Historic Charleston Foundation is to preserve and use the architectural and historic treasures of the Charleston area. •* 6 *
  • Image 01
    In 1952 this foundation undertook its first restoration. We collaborated with Rebecca Motte Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, the owners of our colonial Exchange that looks down Broad Street from East Bay. Together we replaced the pediment of this historic building. Smashed in the disastrous earthquake of 1886, it had remained ever since a cobbled-up atrocity. This brings a very prominent building into more authentic shape, and restores to Charleston another touch of the Palladian elegance that made her, in the middle of the eighteenth century, the finest colonial capital in British America. In 1953 the Foundation contributed funds to pay off the final indebtedness on the Heyward-Washington house, now owned and operated by the Charleston Museum. In 1955 it purchased the Nathaniel Russell House, the first project of its own, and an ambitious one. Through the generosity of many people sufficient funds have been raised to renovate and repair it, and its renovation is now complete. The House is now opened for public view. It will represent through the years a graphic example of the aims of our organization and stand as a monument to Charleston's culture both of the past and of the present. Ben Scott Whaley President, Historic Charleston Foundation OFFICERS President Ben Scott Whaley Vice-President Berkley Grimball Secretary Mrs. S. Henry Edmunds Treasurer C. Lester Cannon TRUSTEES Miss Alice R. Huger Smith—Honorary Mr. Loutrel W. Briggs Mrs. Percy Gamble Kammerer Mr. C. Lester Cannon Mrs. John P. Frost Mrs. Victor Morawetz Mrs. Lionel K. Legge Mr. E. Gaillard Dotterer Mrs. Coming Ball Gibbs Miss Josephine Pinckney Mr. William Mason Smith Mr. Henry P. Staats Mr. Ben Scott Whaley Mr. C. Bissell Jenkikns, Jr. Mr. E. Milby Burton Mr. Benjamin R. Kittredge, Jr. Mr. Albert Simons Mr. Samuel G. Stoney Mr. Robert N. S. Whitelaw Mr. Berkley Grimball Mrs. Ashby Farrow Mrs. S. Henry Edmunds 7
  • Image 01
    The Adam Tradition The unique achievement of Robert Adam was the domestication of the architecture of antiquity for contemporary use. Nature and circumstance conspired to endow him with the advantages an architect would most desire—creative imagination, energy of mind and body, financial independence, wide travel, influential friends, affluent clients, executive ability and comprehension of the spirit of his times. In 1754 at the age of twenty-six Robert left Scotland, making a leisurely progress through France and Italy, with a side trip to the eastern shore of the Adriatic to survey the remains of Diocletian's Palace at Spalato, which added prestige in an archaeologically minded age. By 1758 he was established in London. The tastes of the day were preoccupied with antiquity and Robert Adam from his travels was familiar with the admired examples, but he realized that the temples, tombs and baths of Imperial Rome would not serve without modification as prototypes for the great houses of his day. To preserve the glamour of the antique, but to give it a "new look" was his contribution. Within the bounds of classic decorum British tastes craved invention, variety, cheerfulness and elegance. Adam met this demand with well lighted rooms arranged in suites varying in shape and proportions, circular, oval, polygonal, rectangular or with segmental ends. Classic proportions were attenuated to give a sense of domestic scale and walls and ceilings were covered with ornament in low relief inclosing medallions of decorative painting, with gilding and a variety of light, clear colors to compensate with high pitched visual excitement for the depressing atmosphere outdoors. Rich and colorful materials were employed, columns of alabaster or verde antique, mantels of white marble, pilasters with ormolu arabesques overlaid on ivory, mahogany doors, damask covered walls, and carpets patterned to repeat the designs of the ceilings. Adam had at his command scores of artists, many imported from Italy to carry out his concepts, and his standards of execution were always high. His field did not stop at the building and its decoration, but included furniture, candelabra, silverware, stoves and carpets, etc. Never had an architect established such a dictatorship. As all dictatorships, its ready acceptance germinated the seeds of weakness. Its concentration on the polite, sophisticated and correct excluded the personal and indigenous. One feels that the decorative painters were conscious always of a zealous architect breathing down the backs of their necks and that these bored and exasperated artists 8 *
  • Image 01
    seldom produced their best. Much of the relief ornament was multiplied from moulds without variations. In spite of the unquestionable eclat of the whole, the endless recurrence of the same motifs—urns, accanthus leaves, griffins and Greek maidens palls and like the monotony of a sonorous ritual leaves but a passing impact on our consciousness. However, men less aggressive, but with more taste as James Wyatt took hold of these ideas and with homeopathic insight made ornament more effective by using less of it. By another generation what began as the fashion of the elite became the mode of the general. Less affluent and with British aversion to overstatement the middle classes simplified the Adam style retaining its grace and refinement. Robert Adam died in 1792 and in 34 years he had created many important buildings in England and Scotland. Always there had been a time lag between the flowering of ideas in England and their desemination in America. This delay had been prolonged by the Revolution and its attendant economic blight. Thus the Adamesque vernacular reached our shores some years after the peace. As it spread along the Atlantic seaboard it underwent adaptation. For Portland stone, brick and wood were substituted inducing spindlier- proportions and a more amiable homespun quality without old world hauteur. Decorative painters were not to be had, but once models were acquired of garlands, swags and maidens, these cliches were repeated for the enrichment of hundreds of mantelpieces and doorways. This borrowed vocabulary harmonized well enough with the native feature of wide fireplaces and spacious rooms well lit by tall windows and crisply executed craftsmanship. Such interiors were enhanced by the grace of Sheraton furniture and the august portraits of the defenders and guardians of the recently independent and federated states. And so this early nineteenth century architecture is associated in our minds with the beginnings of a new era for our nation and its destinies and Jove's eagle with his stars seems not the emblem of a paganism long dead, but of the nascent republic. Albert Simons, F.A.I.A. 9
  • Image 01
