Charleston's Historic Houses, 1950: Third Annual Tours Sponsored by Historic Charleston Foundation

  • Image 01
    CHARLESTON'S HISTORIC HOUSES A Series of Tours Through Twenty Private Homes in Charleston, South Carolina April 15, 1950 Sponsored by Historic Charleston Foundation 94 Church Street Charleston, S. C. "... to preserve and use the architectural and historic treasures of the Charleston area".
  • Image 01
    Tours of Historic Houses CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA Histories of Houses by Samuel Gaillard Stoney More than any other city in this country Charleston is a living history of herself. As such she is a national heritage, with street upon street of buildings that serve today as they served the past generations, buildings loved for their beauty, their » dignity and comfort, and cherished for their fame. Each year thousands who have come to visit the world-famous gardens have walked also through Charleston's vivid pictures of the past, noting the amenities of the "single" house and omnipresent piazza, the curious "front" doors, the formidable garden walls, the big handsome iron gates. CHARLESTON IS NOW OPENING HER GATES AND DOORS. Charlestonians are now admitting the public to some of their finest houses. In the garden season of 1950 owners of twenty distinguished homes will show them for the benefit of this historic city, to preserve its beauty and its interest for the nation. Historic Charleston Foundation, a non-profit, educational institution, seeks to preserve and use the architectural and historic treasures of the Charleston area, not as museums but as living parts of the community. With funds from gifts (which are tax free), bequests, and the operation of tours, the Foundation offers planning and financial aid to preserve Charleston's heritage. Courtesy Information CHARLESTON: Saturday, March 4, 2:00 p. m. Plantation Tour, Benefit National Cathedral, Washington, D. C. Saturday, March 11, 3 p. m.—Tour of Town Houses Women of St. Michael's Church Saturday, March 18, 2:30 p. m.—Tour of Town Houses St. Philip's Woman's Auxiliary Saturday, March 25, 2 p. m.—Plantation Tour Women of St. Michael's Church Saturday, April 1, 2 p. m.—Plantation Tour St. Philip's Woman's Auxiliary Saturday, April 8, 3 p. m.—Tour of Town Houses Charleston Garden Club Wednesday Evenings, March 22, 29; April 5, Candlelight Concerts at Heyward-Washington House VIRGINIA AND MARYLAND TOURS: Historic Garden Week in Virginia, April 22-29 Headquarters: Room 1, Jefferson Hotel, Richmond 19, Va. Maryland House & Garden Pilgrimage, April 28—May 9 Hdqs.: 217 Sheraton-Belvedere Hotel, Baltimore, Md. General Information TOURS: There will be a morning and an afternoon tour each day, Monday through Friday, with a special tour on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday evenings. The first two tours, A and B, will be shown March 20 through March 31. The last two C and D, will be shown April 3 through April 15. Visitors are conducted through the homes by hostesses. Homes may be visited in any order desired. A tour ticket is good for the entire two- week period and entitles the visitor to one admission to each house at any time during the hours those houses are open. Transportation when desired will be available at reasonable cost. Full information and tour tickets may be secured from the Tour Headquarters, 94 Church St., or from the hotels. TOURS HEADQUARTERS AND TOURIST INFORMATION BUREAU 94 Church Street Historic Charleston Foundation and Charleston's World Famous Gardens, Magnolia, Middleton and Cypress, maintain a Tourist Information Bureau and Tours Headquarters at 94 Church Street. Here tickets may be purchased and full information secured on Charleston and its environs. ROOMS IN PRIVATE HOMES: May be obtained through this office. We advise that reservations be made in advance. Hotels and Inns Brewton Inn—Single, $5; Double, $6 up. Charleston Hotel—Single, $2 to $4; Double, $4 to $12. Fort Sumter Hotel—Single, $6 to $12; Double, $8 to $14. Francis Marion Hotel—Single, $4 up; Double, $8 up. St. John Hotel—Single, $3.50 to $5; Double, $5 to $8. Timrod Hotel—Single, $1.75 te $3; Doable, $2.75 to $5.50. Villa Margherita—American Plan $12 per person-up. TRAVEL INFORMATION: Charleston is served by the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad, and the Southern Railway; by the Delta Airlines, Eastern Airlines, and National Airlines; by the Greyhound Bus Line; and by IT. S. Highways 17, 52 and 78. Copyright, 1950, by Historic Charleston Foundation. TOUR A 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., March 20, 21, 22, 23, 24. 3 p.m. to 6 p.m., March 27, 28, 29, 30, 31. THOMAS ROSE'S HOUSE. 59 Church Street, c. 1735. Thomas and Beuler Elliott Rose built this very handsome early Georgian house when this part of the town was just ceasing to be a community of ship-builders. Restored by Mr. and Mrs. Frank E. Whitman in 1929, and now the home of Mr. and Mrs. Henry P. Staats, it retains its original early Georgian panelling, and is furnished with a fine collection of Adam, Chippendale and Heppelwhite. YOUNG-JOHNSON HOUSE. 35 Church Street, c. 1770. Thomas Young, then an extensive Charleston builder, finished this characteristic "single" house shortly before the Revolution. In the beginning of the nineteenth century it was long the home of the versatile Dr. Joseph Johnson, physician, historian, and intendant of Charleston, and the president of the city's branch of the second Bank of the United States. Mr. Wilmer Hoffman, the well-known sculptor, who lately restored and redecorated the house, has furnished it with a most interesting collection of family furniture and objects of art, ably demonstrating the harmonious blending of many periods and styles. JAMES SHOOLBRED'S HOUSE. 2 Ladson Street, c. 1793. James Shooibred, first British consul at Charleston, appears to have built this house at the time of his marriage with Mary, daughter and heiress of Thomas Middleton of Crowfield. For some reason, he shortly let it go to Dr. James Clitherall, Until 1893 this house stood on a narrow lane that did little more than serve it. When it was then widened and opened into a street, the present entrance seems to have been added. Since 1939 it has been the residence of Mr, and Mrs. B. Owen Geer, who have filled its fine rooms with a great many handsome things. MRS. JANE WIGHTMAN'S HOUSE. 36 Chal- mer's Street, c. 1835. Built early in the Greek Revival style. Remodelled as a residence by Miss Josephine Pinckney, the Charleston author. Another fine example of the smaller Charleston home, notable for its handsome and historic furnishings, many from the two family plantations of El Dorado and Fairfield. TOUR B 10 a.m. to 1 pjn., March 27, 28, 29, 30, 31. 3 p.m. to 6 pan., March 20, 21, 22, 23, 24. CAPTAIN JOHN MORRISON'S HOUSE. 125 Tradd Street, c. 1807. John Morrison, mariner and merchant, built this fine single house. Mr. Frederic Stevens Allen and his family have added to it by skillful renovations, the planting of a fascinating garden, and an outstanding collection of French furniture and Chinese Lowestoft. WILLIAM GIBBES' HOUSE. 64 South Battery, c. 1772. This splendid Georgian mansion was built by William Gibbes at the water side overlooking the long wharf that carried his business out to the channel of the Ashley River. It has had such owners as the Rev. John Grimke Drayton, who planted the Magnolia Gardens, and the late Mrs. Washington A. Roebling, widow of the builder of the Brooklyn Bridge, who restored both house and garden. It is now the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Ashby Farrow. The Ball-room with its high cove ceiling, rich furnishings and detail, is one of the Souths outstanding rooms. PHILIP PORCHER'S HOUSE. 19 Archdale Street, c. 1765. While making a fortune planting indigo in St. Stephen's, Philip Porcher, of Old- field, built this town house on land his wife's people, the Mazycks, had held since 1711. With its high brick basement and back and front steps, it still resembles closely the sort of house then popular in the country. With very few alterations it has just come back, after many years, to the family of the builder, Porcher being an uncle thrice removed of Mr. and Mrs. Richard G. White, the present owner. THE HARTH-MIDDLETON HOUSE. 68 South Battery, c. 1797. When John Harth built the original portion of this dwelling, then a typical Adam style single house, the Ashley river ran just beside it and marsh and a lumber yard occupied much of the garden. In 1843 Henry Augustus Middleton, of Weehaw, began the additions to the west of the house and the enlargement of the garden. In 1917 Col. and Mrs. W. J. Pettus carried the garden out to its present bounds over the Boulevard fill and erected the old Charleston brick walls and iron fencing. Noteworthy for its magnificent garden and ironwork. Now the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Batson L. Hewitt.