    Charleston began in April of 1670, the pleasantest time of her year, when the first colony, sent to settle what would become South Carolina, was led to her most excellent harbor and fine site by a friendly Indian Chief, the Cassique of the Kiawahs. The colonists were already a grand mixture of English, Irish, West Indians and Bermudans, but there were several men of experience among them. As soon as possible these had the tip of the wide peninsula that was called Oyster Point, reserved for a future town, but, being properly aware that the Spaniards of Florida, their nearest colonial neighbors, considered them dangerous trespassers, they started the first settlement on a very defensible finger of land to the west of the Ashley and several miles further from the bar than Oyster Point. Wars in Europe and politics in England hindered the growth of the colony for ten years, but the first Charlestonians were able to scare away an expedition from St. Augustine in the first summer, and by 1672 felt secure enough to order that the site on Oyster Point be enlarged and marked out for a town. This was done from a "Grand Modell" which provided most of the principal streets between the Battery and the line of Beaufain Street, then continued as a boundary over to the Cooper. You can mark where it crossed the principal "path" up the peninsula by the "bend" in King Street. The "Grand Modell" provided two "great" streets, now called Broad and Meeting, to quarter roughly the largest area of solid ground within the creek-riddled site. These "great" streets intersected in a market place, lost long since under public buildings. Broad Street, then called Cooper, came to the river of the same name at about the center of the long bluff that ran along East Bay, from the head of East Battery to the markets. This was used as wharfage until better could be bulit. After 1679, when the town was officially brought across the Ashley, the new Charles Town began growing inland from the bluff along streets then considered very wide and regular. Time and tempests, fashions and fires, bombardments and earthquakes have, in the centuries since, combined to destroy every known building from the Charles Town of the seventeenth century. Old prints, and such ancient plantation houses as that at Medway, give us some notion of what they were, but the lay of the city from the "Grand Modell" now remains its most authentic souvenir of that time. If the town's first ten years were hampered by the troubles abroad, the next twenty were complicated by rows at home. Once the wars were over, substantial West Indians came here bringing the form of plantations from the islands where they were being perfected. A tolerant constitution induced groups of Protestant minorities, suffering in the Counter Reformation, to colonize here. A considerable number of French Huguenots and English Puritans began to arrive in 1680. Quakers from England, Scotch Covenanters, Puritans from Long Island, and Baptists, driven from Maine by the theocrats of Massachusetts, helped to make up a fine mixture that lost no heat from certain adventurous souls, who certainly had been privateers, and were freely accused of having been pirates. These made the town a smelting pot that boiled of its own frictional heat until the coming of the new century. * 10 «•
  • Image 01
    At the same time the community found things to grow on. Bold traders carried a barter business with the Indians beyond the Mississippi. Bice was developed as a plantation staple. South Carolina began to feed the sugar islands, whence so many settlers came to her; to send them oak staves for their puncheons, and pine for their buildings. All three businesses lasted for many years; rice, for over two centuries. But loneliness, danger and the virtues of the harbor kept the isolated colony closely integrated with Charles Town, until the town was too strong to brook the rise of nearby rivals. With Virginia twice as far away as St. Augustine, and the vicious capes about Hatteras adding to the longer distance, the town was forced to be self-sufficient and to think like a city when it was still the size of a village. The opening of the eighteenth century brought Queen Anne's War to add to this characteristic. The thick built part of the town was fortified with walls and bastions run in from the ends of the bluff and along the line of Meeting Street. These further compressed building as they made the town a true "city of refuge." Trouble followed trouble to keep it so. During the war, South Carolinians drove off a combined Spanish and French fleet and ravaged Florida up to the very walls of the stout little "castle" at St. Augustine. They then led Indian auxiliaries to drive the Tuscaroras out of North Carolina, and threatened the rival French traders at Pensacola and Mobile. Later they had to turn and fight for existence against a general rising of Indians led by the Yemasees. Then, when they had saved the colony, they had to send out naval expeditions to clear their coast and the North Carolina inlets of a heavy infestation of pirates. To cap everything, the colony in 1719 revolted from the inefficient rule of its Proprietors and was made a Royal Province. As such it throve largely until the Revolution. In those fifty-odd years Charles Town learned to live rather splendidly for a little capital and town-of-trade of a smallish colony. Hundreds of thousands of deer skins, not so valuable as peltries, but bulking into money, were brought in by boat and packtrain from all over our Southeast. Bice led planters up and down the Low Country of South Carolina and then across the Savannah into land this colony claimed between Savannah and Florida. King George's War came like Balaam to curse, by breaking up temporarily our rice market in Southern Europe, and, like the prophet, remained to bless, by causing the introduction of indigo, first as a substitute for rice then as an additional staple that made many a fortune in the Low Country, before it was lost in the Revolution. Money brought education abroad and culture at home. A gracious way of living in a semi-tropical climate began to call for architectural plans and details of our own. Most notable of these plans is that of the "single" house, so well illustrated by that of Thomas Legare and its two neighbors to the north, and so commonly and generally distributed. The town at this time completed or built many fine public buildings. At the beginning of the century one of the most peace-giving measures for the colony had been the establishment of the Church of England. This put religion into government and took it out of politics very effectively. It also created a number of fine and interesting church buildings in the parishes and the town. The second church of St. Philip's congregation, begun shortly, was conceded for many years to be the finest ecclesiastical structure in England's American colonies. After King George's War, St. Michael's was built where the town had its first place of worship in a corner of the market place. About the same time two other equally fine "Palladian" buildings were given the * 11 *•
  • Image 01