  • Image 01
    TOUR C 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., April 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. 3 p.m. to 6 p.m., April 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. WILLIAM HENDRICKS' BUILDINGS. 83 Church Street, c. 1749. After the fire of 1740 cleared out this part of town, William Hendricks, a planter in Christ Church Parish, built these most agreeable twin houses with stores beneath them for rental. Since 1936 Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds D. Brown have remodelled the buildings, one for a residence, the other for a store, and made a winter home for themselves in the old kitchen behind the archway. A charming bit of imaginative restoration, typical of much that has been done in Charleston in recent years. THOMAS LEGARE'S HOUSE. 90 Church Street. c. 1760. Built in very handsome mid-Georgian style by a merchant of a well known Huguenot family when Church Street was a lively part of Charleston's business district. Now the home of Mr. W. Lucas Simons. A typical piazza, overlooking a garden with arched brick walls makes a charming entrance to a house filled with family furniture and portraits. JOSEPH WINTHROP'S HOUSE. 129 Tradd Street, c. 1797. Joseph Winthrop, one of a long succession of New Englanders to seek and find fortunes here, married a sister of Charles Fraser, the miniaturist, getting as part of her dower the land where he built this house. Afterwards it served his family as a home for a century and a quarter. The restrained Adam style of the principal rooms is practically in its orginal condition. It is now the residence of Admiral and Mrs. William S. Popham. MRS. WILLIAM HEYWARD'S HOUSE. 31 Legare Street, c. 1789. Hannah Shubrick Heyward, the year after the death of her husband, a member of one of the greatest rice-planting families in the Low Country, bought this property and built this town house. Later she added the half- round bays that give so much charm to the parlor and library of her compact double house, with its fine panels and delicate Adam ornament. After her death the house passed to the Roper family, who in turn sold it in 1870 to the late Augustine T. Smythe. It is now the residence of his son, Mr. Augustine T. Smythe, and Mrs. Smythe. TOUR D 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., April 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. 3 p.m. to 6 p.m., April 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. COLONEL OTHNIEL BEALE'S HOUSE. 101 East Bay Street, c. 1740. Just after the outbreak of King George's War this part of Charleston was swept by a great fire. Othniel Beale, an immigrant from New England, and Colonel of provincial troops in charge of strengthening the town's fortifications, then bought and built on this property and the one to the south of it a combination of stores and residences. Handsome rooms panelled with Low-Country cypress show how a merchant of Charleston lived. This is now the home of Mr. and Mrs. Lionel K. Legge, who in 1931 began the rehabilitation, from slums, of the block of houses in which theirs stands. GEORGE EVELEIGH'S HOUSE. 39 Church Street, c. 1738. When the Eveleighs built this bouse they bad for some time been at the bead of the great Indian trade that bartered with British goods far out into the mountains of Tennessee and the valley of the Mississippi. Later it was occupiel by Dr. John Louis Polony, emigre from San Domingo and botanist of reputation. This residence was here when Water Street was in part a creek. It has long been the home of Miss Mary O. Marshall, and her family. Most of the furniture is of Charleston origin and has been for generations in the owner's family. COLONEL ISAAC MOTTE'S HOUSE. 30 Meeting Street, c. 1769. According to tradition Isaac Motte, a veteran of the Cherokee War, and a fighting colonel in the Revolution, bought this house and completed it about 1769. For a century and three quarters it remained in his family, until in 1947 Mrs. Victor Morawetz purchased it, and modernized it. Mrs. Morawetz has removed the accumulated coats of paint of 180 years to expose the fine old Cypress panelling. ASHLEY HALL. 172 Rutledge Avenue, c. 1816. Patrick Duncan, who made a pleasant fortune as a tallow-chandler and factor, built this massive Regency house. It was later occupied by George A. Trenholm, a great Charleston merchant and Secretary of the Treasury of the Confederate States, and was afterwards the home of Charles 0. Witte. Notable are mantels and stairway spiralling up to a ceiling light of colored glass. Since 1909 it has been a famous southern school for girls. SPECIAL EVENING TOURS Four evenings a week, or Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from March 20 to April 15, houses will be on tour. These tours, which include one house only, are from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. Price: $1.00 plus Tax. Monday, 8 p. m.-10 p. m.—March 20, 27; April 3, 10 CAPERS HUGER-SMITH HOUSE. 69 Church Street, c. 1745. A fine early example of the double house, built about 1745 by Richard Capers. Afterwards this was the home of Jacob Motte, treasurer of the Province. Bought in 1868 by Mrs. William Mason Smith, it has belonged ever since to her family, and is now the home of her granddaughters, Miss Caroline R. Huger Smith, and Miss Alice R. Huger Smith, the distinguished water-colorist. The house is considered one of the finest and oldest in the city. Tuesday, 8 p. m.-10 p. m.—March 21, 28; April 4, 11 THE BRANFORD-HORRY HOUSE. 59 Meeting Street, c. 1751. Shortly after their marriage William Branford, and his wife Elizabeth Savage, appear to have built this distinguished bouse on part of her property, in the fine style of the time. About 1830, their grandson, Elias Horry, ex-intendant of Charleston, and president of the South Carolina Railroad, added the porch over the street, and made changes in the first story. The panelled interiors are unusual and interesting, and are furnished with fine English and American pieces of Colonial Charleston. Now the home of Mrs. Percy Gamble Kammerer. Thursday, 8 p. m.-10 p. m.—March 23, 30; April 6, 13 TIMOTHY FORD'S HOUSE. 54 Meeting Street. c. 1800. This very handsome house in the Adam style was built by Timothy Ford, a native of New Jersey who became a Charlestonian. According to tradition, Lafayette was entertained here. Now the residence of Dr. and Mrs. Ransom S. Hooker, who will show the lovely rooms and fine old furniture by candlelight. Friday, 8 p. m.-lO p. m.—March 24, 31; April 7, 14 WILLIAM MASON SMITH HOUSE. 26 Meeting Street, c. 1822. Built in the high taste of the Regency Style, this house with its fine facade, lovely vaulted entrance ball and spiralling stairs, is now attributed to William Jay, the celebrated English architect. Home of Mrs. John R. Bennett.
  • Image 01
    CHARLESTONS HISTORIC HOUSES MARCH 20 - APR! L 15 HEADQUARTERS 94 CHURCH ST. CHARLESTON, i&STON FOUfwATIU]
  • Image 01
    CHARLESTON'S HISTORIC HOUSES 1950 Third Annual Tours Sponsored by Historic Charleston Foundation 94 Church Street Charleston, S. C.
  • Image 01
    Published By HISTORIC CHARLESTON FOUNDATION Copyright 1950 Printed By WALKER, EVANS & COGSWELL CO. Charleston, S. C
  • Image 01
  • Image 01
    In 1940, farsighted members of the Board of Directors of the Carolina Art Association determined to take action for the preservation of the many fine architectural and historic buildings which were Charleston's priceless heritage. The Civic Services Committee was formed and, with a grant from the Carnegie Corporation, a study was begun to determine the number of buildings within the city of architectural or historic value, and to classify them as to their importance. This tremendous undertaking was completed in 1944 with the publication of "This is Charleston", a classified directory of 1168 buildings worthy of recognition. In the march of time subsequent to the completion of this study, Charleston lost many of these valuable edifices through disfigurement or destruction, attributable to ignorance in the guise of progress, and it was deemed advisable to make some further move to implement the cause of preservation. Again the Carolina Art Association, following a suggestion made by Mr. Kenneth Chorley, President of Colonial Williamsburg, recommended that a corporation be formed for the dual purpose of educating the public as to the worth of these many fine old buildings, and to assist in their preservation whenever their destruction seemed imminent. From this group, and through private subscription, Historic Charleston Foundation was incorporated in 1947. This Foundation is a non-profit, educational institution seeking to aid and preserve Charleston's heritage, not only for those who live here, but for all who come to enjoy its beauty. -» 2 *
  • Image 01
    The Board of Trustees of Historic Charleston Foundation, taking cognizance of the increasing difficulty of maintaining private institutions through public subscription, wisely sought some means whereby the Foundation might earn its own support. With this thought in mind, the annual Tours of Historic Houses was determined upon. For what could be more fitting than that those homes which have been better cared for through their ownership, should aid the institution dedicated to the preservation of those equally worthy but less fortunate. For the ultimate aim of Historic Charleston Foundation is to preserve and use the architectural and historic treasures of the Charleston area, not as museums, but as living parts of the community. C. BissEll Jenkins, Jr. President, Historic Charleston Foundation OFFICERS President Vice President- Secretary Treasurer -C. BtssELL Jenkins, Jr. Ben Scott Whaley E. Gaillard Dotterer C. Lester Cannon TRUSTEES Mr. LoutrEl W. Briggs Mr. C Lester Cannon Mr. K. Gatllard Dotterer Mrs. Victor Morawetz Miss Josephine Pinckney Miss Alice R. Huger Smith Mr. Henry P. Staats Mr. C. BissEee Jenkins, Jr. Mrs. Percy Gamble Kammerer Mr. Lionel K. Legge Mrs. Lionel K. Legge Mr. Julian Mitchell Mr. William Mason Smith Mr. Ben Scott Whaley Mr. E. Milby Burton Mr. Homer M. Pace Mr. Benjamin R. Kittredge. Jr. Mr. Albert Simons Mr. Samuel G. Stoney Mr. Robert N. S. Whitelaw •* 3 «•
  • Image 01