    corners across Meeting Street. The Guard House, standing where the Post Office is now, was first butchered, then completely destroyed. The State House, burned out in 1788, was mangled somewhat in being made into a Court for the county, and has suffered severely since. Stopping the Bay end of Broad St., the town built a fine Exchange. Taking these all together, and with such fine houses as that of William Gibbes to fill in, Charleston must have been an impressively fine little city. The Revolution stopped almost all architecture and a great deal else until about 1790. Then the cotton gin and power mills for cleaning rice broke the bottle necks in a new and an old industry. By 1800 these had brought prosperity back to a town which had dignified its position by changing its name to Charleston. Its new Republicans found the style of Bobert Adam an untried and charming way of decorating, and planning their homes. More often this delicate and refind fashion was applied to the "single" house, as you will see it in the Simmons-Edwards House, but, as Charleston was then spreading out into a number of suburbs, you will find an extraordinary lot of Adam houses scattered all over the city. Hunting them in our by-ways adds to the sport of a visit to, or a life in, Charleston. The War of 1812 set a sharp limit to this period and kept another from developing before 1820. Then Charleston discovered "Regency." Just as they had done with Adam's decoration, they now used the similar but more robust succeeding style, most often to modify their "single" houses. While Charleston began politically to measure the worth of the Federal Union in the 'thirties and 'forties, and to despair of remaining in it during the 'fifties, the architectural "revivals" came to her. Greek, Gothic and Classic she treated alike, largely as she had handled the Adam and Regency styles before them. Here and there you find developed "Greek" or "Classic" houses, but the styles, when not modified to our plans, were largely left to public buildings. Gothic of the eighteenth-century, "Strawberry Hill" sort, had been used here already, in a playful but very limited way, on servants' houses and stablings. Be it said to the city's great credit that she never, in the days of its revival, debased it to use on a dwelling house. The Greek orders were used with similar discretion. You will see heroic Doric employed by a number of churches, but no Charleston house is huddled behind a minature of a temple portico. Iionic and Corinthian, Greek and Roman, yes—but desecration of the great style, never! The war that Charleston began came nearer destroying her economically than physically. Despite the bombardments of three years, and all the other dilapidations of the poverty and chaos that followed, the adventure was a bit like the eruption that overwhelmed Pompeii and at the same time partly preserved for us that once wicked, charming, little city. Charleston's architectural life was well nigh in a state of suspended animation during the ghastly "late" Victorianisms and the slow recovery of good taste after them. You can see some exceedingly dreadful examples of what a little money did to decent Charleston houses in the 'seventies and 'eighties, but only enough of them to point the moral. Poverty, virtuous as when St. Francis embraced her, kept the city relatively pure. So when a new era opened after World War I, there was much to love, to admire, and to save. With a mixture of faith and works, part of Charleston is trying to keep the best of her for the nation and posterity. SAMUEL GAILLARD STONEY -» 12 *
  • Image 01
    HOUSE ON THE TOURS Descriptive Histories By SAMUEL GAILLARD STONEY * 13 *
  • Image 01
    No. 1—THOMAS ROSE'S HOUSE 59 Church Street c. 1735 Thomas Rose's Georgian house, the oldest home on these tours, and one of the oldest m Charleston, has survived time, change, fires, wars and an earthquake that have taken practically all of the city's eariler buildings. Rose apparently built in 1735. His unsymetrical floor plan is almost unaltered. His large, dignified, robust cornices, and other simple early Georgian decorations are nearly as he left them. A delicate little Adam mantel was evidently placed in the drawing room as a "modernization" at the beginning of the nineteenth century, but this adds a curious touch that is rather charming. And this is the most noticeable change. •£ 14 -ft-
  • Image 01
    The house, like many others in Charleston, has a ghost, but this one is friendly and whistles as he ascends the stairs. He is supposed to belong to a Dr. Joseph Ladd Brown—a Rhode Islander by birth, a M. D. by vocation, but a poet and something of a knight-errant by avocation. While living here in 1786, he defended the performance of a lovely actress then playing in Charleston. The dispute turned into a newspaper controversy; a duel followed, and poor young Brown, who was only twenty-two, was fatally wounded and brought back to this house to die. Though most of the things in it might fit well in museums, it is still happily a home. So you will find furnishings from a number of countries, ages, and styles combined to give it loveliness. The drawing room is a most charming example. It is a room whose proportions and detail are extremely pleasing. Even a certain casualness in the handwork of its long-dead builders adds to the effect. A magnificent Tabriz animal carpet, dating from the late fifteenth or early sixteenth century, now gives the room a golden glow. This is emphasized by window hangings carefully suited to the period of the house. These, and its superb furnishings and pictures, make this one of the most distinguished rooms in Charleston. Residence of Mr. and Mrs. Henry P. Staats ■HH Samuel Chamberlain .■* 15 -ft-
  • Image 01
    Carl Julien No. 2—GEORGE EVELEIGH'S HOUSE 39 Church Street c. 1738 Residence of Miss Mary O. Marshall Nestled in its "bend" in Church Street, behind a minute, park-like spot, this house so closely resembles that of Thomas Rose, just around the corner, that it could have been begun before its neighbor was finshed. George Eveleigh, to whom it is credited, was then a wealthy Charlestonian whose agents bartered British goods to the Indians of the Southeast for the thousands of deer skins that were then shipped away to Europe. It has been little changed by the long years of its life. The unsymetrical floor plan is almost unaltered. The rooms are splendidly panneled with wide cypress boards brought from Low Country swamps and fashioned by the tasteful handicraft of skilled carpenters. Their robust cornices, dignified panels and other simple early Gerogian decorations are nearly as they left them. •£ 16 -ft-
  • Image 01
    For many years this house has been the home of Miss Mary O. Marshall. Much of her furniture was made in Charleston, and most of it has served many generations of her kindered. Their good taste makes the collection a history of local amenities. As in most old Charleston houses, the drawing room is on the second floor. Here it gains spaciousness by taking up the entire front of a comparatively small house. Tall panels give grace to its proportions. The fireplace has an Adam mantel, saved from the town house of Nathaniel Heyward, once a celebrated and successful rice planter. Interest is centered here by arched doorways, one leading to a passage, the other framing a shell closet made for the display of fine china, now filled with Lowestoft, Famille Rose and Chelsea porcelain of the Marshall family's collecting. Carl Julien •* 17 «.
  • Image 01
    Carl Julien No. 3—WILLIAM ELLIOTT'S HOUSE 75 King Street c. 1739 William Elliott, whose distinguished family began here as a brotherhood of builders, appears to have built this house for himself sometime before 1739, since it then appears on the Roberts and Toms map entitled "The Iconography of Charles- Town at High Water." Simple, stalwart designing and decoration, robust walls, and such details as the exterior chimneys to the west, all point to an early date of building. There were never any great fires to destroy this very interesting neighborhood that was beginning to grow up about the same time that the thoroughfare through it ceased to be called "the little street that runneth from Ashley River to the Broad path to the country," and became King Street in honor of George I, who had taken the province over from the feckless rule of the Proprietors. Some time after 1753, when the invention of decorating tiles by transfer rather than painting was causing riots in Liverpool, the Elliotts smartened the large dining room fireplace with the new sort of tile made by Sadler and Green, who had invented the process. And great was the pleasure of Mr. and Mrs. Paul, when in the process of their restoration they discovered many of these tiles, still decorating the original fire place. . •* 18 «•