    The Tours The Tours are held each year during the last two weeks in March and the first two weeks in April. They are planned to coincide with the season of the year when the gardens are in bloom, and when the city itself is at its loveliest, colorful with wisteria, azaleas and roses. During the 1950 season twenty-one private homes will be open in a series of four daytime tours, and five evening tours. There are four houses on each daytime tour, with a morning and an afternoon tour each day, Monday through Friday. The hours are 10 a. m. to 1 p. m. in the mornings, and 3 p. m. to 6 p. m. in the afternoons. The first two tours are shown for the first two weeks, the second two tours run for the last two weeks. Every evening except Sunday, there is a special evening tour from 8 p. m. to 10 p. m., when one home is open. A. different home is shown each evening. Visitors are conducted through the houses by hostesses, homes may be visited in any order desired, but visitors will have to provide their own transportation where needed. Full information and tour tickets may be secured from the Tours Headquarters, 94 Church Street. Visitors are asked not to take interior photographs, and to refrain from smoking in the houses. -» 4 «-
  • Image 01
    THE TOURS HEADQUARTERS 94 Church Street c. 1759 The Historic Charleston Foundation is fortunate in having for its headquarters a room in one of the city's historic houses, the residence at one time of the beautiful and unfortunate Theodosia Burr. The room occupied was, off and on for a hundred and eighty years, used as an office by lawyers and statesmen of Old Charleston. In 1759, this lot was purchased by Mary, wife of John Cooper, and a "free sole trader", doing business independent of her husband. The rich woodwork of the stairhall and the proportions of the exterior show that the house was one of the finest of its high-Georgian times in the town. In proof of this, John Izard, wealthy member of a wealthy family, paid the handsome sum of £9,999 current money for it in 1765. Another notable owner of the house was Joseph Alston, later Governor of South Carolina, and his lovely wife Theodosia, daughter of the remarkable Aaron Burr. Her loss in a storm off Hatteras has been the simple cause of much elaborate romancing. About the middle of the nineteenth century a devastating remodelling of the interiors left little but the stairway to show how rich had been the decoration the house had been given a hundred years before. A fire-insurance marker on the street front is one of the few of its kind left in Charleston. In 1884 this fine old residence was purchased by the late George Paul, whose family ever since have made it their home. •* 5 «■
  • Image 01
    The English Tradition The earliest of the houses on our tours was built in 1735 and the latest in 1835 so that a century of Architecture is presented for your enjoyment. They all belong to that fortunate age which saw the finest flowering of taste throughout the English speaking world. During this period, England was able to maintain high standards, thanks to the patronage of the arts assumed by her landed gentry and prosperous merchants. After the middle of the 18th Century, London became more and more the center from which new influences spread. The Capital set the lead for the provincial cities and the colonial centers followed her example after a time lag of several years. Even fire regulations adopted in London eventually were reflected in building practices on our Atlantic seaboard. During the 18th Century, it was considered good business for a man of means to spend his surplus wealth on the improvement of the buildings and grounds of his estates. He was careful, therefore, to employ the best architectural talent available. Men of more modest resources were content with less ambitious programs, but they saw to it that the same fastidious care for the amenities prevailed. This taste was universally understood and accepted with rules as absolute as those of grammar and rhetoric. While such rigid controls led to a certain uniformity and lack of invention, it made for an impressively high average of performance. Every English gentleman in the 18th Century, whose credit permitted, sent his eldest son on the grand tour and did not expect him home until he had paid his respects to the paragons of architectural perfection on the European continent. This introduction to the recognized examples, though often superficial, at least established admirable standards that were accepted without question. While only the very great employed the famous architects, the influence of these artists was disseminated far and wide by innumerable publications illustrating their masterpieces and expounding their principles. •* 6 *•
  • Image 01