  • Image 01
    Elliott particularly mentions the house in the will he made in 1765. Then it was occupied by "Mrs. Mary Stokes, school mistress." It went from Elliott's wife to his daughters, Mrs. Lewis Morris and Mrs. Daniel Huger. This is probably the oldest building in a very picturesque neighborhood. Several close to it are as large, but none so primitive. The block it stands in has been completely changed in the last twenty years. As small brick and wooden houses have come more and more into demand, the row of pleasant little buildings above this have been taken over from slumdom and worse. This house of William Elliott's is nearly the last to be rehabilitated in this very attractive section of an old suburb of the city. It owes its salvation to its present owners, Mr. and Mrs. Paul. Residence of Mr. and Mrs. Charles L. Paul, III 19
  • Image 01
    Van Anda N. 4—COLONEL OTHNIEL BEALE'S HOUSE 101 East Bay Street c. 1740 The early history of this house is in keeping with its present charm. This is how it came to be built. When the fire of 1740 destroyed the neighboring part of town, Colonel Othniel Beale, "a gentleman of great ingeniousity and judgment" was busy putting Charleston's fortifications "in condition to beat off any Enemy." Very shortly after he bought these lots on the Bay he built this house, and the one next south to it, under one roof. They were obviously designed for merchants on the then busy Bay' who would work below and live above stairs. Beale, who had not been born in New England for nothing, to encourage a better sort of tenant, made the rooms upstairs fine with woodwork that stood up to any of its time in the city for design and execution. -£ 20 «•
  • Image 01
    Since this is one of the oldest of Charleston's houses, standing in one of the town's oldest neighborhoods, on land granted by the Lords Proprietors of Carolina, it is very fitting that the Legges should have placed large copies of the great seal of the founders of the colony to guard the entrance door to their home. This, and the charm of the situation, induced the Legges to pioneer in rehabilitating the house when the neighborhood all about it had degenerated into the depths of slumdom. Greatly daring, they reorganized their house in 1931 and went to live in it. Others followed their example until, house by house, one of Charleston's most delightful and colorful neighborhoods was saved. The Legges' restoration set a fine example. Two decayed stores gave room for garages; a brick-heaped yard became a garden; paint by the dozen coats was removed from the capital woodwork. Their family furniture, with old mahogany pieces that were made in Charleston or on the plantations of the Low Country grace the restored rooms in the happiest manner. Residence of Mr. and Mrs. Lionel K. Legge Samuel Chamberlain •* 21 «•
  • Image 01
    Carl Julien No. 5—WILLIAM HENDRICK'S BUILDING 83 Church Street c. 1749 This unexpectedly unusual little house hase been selected especially as an example of what has been done in remodelings in Charleston. Before being turned into a residence by its present owners, its front rooms were part of an old kitchen building shared by two establishments on the street. These were all started together as an investment by a Christ Church planter named William Hendricks. Dying in 1749, he instructs his executors in his will to complete the two brick "tenements" he is building on Church Street and, "also the Back Buildings" thereto. So we can count their age very accurately. In the next couple of centuries the rooms on either side of the narrow, arched passage that frames a view of the garden, were used as shops by a variety of tradesmen and artisans. It is appropriate that you can now buy in them fine gifts, and they still serve their original purpose. They do this all the more charmingly because in all modern alterations great care has been taken to preserve the quaint appearance of the group from the street. •* 22 -ft-
  • Image 01
    Mrs. Brown has furnished the winter home she improved from the two eighteenth century kitchens with an interesting collection of heirlooms. As she was born a Perry from Rhode Island, many of her things come from notable, sea-faring New England ancestors. So, among old Chinese porcelains and Korean chests, you may find a shield- back Hepplewhite chair used by the Constitutional Convention at Philadelphia in 1781; and over the cavernous arch of the erstwhile kitchen fireplace, now set out with a proper compliment of iron cranes, brass kettles and copper stew pans, you will see, well-carved and gilded, a spreading Federal Eagle that came from Nantucket and, doubtless, before that ornamented the stern of some tall old ship. Not the least charming part of what has happened to William Hendricks' "investment" is the delightful little paved garden seen through the arch from Church Street. Residence of Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds D. Brown Car •» 23 -ft-
  • Image 01
    No. 6 BRANF0RD-HORRY HOUSE 59 Meeting Street c. 1751 Shortly after they were married in 1751, William Branford, a well-to-do planter, and his wife, who had been Elizabeth Savage, built this fine double Georgian house on a lot she had inherited. They built so strongly that their house has stood for over two hundred years, and so tastefully that, in an architectural survey made in Charleston in 1944, it was classified as a building of national importance . The portico, which now extends across the sidewalk of Meeting Street, was not added until the 1830's, but this home has been fortunate in that its alterations have only served to enhance its beauty. Elias Horry, a great-grandson of the builders, to whom the house came in 1820, was for some time president of the South Carolina Rail Road when that very progressive little company could boast the longest line anywhere in the world. It was he who added the portico. The house in 1910 was bought by Mrs. William Aiken Martin. Her daughter, Mrs. William Huger Dunkin, at once devoted herself to its sympathetic rehabilitation. This has been carried on into the third generation of the family by its present owner, Mrs. Percy Gamble Kammerer. A partition cutting across the upstairs drawing room has been removed and the excellent woodwork of William Branford's building freed of paint and allowed, for the first time since it was installed, to show its natural beauty. The builder used in his carving the type of wood most easily worked; cypress for panels, -£ 24 -ft-
  • Image 01
    tulip and mahogany for carvings. After being rubbed down these have formed a pattern of great interest. The house in beautifully furnished with many local pieces, and some fine English furniture. The owner's particular interest being in china, a very varied and fine collection is found displayed throughout the house. Residence of Mrs. Percy Gamble Kammerer -» 25 -ft-
  • Image 01