    Scores of great country houses were abuilding in all the English counties in the first half of the 18th Century, employing armies of skilled workmen of all kinds for many years under the most exacting supervision. Once standards were established, smaller and simpler homes were built with the same conscientious care and workmanlike finish. Many such master craftsmen bettered their fortunes by shipping to the American Colonies and contributing their knowledge and skill to our early architecture. Any attempt to establish rigid stylistic categories seems both misleading and futile, architecture being constantly in a state of change as it responds to the many influences that determine its forms and functions. Throughout this period, the character of taste changed with each generation, but what is significant for us is that its quality remained at a constantly high level. By a happy accident of history, this City was one of the many beneficiaries of this era of taste, not assuredly in its most grandiose form, but in one of its simpler and more engaging moods that survives as a solace and a joy to a more distracted age. ALBERT SIMONS Fellow American Institute of Architects. -$ 7 *
  • Image 01
    Charleston began in the April of 1670, the pleasantest time of her year, when the first colony, sent to settle what would become South Carolina, was led to her most excellent harbor and fine site by a friendly Indian Chief, the Cassique of the Kiawahs. The colonists were already a grand mixture of English, Irish, West Indians and Ber- mudans, but there were several men of experience among them. As soon as possible these had the tip of the wdde peninsula, that was called Oyster Point, reserved for a future town, but, being properly aware that the Spaniards of Florida, their nearest colonial neighbors, considered them dangerous trespassers, they started the first settlement on a very defensible finger of land to the west of the Ashley and several miles further from the bar than Oyster Point. Wars in Europe and politics in England hindered the growth of the colony for ten years, but the first Charlestonians were able to scare away an expedition from St. Augustine in the first summer, and by 1672 felt secure enough to order that the site on Oyster Point be enlarged and marked out for a town. This was done from a "Grand Modell" which provided most of the principal streets between the Battery and the line of Beaufain Street, then continued as a boundary over to the Cooper. You can mark where it crossed the principal "path" up the peninsula by the "bend" in King Street. The "Grand Modell" provided two "great" streets, now called Broad and Meeting, to quarter roughly the largest area of solid ground within the creek-riddled site. These "great" streets intersected in a market place, lost long since under public buildings. Broad Street, then called Cooper, came to the river of the same name at about the center of the long bluff that ran along East Bay, from the head of East Battery to the Markets. This was used as wharfage until better could be built. After 1679, when the town was officially brought across the Ashley the new Charles Town began growing inland from the bluff along streets then considered very wide and regular. Time and tempests, fashions and fires, bombardments and earthquakes have, in the centuries since, combined to destroy every known building from the Charles Town of the seventeenth century. Old prints, and such ancient plantation houses as that at Medway, give us some notion of what they were, but the lay of the city from the "Grand Modell" now remains its most authentic souvenir of that time. If the town's first ten years were hampered by the troubles abroad, the next twenty were complicated by rows at home. Once the wars were over, substantial West Indians came here bringing the form of plantations from the islands where they were being perfected. A tolerant constitution induced groups of Protestant minorities, suffering in the Counter Reformation, to colonize here. A considerable number of French Huguenots and English Puritans began to arrive in 1680. Quakers from England, Sctoch Covenanters, Puritans from Long Island, and Baptists, driven from Maine by the theo- crats of Massachusetts, helped to make up a fine mixture that lost no heat from certain adventurous souls, who certainly had been privateers, and were freely accused of having been pirates. These made the town a smelting pot that boiled of its own frictional heat until the coming of the new century. •* 8 *
  • Image 01
    At the same time the community found things to grow on. Bold traders carried a barter business with the Indians beyond the Mississippi. Rice was developed as a plantation staple. South Carolina began to feed the sugar islands, whence so many settlers came to her; to send them oak staves for their puncheons, and pine for their buildings. All three businesses lasted for many years; rice, for over two centuries. But loneliness, danger and the virtues of the harbor kept the isolated colony closely integrated with Charles Town, until the town was too strong to brook the rise of nearby rivals. With Virginia twice as far away as St. Augustine, and the vicious capes about Hatteras adding to the longer distance, the town was forced to be self-sufficient and to think like a city when it was still the size of a village. The opening of the eighteenth century brought Queen Anne's War to add to this characteristic. The thick-built part of the town was fortified with walls and bastions run in from the ends of the bluff and along the line of Meeting Street. These further compressed building as they made the town a true "city of refuge". Trouble followed trouble to keep it so. During the war, South Carolinians drove off a combined Spanish