    No. 7—THOMAS LEGARE'S HOUSE 90 Church c. 1760 Standing together on Church Street is a group of three very fine old Charleston "single" houses that beautifully illustrate both the conservatism and the charm of the city's taste in building. The most northerly of these seems to date from the 1750's. The middle house is known to have been built about 1809. The other, judging by its most excellent woodwork, belongs to Pre-Revolutionary time and has been dated from the 1760's. Though spanning a half century of building in Charleston, at first glance these three would seem contemporaries. Since the land where this last house stands was owned by Thomas Legare before 1752, it can easily be attributed to that son of one of the outstanding Huguenot: emigrants to this colony. It is very fiting that it should have been charmingly and carefully restored by two Charlestonians of Huguenot name and lineage, William Lucas Simons and his late wife, Adele Petigru (Conner) Simons. Between the ownerships of old Thomas Legare and that of Mr. Simons, this house stands for a great deal that has been most gracious and praiseworthy in Charleston's history. Only two notable changes have been made between these far-removed owners. A look at the middle window at the front of the ground floor indicates an overwide flat arch still marking where Legare had the entrance to an office. And the detail of the handsome Regency piazza shows you that they were added by George MacAuley, who •* 26 «•
  • Image 01
    in 1816 bought and pulled down the next door house to make a yard for his. The brick wall he made that bounds it in has the very characteristic arched construction of the best Charleston building. The house has much fine old furniture and some interesting portraits. Hanging in the drawing room are two that are peculiarly worth noticing. Above the hanger (the small curved sword) he wore with his fatigue uniforms, is a painting of Keating Simons, rice planter on Cooper River and once Brigade-Major to General Francis Marion, the famous South Carolina partisan. Near it is Sully's portrait of Adele Petigru Allston, sister to that most notable of South Carolina Unionists, James Louis Petigru, and wife of R. F. W. Allston, a great rice planter, and a liberal governor of ante-bellum times. Residence of Mr. W. Lucas Simons WmiM\ tm^?ms$ik-4'-^M<tMMM el Chamberlain •* 27 -ft-
  • Image 01
    No. 8—WILLIAM GIBBES' HOUSE 64 South Battery c. 1772 Residence of Mr. and Mrs, Ashby Farrow This splendid mansion, built at the height of Charleston's Georgian period, was extensively redecorated again in the midst of her craze for the Adam style. The result is both extraordinarily distinguished and pleasing. The present owner's very fine furniture combines to make it one of the handsomest houses in the city. The house was started soon after 1772 by William Gibbes. The Ashley River then came up to the opposite side of the street and Gibbes had also a very long wharf running out to its channel, where he conducted his business. The wharf had a most agreeable function. In hot weather a place of "genteel entertainment" used to be fitted up at its far end where Charlestonians might partake of both the cooling air and some light refreshments. After its owners died, the house became the home of Mrs. Sarah Moore Smith and long continued in her family. About 1800 the Smiths added the monumental marble stairways at the front, put a high cove to the parlor ceiling, and enriched much of the Georgian woodwork with Adam ornaments. 28
  • Image 01
    The Reverend John Grimke Drayton, who later owned the house, took his mother's surname to inherit Magnolia Plantation on the Ashley, and, when a "clergyman's throat" had driven him from the active ministry of the Episcopal Church, made there the world-famous garden. In the nineteen-twenties, Mrs. Washington A. Roebling, widow of the builder of the Brooklyn Bridge, bought the house from the Sloan family, whose home it had long been. Mrs. Roebling made extensive restoration and alterations. For her collection of oriental art and ceramics the southeast room on the principal floor was remodeled in the mode of Chinese Chippendale. The rooms at the rear were lengthened and the brick stairway added to connect the house with the fine formal garden. It is now the home of Mrs. Roebling's grandson, Mr. Ashby Farrow, and Mrs. Farrow. Carl Julien •* 29 «■
  • Image 01
    No. 9 COLONEL JOHN STUART'S HOUSE 106 Tradd Street c. 1772 In the lull between the triumphant war with France and our own Revolution, the western suburbs of Charles Town included a little Vauxhall called the Orange Garden. There in the summers you heard "consorts" of music and saw theatrical skits in the open air among the trees. A little while after the garden was turned into building lots, Colonel John Stuart obtained the corner lot at Tradd Street and built about 1772 one of the finest houses in the city. Probably a Jacobite who had been out in "the '45" rising, Stuart had come to South Carolina about 1748-and like a good many others of his business-like countrymen, gone into the Indian Trade. He had so succeeded that he was made Commissioner of Indian Affairs for all the southern colonies, with a seat in each of their councils, and could readily afford to pay eighteen thousand pounds, Carolina money, to give himself a beautiful and most dignified residence. Three years afterwards, in 1775, accused of inciting the frontier Indians against the Carolina rebels, Stuart fled to Florida where he remained the last three years of his life. For a while after the Revolution the house was owned by Alexander Gillon, a high-living, free-spending, Dutch adventurer who had been Commodore of South Carolina's own navy. 4 30 .-ft-
  • Image 01
    Always highly esteemed, it passed on to other well-off or prominent citizens. Just after the Confederate War it was the home of Peter C. Gaillard, who had lost an arm and won a colonelcy in the Southern army. He had come back to be elected mayor of Charleston in 1865, and serve until deposed by the occupying army. About a score of years ago the wood-work from the two principal rooms was sold to the Minneapolis Museum of Fine Arts. Shortly after this the celebrated architect, John Mead Howells, made this his winter home and restored most exactly the beautiful carving. Mr. Howells added the garden wall and redesigned the Victorian western wing to make it more in keeping with the body of the house. It has since been the home of the late Senator Burnet Rhett Maybank, and is now the residence of Mr. and Mrs. John D. Wing. Never has it been more beautiful than now with their appropriate heirlooms from New York, Baltimore and Virginia. The family portraits are particularly interesting. This house, with its very dignified facing of shiplap weather-boarding, still carries one of the old insurance plaques under a third story window. Some of the freest carved decoration in the city in its high over-mantels represents the peak of Georgian design in this part of the world. Residence of Mr. and Mrs. John D. Wing 31 -ft-
  • Image 01