and French fleet and ravaged Florida up to the very walls of the stout little "castle" at St. Augustine. They then led Indian auxiliaries to drive the Tuscaroras out of North Carolina, and threatened the rival French traders at Pensacola and Mobile. Later they had to turn and fight for existence against a general rising of Indians led by the Yemasees. Then, when they had saved the colony, they had to send out naval expeditions to clear their coast and the North Carolina inlets of a heavy infestation of pirates. To cap everything", the colony in 1719 revolted from the inefficient rule of its Proprietors and was made a Royal Province. As such it throve largely until the Revolution. In those fifty-odd years Charles Town learned to live rather splendidly for a little capital and town-of-trade of a smallish colony. Hundreds of thousands of deer skins, not so valuable as peltries, but bulking into money, were brought in by boat and pack- train from all over our Southeast. Rice led planters up and down the Low Country of South Carolina and then across the Savannah into land this colony claimed between Savannah and Florida. King George's War came like Balaam to curse, by breaking up temporarily our rice market in Southern Europe, and, like the prophet, remained to bless, by causing the introduction of indigo, first as a substitute for rice then as an additional staple that made many a fortune in the Low Country before it was lost in the Revolution. Money brought education abroad and culture at home. A gracious way of living in a semi-tropical climate began to call for architectural plans and details of our own. Most notable of these plans is that of the "single" house, so well illustrated by that of Mrs. Anne Boone, and so commonly and generally distributed. The town at this time completed or built many fine public buildings. At the beginning of the century one of the most peace-giving measures for the colony had been the establishment of the Church of England. This put religion into government and took it out of politics very effectively. It also created a number of fine and interesting church buildings in the parishes and the town. The second church of St. Philip's congregation was conceded for many years to be the finest ecclesiastical structure in England's American colonies. After King George's War, St. Michael's was built where the town had its first place of worship in a corner of the market place. About the same time two other equally fine "Palladian" buildings were given the corners across Meeting •* 9 *
  • Image 01
    Street. The Guard House, standing where the Post Office is now, was first butchered, then completely destroyed. The State House, burned out in 1788, was mangled somewhat in being made into a Court for the county, and has suffered severely since. Stopping the Bay end of Broad Street, the town built a fine Exchange that still exists, though sadly changed. Taking these all together, and with such fine houses as those of William Gibbes and the Branfords to fill in, Charleston must have been an impressively fine little city. The Revolution stopped almost all architecture and a great deal else until about 1790. Then the cotton gin and power mills for cleaning rice broke the bottle necks in a new and an old industry. By 1800 these had brought prosperity back to a town which had dignified its position by changing its name to Charleston. Its new Republicans found in the style of Robert Adam an untried and charming way of decorating, and/or planning their homes. More often this delicate and refined fashion was applied to the "single" house, as you will see it in that of Timothy Ford, but, as Charleston was then spreading out into a number of suburbs, you will find an extraordinary lot of Adam houses scattered all over the city. Hunting them in our by-ways adds to the sport of a visit to, or a life in, Charleston. The War of 1812 set a sharp limit to this period and kept another from developing before 1820. Then Charleston discovered "Regency". Just as they had done with Adam's decoration, they now used the similar but more robust succeeding style, most often to modify their "single" houses. William Mason Smith's house is an example of a handsome compromise. Detail and facade may be Regency, but analyze the plan and you will find the principal rooms banked along the southern side of the building to constitute what is practically a "single" house with the stair pulled out to one side. And behind one conventional wing of the facade rise three tiers of masked piazzas. While Charleston began politically to measure the worth of the Federal Union in the 'thirties and 'forties, and to despair of remaining in it during the 'fifties, the architectural "revivals" came to her. Greek, Gothic and Classic she treated alike, largely as she had handled the Adam and Regency styles before them. Here and there you find developed "Greek" or "Classic" houses, but the styles, when not modified to our plans, were largely left to public buildings. Gothic of the eighteenth-century, "Strawberry Hill" sort, had been used here already, in a playful but very limited way, on servants' houses and stablings. Be it said to the city's great credit that