    Carl Julien No. 10—THE INGLIS' ARCH HOUSE 91 East Bay Street c. 1778 The residence of Mrs. Calvin McGowan Her "Grand Model" of 1672 gave Charleston a lot of over-sized squares that citizens soon cut up with undersized thoroughfares. Before 1730 one of the narrowest was a passage run through lands of the Elliott family to connect very busy East Bay, where they had their wharf, or "bridge," with quite busy Bedon's Alley, where they had other buildings. The passage got a permanent name before the Revolution when George Inglis lived and had his business in the house that stands where this one is today. The arched entrance took its name from Inglis and gave it to the passage. Until the devastating fire of 1778 burned this way, the arch was part of the "beautiful Bay Street of Charleston! Every house for a mile three stories high!" and all built with an "order and regularity" that made it appear vastly better than the waterfront of contemporary New York. Alteration of any number of sorts, at any number of times, makes the dating of the present building almost impossible, but it seems to have come in part from a rebuilding after 1778. 32 -ft-
  • Image 01
    In 1794 it was purchased by Frederick Kohne, who made a large fortune in the business he conducted here. Dying, in 1829, in gratitude to the city, he left the property to the Orphan House of Charleston. It came back into private hands in 1836 and had a respectable career until the Confederate War. Meantime the harbor, whose edge had been at first just across the street, had retreated, and business had gone with it to other parts of the waterfront. With its neighborhood this house went downhill. When in a most desperate state of dilapidation, it was part of the locale on which DuBose and Dorothy Heyward created "Porgy and Bess." After 1938 it was one of six houses bought and largely rebuilt by the McGowans in a private slum clearance that redeemed a large part of Rainbow Row. Very interesting Eighteenth century French furniture and modern painting, a variety of handsome and charming furnishings of all sorts have added immeasurably to a fine house, cleverly contrived, on a delightful and historic site. -'- "" —" - { v -» 33 -ft-
  • Image 01
    Carl Julien No. 11—MRS. WILLIAM HEYWARD'S HOUSE 31 Legare Street c. 1789 This pleasant double house, with its rather unusual entrance across a stone flagged lower piazza, stands in the center of a never-divided lot from the "Grand Modell" of 1672. About 1789 it was built by the widow of William Heyward, whose brother, Thomas, had signed the Declaration of Independence. Like her in-laws, Hannah Shubrick Heyward was a successful rice planter. Her house shows this in "improvements" that were obviously made soon after its building. Among these is the "bow" to the south with its delicate palladian window in the large upstairs parlor. It remained her home until 1829. In this time it unhappily acquired a fairly well-authenticated ghost. Young James Heyward, son of the builder of this house, was riding out hunting on a plantation in the Euhaws. His hounds bayed a hog and he struck at them with the butt of his gun. It went off and shot him dead from the saddle. He appeared according to the legend, that very hour to his sister in the room that is now the library. And he has been seen there since, always in the same attitude, his head in his hand, seated pensive at the table. . •£ 34 ■ -ft-
  • Image 01
    On its builder's death, the house went to her daughter, Mrs. William Drayton, who, while she lived in Charleston, allowed the use of it to the celebrated French schoolmistress, Mile. Julie Datty. As a peniless refugee from the revolution in San Domingo, she found work as an expert laundress, but both her manner and her hands proclaimed her a lady. The Heywards were among those who then helped her establish a school where young ladies learned good French and better manners. Between 1837 and 1870 this house was the home of the Roper family, who sold it to the late Augustine T. Smythe. In their eighty-five years of ownership, the Smythes have made many additions and some alterations to Mrs. Hey ward's building. Two of her handsomest rooms, however, remain much as she built them. The big parlor was lately restored to its original state. The library beneath it, where the ghost has been seen, seems to have assimilated the bookcases which now completely fill its walls. The house has the happy faculty of taking into its own pleasant atmosphere a variety of handsome furnishings. A palmetto, planted with much ceremony by the Ropers as an emblem of South Carolina on the day when the state seceded from the Union, now towers above the roof line of the southern bow. Residence of Mr. and Mrs. Augustine T. Smythe adddaaddad J !$Vg Samuel Chamberlain •£ 35 «•
  • Image 01
    Carl Julien No. 12—JAMES SHOOLBRED'S HOUSE 2 Ladson Street c. 1790 Residence of Mr. and Mrs. Owen Geer James Shoolbred is the first person found in association with this handsome post- Revolutionary house. A rich young planter, he was later made the first British Consul in Charleston. In 1782 he married Mary Middleton, only child of Thomas Middleton, who owned Crowfield Plantation with what was then one of the finest formal gardens in the country. By 1793 the Shoolbreds resided in this house and seem to have remained here until they bought another residence from William Skirving in 1800. The Shoolbreds put up certain buildings on this premises, but it is a serious question whether this "commodious, pleasant, and airy Dwelling-House," (as it was described in an advertisement of 1798) was among them. The house may well have been in building in 1790, for John Deas, Jr. This was another very rich young planter who had been married a couple of years. His father had owned this lot for some time and lived just across the court which is now a street. Father and son died within a few days of each other at the end of 1790, and the next record found of this property is a mortgage of it, in 1796, by the younger •* 36 -ft-
  • Image 01
    man's mother-in-law and her husband, Dr. James Clitherall. How the Clitheralls got it, we don't know; how they lost it is evident. The doctor was something of an adventurer in medicine, politics and planting. He had been contemptously called "the tooth-drawing Dr. Clitherall" by no lesser authority than Edward Rutledge. By 1798 he was in practical, or actual bankruptcy, and this house was on the market. It was bought in 1802 by the same William Skirving, who, two years before, sold a residence to the Shoolbreds. The older part of this building follows the modified Georgian style that had survived the Revloution. Notable of it are the excellent mahogany stair rails with their turned balusters; and the decoration of the old drawing room upstairs, now used as a bed room, where a fine four-poster gives us a good impression of an ample scale of living. The Skirvings lived here for about ten years. They were surely responsible for "improvements" of the house in the Adam style—the mantels in the principal rooms on the first floor, and the angular bay to the west of the present drawing room. This was evidently pushed out into the direction of the prevailing summer breezes to compensate for the lack of piazzas, due to the house being set directly on the court. In their time, this little cul-de-sac was called skirving's, or Ladson's court. In 1893 the court became a street. Sometime afterwards the present entrance porch, and the widow in the south pediment were added. Mr. and Mrs. Geer have added to the substantial charms of this "Dwelling-House" a collection of fine furniture, silver, and objects of art—many of them hierlooms, some, of their own collecting. ■» 37 <*
  • Image 01
    Henry P. Staats No. 13~JOSEPH WINTHROP'S HOUSE 129 Tradd Street c. 1797 It is now hard to imagine that when Joseph Winthrop built his house its site was part of an open "green," its lot line backing on a salty creek, and the marshes of the Ashley were hardly a stone's throw from its back windows. Charleston, though much smaller than she is today, was a booming Post-Revolutionary town whose trade induced many clever young New Englanders to try their luck in the offices and shops along her Bay. Winthrop, from Boston, was one of these who made good. Here he married an elder sister of the miniaturist, Charles Fraser, and soon built this house on land of hers to be a home for what came to be a large family. Counting out a dining room, and lower and upper reception rooms, or parlors, the tall old house had but three rooms left for sleeping quarters; but the names •* 38 -ft-
  • Image 01
    engraved with a diamond on one of the old windowpanes show that eleven children and their parents once lived here pleasantly together. The principal rooms in the front of the house stand much as when they were built. They are decorated with woodwork designed in a very simple but most charming transitional style, keeping something from the late Georgian work of pre-revolu- tionary days, borrowing lightness from the Adam decoration that would overrun the town in a few years. An interesting detail of the dining room is a mantel gotten from the destroyed home of Henry Laurens, President of the Continental Congress, and one of the most able leaders of South Carolina in the Revolution. Behind the house a well designed block of brick service buildings, once a combination of a coach-house, stables and kitchens, has been turned into pleasant apartments. It is shown in the photograph. The furnishings here are both cosmopolitan and biographical. After a lifetime of service in the Navy, the Pophams have brought home many notable things from China and Japan. The rest tell a family history with the heirlooms the Admiral has brought from New York and New Jersey and those that came to Mrs. Popham from Charleston and many outlying family plantations. Residence of Admiral and Mrs. William S. Popham Jork. •* 39 -ft-
  • Image 01
    Samuel Chamberlain No. 14—THE SIMMONS-EDWARDS HOUSE 14 Legaree Street c. 1800 Francis Simmons, who created an unsolved Charleston mystery by leaving his wife immediately after they were married and thereafter maintaining a casual though friendly, acquaintance with her, acquired the property in 1800, and would appear to have built this very handsome "single" house upon it shortly thertafter. Later he bought a lot and wooden house to the south. On his death he left this, during her widowhood, to a relative, prohibiting her from building between her house and the street, anything that could interfere with the air or prospect of his brick house adjoining. George Edwards, who bought both properties in 1816, two years, after Simmons' death, disposed of the wooden house. According to tradition, it was rolled down the street to become the present No. 1 Legare Street. He then made a garden of the south lot and embellished it with the fine Regency fence and gates, and his house with its formal entrance. With proper pride he marked his work by placing his initials in the centers of the two curving iron grills that flanked his front door. Tradition says that he ordered this iron work and the elaborate marble cappings of his additions direct from Italy. The story goes that he sent a live-oak acorn to serve as a model for the tall finals, but the Italian marble cutters would have none of this and substituted the conventionalized pineapples, the emblem of hospitality. Edwards constructed also a •£ 40 -ft-
  • Image 01
    very handsome fence between his yard and garden, the heads of whose pickets form an interesting pattern of intersecting curves. This place has long been a joy to the city and its owners, and it has been fortunate in them. For even when one, yielding to the fashion of the time, substituted mid-nineteenth century marble mantels in some of the rooms, he stored those he removed in the attic whence they were brought back into place a half century later. The Howards, in their ownership, have done a great deal with the gardens. Using Edwards' "improvements" as a basis for the design, they have turned the rear portion of this ample old yard into a very suitable and handsome formal garden. Residence of Mr. and Mrs. Bushrod B. Hoivard Samuel Chamberlain •fc 41 -ft-
  • Image 01
    Van Anda No. 15—ASHLEY HALL 172 Rutledge Avenue c. 1816 Ashley Hall is probably Charleston's outstanding example of a suburban Regency Villa. Patrick Duncan, who had made a pleasant fortune as a tallow-chandler and then became a factor, turned his place of business into a garden for this residence he built in 1816, as the neighborhood was becoming the fashionable suburb of Cannonsborough. The house was bought in 1836 by James Reid Pringle, leader of the Unionist Party in the Nullification controversy, and Collector of Customs of Charleston District from 1819 to 1840. Following this, his house was owned and occupied by George A. Trenholm a man of noted personal charm, one of Charleston's greatest merchants, head of John Fraser and Company, and of its Liverpool Branch, Fraser, Trenholm and Company, and for some time Secretary of the Treasury of the Confederate States. •# 42 -ft-
  • Image 01
    After the Trenholms ceased to own it, the house became the residence of Charles Otto Witte, a cotton merchant and banker, and the father of a family of beautiful daughters. Many of the fine exotics and trees about the garden come from his time. In 1909, under the name of Ashley Hall, the house was made a school for girls by Dr. Mary Vardrine McBee. It is now the most direct link from this part of the south with the major women's colleges of the country. The exterior of the house is substantially as it was built, though the basement of the heroic portico has been enclosed. The mantels and decorations of the principal rooms, and the fine stairway spiralling up are unchanged, but in the stairhall on the second floor and at other points it is interesting to note the heavy moulding and decorations of Victorian times, probably applied when the house was Trenholm property. Anda •£ 43 -ft-
  • Image 01
    A Guide for The Visitor to Charleston WHERETO STAY TO DINE TO SHOP WHAT— TO SEE 44
  • Image 01
    Mayor William McG. Morrison and Members of City Council cordially invite you to visit the Council Chamber Art Gallery in City Hall. It is also their wish that your visit here will be an enjoyable one and that you will return many times. JACK PATiA COMPANY 181 KING STREET TELEPHONE 3-7914 ANTIQUES IN THE CHARLESTON TRADITION Fine Furniture — Silver — China —■ Paintings CAROLINA INN SET IN FOUR ACRES OF AZALEAS AND CAMELLIAS FOOD RECOMMENDED BY DUNCAN HINES SUMMERVILLE, S. C. H. OLIVER RILEY, Owner-Manager TEL. 2641 Established 1888 263 KING STREET LEGERTON & CO., Inc. Charleston's Oldest and Largest Book Store Displaying a large collection of books on Charleston and South Carolina GREETING CARDS GIFTS -» 45 «•
  • Image 01
    Like Another World Outdoor Restaurant and Gift Shop Spirituals Sung Saturday and Sunday afternoons Route 52, Twenty-four Miles North of Charleston LORD ASHLEY COURT 2'/2 miles South of City on U. S. 17 TELEPHONE 6-1611 AIR CONDITIONED ROOM TELEPHONES A C. L. LEACH HOTEL In The Historic Heart of Charleston ST. JOHN HOTEL Edmund B. Simms GENERAL MANAGER Dining — Tap Room MEETING STREET AT QUEEN ATTRACTIVE RATES CONDON'S house of better values shopping center for coastal Carolina one of the south's great department stores both corners—king street at warren 46
  • Image 01
    Virginia Chisolm INVITES YOU TO SEE HER COLLECTION OF WALLPAPERS AND FABRICS FOR CHARLESTON'S HISTORIC HOUSES Church at Water CHARLESTON, S. C. DIAL 2-6772 MEMBER AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF DECORATORS T V IN ROOMS ROOM TELEPHONES Holiday Inn Hotel and Restaurant 2!/2 Miles South of City on Highway 17 A.A.A. Recommended PHONE 6-1651 Conditioned HOWARD JOHNSON'S RESTAURANT Ocean Highway, U. S. 17, 2 mi. South of Charleston, S. C. MR. and MRS. DAN H. GROVES Mgr.—Owners Phone 6-2311 3 BROAD ST. CHARLESTON, S. C. PRINTERS OF THIS BOOKLET 47
  • Image 01
    ANTIQUES Geo. C. Birlant & Co. 191 King Street Charleston, S. C. GUEST HOUSE 35 TRADD ST. — TEA ROOM 75 CHURCH ST. LUNCHEONS — TEAS — DINNERS A Southern inn of quiet charm and old time hospitality KATHRYN D. McNULTA Telephone 2-3487 Century House Antiques MAGNOLIA GARDENS Acclaimed by Experts as the WORLD'S MOST BEAUTIFUL GARDEN OPEN THANKSGIVING TO MAY COPLESTON'S LAUNDRY - CLEANERS 537 Meeting Street MT. PLEASANT, S. C. HIGHWAY 17 3 MILES NORTH OF HISTORIC CHARLESTON Middleton Gardens DATES FROM 1741 The Oldest Landscaped Garden in America OPEN EVERY DAY FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR * 48 *-
  • Image 01
    marguerite sinkler valk a. i. a. Invites you to visit her Antique Shop attractively located m an 18th Century Charleston home Authentic Replicas of Fabrics and Wallpapers til s alle seven sloll s alley, (OFF CHURCH ST.. NEAR WATER) New and Used Books Rental Library Bookhunting 9:30 to 6 THE BOOK BASEMENT 9 COLLEGE STREET (OPPOSITE COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON) Hundreds of books on Charleston, the Lowcountry, and South Carolina. Send for list. If you want a book, any book, ask us about it. If it is out of print, we can probably find it. MRS. RICHARD CORNELL RHETT (§lh Ixnm\ft?& Em loom WAFFLES BREAKFAST - LUNCHEON - DINNER AFTERNOON TEA 72 CHURCH STREET PHONE 2-7780 D. TROWBRIDGE ELLIMAN PLANTATIONS TOWN AND COUNTRY BEAT, ESTATE DIAL 3-4181 SALES, KENTAI.S AND APPRAISALS Post Office Box 305 3 6 Broad St. Charleston, S. C. Unusual Old Timey "Charleston" Candies ©ED SLAVE MART CANDIES PEACH LEATHER BENNE BRITTLE BENNE WAFERS BENNE BITS PECAN PRALINES Made by Original Old Receipes Phone 2-4130 163 KING ST. MIDDLETON GARDENS TEA ROOM LUNCHEON AND TEA 12:00 - 6:00 NO GARDEN TICKET REQUIRED TO ENTER TEA ROOM TELEPHONE 6-3661 * 49 «•
  • Image 01
    For intimate dining . . . Featured Entertainment—Open Noon to Midnight. A delightfully different Coffee Shop—Open daily from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. errands ivfarion Charleston's Finest Completely Remodeled AAA RECOMMENDED Mount Vernon Court FOUR AND A HALF MILES SOUTH ON U. S. 17 NEAREST TO WORLD FAMOUS GARDENS TELEPHONE 6-2361 TV IN ROOMS ROOM TELEPHONES YOUR HOSTS COL. DICK AND MYRT BRADHAM The South Carolina National Bank Dual Lane Highway 16 Broad Street Charleston Heights North Charleston 253 King St. Mt. Pleasant Member of The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation SEE CHARLESTON COMPLETELY By: Bus Limousine By Yacht Airplane GRAY LINE TOURS Francis Marion Hotel Phone 2-4444 Jenkins Insurance C. BISSELL JENKINS, JR., INC. INSURANCE — REAL ESTATE Sound Protection at Lowest Cost Telephone 2-7621 28 BROAD STREET — P. 0. BOX 887 CHARLESTON, S. C. 50
  • Image 01
    PIRATES CRUZE Mount Pleasant, South Carolina GARDENS BY THE SEA Famous Gold Medal Camellias Over 300 Varieties OPEN ALL YEAR — ADMISSION CHARGED 7 Miles from Charleston — 1 Mile from Highway No. 17-North CATFISH ROW ON CHURCH ST. Better Things For Men and across the street Women's Sportswear and Accessories The Goat Cart Bargain Shop — Antiques and Modern 91 CHURCH STREET SQUIRREL INN SUMMERVILLE, SOUTH CAROLINA BREAKFAST — LUNCHEON — DINNER EVERY ROOM WITH PRIVATE BATH EUGENE SUTTER—Owner-Manager TELEPHONE—Summerville 4431 COLOR SLIDES OF CHARLESTON, HER HOMES AND GARDENS NORVELL'S CAMERA EXCHANGE CAROLINA'S COMPLETE CAMERA CENTER Francis Marion Hotel Phone 2-2113 54 Market Street OPEN 7 DAYS PER WEEK. Noon to 11 P. M. HOLIDAY INN Dining Room 6 A. M. to 10 P. M.
  • Image 01
    On the Famous Battery Overlooking Charleston Harbor For Your Dining Pleasure Rampart Room Don Grady MANAGER FOOT OF KING STREET 52
  • Image 01
    ADVERTISING DIRECTORY ANTIQUE SHOPS INTERIOR DECORATORS Geo. C. Birlant & Co. Page 48 Marguerite Sinkler Valk Page 49 Marquerite Sinkler Valk Page 49 Virginia Chisolm Pge 47 Jack Patla Co. Page 45 Sue Tarpley Sanders Page 46 Century House Page 48 LADIES CLOTHES BANKS Bess Page 51 The South Carolina National Page 50 MEN'S CLOTHES BOOKS Porgy Page 51 Book Basement Page 49 Legerton & Co., Inc. Page 45 MOTORS COURTS Brookgreen Meadows Page 48 CHARLESTON DELICACIES Lord Ashley Page 46 Old Slave Mart Page 49 Mount Vernon Page 50 Old Town Page 47 CLEANERS Holiday Inn Page 47 Copies ton's Page 48 PHOTOGRAPHIC SUPPLIES DEPARTMENT STORES Norvell's Camera Exchange Page 51 Condon's Page 46 GARDENS Cypress Gardens Gift Shop Page 46 PRINTERS Walker, Evans & Cogswell Co. Page 47 Magnolia Gardens Page 48 Middleton Gardens Page 48 REAL ESTATE & INSURANCE Pierates Cruze Page 51 D. Trowbridge Elliman Page 49 Jenkins Insurance Agency Page 50 GIFT SHOPS Cypress Gardens Gife Shop Page 46 RESTAURANTS Legerton & Co., Inc. Page 45 Brewton Inn Tea Room Page 48 Old Slave Mart Page 49 Fort Sumter Dining Room Page 52 The Goat Cart Page 51 Francis Marion Coffee Shop Page 50 Henry's Page 51 HOTELS Cypress Gardens Tea Room Page 46 Fort Sumter Hotel Page 52 Middleton Gardens Tea Room Page 49 Francis Marion Hotel Page 50 Squirrel Inn, Summerville Page 51 St. John Hotel Page 46 Old Ironsides Page 49 Holiday Inn Page 47 INNS Howard Johnsons Page 47 Brewton Inn Page 48 Squirrel Inn, Summerville Page 51 SIGHTSEEING Carolina Inn, Summerville Page 45 Gray Line Tours Page 50
Title:
Charleston's Historic Houses, 1956: Ninth Annual Tours Sponsored by Historic Charleston Foundation
Date:
1956
Description:
Descriptions and photographs of the historic houses on tour in 1956. Published by Historic Charleston Foundation, 1956; printed by Walker, Evans & Cogswell. Fifty-two pages. (Note: All a/k/a references pertain to the name of the house as listed in Jonathan Poston's book The Buildings of Charleston: A Guide to the City's Architecture; USC Press, 1997.)
Collection:
Historic Charleston Foundation's Tours of Homes
Contributing Institution:
Margaretta Childs Archives at Historic Charleston Foundation
Media Type:
Pamphlets
Personal or Corporate Subject:
Historic Charleston Foundation -- Tours
Topical Subject:
Architecture, Domestic -- South Carolina -- Charleston -- Guidebooks, Historic buildings -- South Carolina -- Charleston, Dwellings -- South Carolina -- Charleston
Geographic Subject:
Charleston (S.C.) -- Buildings, structures, etc., Low Country
Shelving Locator:
HCF.FOHG.001
S.C. County:
Charleston County (S.C.)
Material Type:
image/jpeg
Digitization Specifications:
301 ppi, 24-bit depth color, HP Scanjet 4890. Archival Masters are tiffs.
Copyright Status Statement:
Margaretta Childs Archives at Historic Charleston Foundation Digital image copyright 2010, Historic Charleston Foundation. All rights reserved. For more information contact Margaretta Childs Archives at HCF, P.O. Box 1120, Charleston, SC 29402.