she never, in the days of its revival, debased it to use on a dwelling house. The Greek orders were used with similar discretion. You will see heroic Dotic employed by a number of churches, but no Charleston house is huddled behind a miniature of a temple portico. Ionic and Corinthian, Greek and Roman, yes; but desecration of the great style, never! The war that Charleston began came nearer destroying her economically than physically. Despite the bombardments of three years, and all the other delapidations of the poverty and chaos that followed, the adventure was a bit like the erruption that overwhelmed Pompei and at the same time partly preserved for us that once wicked, charming, little city. Charleston's architectural life was well nigh in a state of suspended animation during all the ghastly "late" Victorianisms and the slow recovery of good taste after them. You can see some exceedingly dreadful examples of what a little money did to decent Charleston houses in the 'seventies and 'eighties, but only enough of them to point the moral. Poverty, virtuous as when St. Francis embraced her, kept the city relatively pure. So when a new era opened after World War I, there was much to love, to admire, and to save. With a mixture of faith and works, part of Charleston is trying to keep the best of her for the nation and posterity. SAMUEL GAILLARD STONEY -& 10 «•
  • Image 01
    HOUSE! THE 1950 Descriptive Histories By SAMUEL GAILLARD STONEY ■* 11 *■
  • Image 01
    Courtesy Carolina Art Association Van Anda No. 1—THOMAS ROSE'S HOUSE 59 Church Street e. 1735 Thomas Rose's early Georgian house, the oldest home on these tours and one of the three or four oldest in the city, has survived time, change, fire, wars and an earthquake that have taken practically all of Charleston's earlier buildings. Rose apparently built in 1735. His unsymetrical floor plan is almost unaltered. His large dignified panels, robust cornices, and other simple early Georgian decorations are nearly as he left them. A delicate little Adam mantel was evidently placed in the drawing room as a "modernization" at the beginning of the nineteenth century, but this adds a curious touch that is rather charming. And this is the most noticable change.
  • Image 01
    The house, like many others in Charleston, has a ghost, but this one is friendly and whistles as he ascends the stair. He is supposed to belong to a Dr. Joseph Ladd Brown; a Rhode Islander by birth, a M. D. by vocation, but a poet and something of a knight- errant by avocation. While living here, in 1786, he defended the performance of a lovely actress then playing in Charleston. The dispute turned into a newspaper controversy; a duel followed, and poor young Brown, who was only twenty-two, was fatally wounded and brought back to this house to die. Though most of the things in it might fit well in museums, it is still happily a home. So you will find furnishings from a number of countries, ages and styles combined to give it loveliness. The drawing room is a most charming example. It is a room whose proportions and detail are extremely pleasing. Even a certain casualness in the handwork of its long-dead builders adds to the effect. A magnificent Tabriz animal carpet, dating from the late fifteenth or early sixteenth century, now gives the room a golden glow. This is emphasized by window hangings carefully suited to the period of the house. These and its superb furnishings and pictures make this one of the most distinguished rooms in Charleston. Residence of Mr. and Mrs. Henry P. Staats ■ .. •'. ..'. - ::.:■• • :,..."■'.'.■ < ' ■' "■ ■■;?■ c ; . ■"' ■".. ■■■ . '/■ Courtesy Carolina Art Associ; Van Anda ■* 13 &
  • Image 01
    Carl Julien No. 2—GEORGE EVELEIGH'S HOUSE 39 Church Street c. 1738 Residence of Miss Mary O. Marshall Nestled into the "bend" in Church Street, behind a minute park-like spot, is a house that so closely resembles that, of Thomas Rose, just around the corner, that it was probably a building before its neighbor was finished. George Eveleigh, to whom it is credited, was then a wealthy Charlestonian whose agents bartered British goods to the Indians of the Southeast for the thousands of deer skins that were then shipped away to Europe. Like Rose's house, it has been little changed by the long years of its life. Here also the rooms are splendidly panelled with wide cypress boards brought in from Low Country swamps and fashioned by the tasteful handicraft of skilled carpenters. Here also Adam mantels have replaced the originals. -* 14 «■
  • Image 01
    For many years this house has been the home of Miss Mary O. Marshall. Much of her furniture was made in Charleston, and most of it has served many generations of her kindred. Their good taste makes the collection a history of local amenities. As in most old Charleston houses, the drawing room is on the second floor. Here it gains spaciousness by taking up the entire front of a comparatively small house. Tall panels give grace to its proportions. The fireplace has an Adam mantel, saved from the town house of Nathaniel Hey ward, once a celebrated and successful rice planter. Interest is centered here by arched doorways, one leading to a passage, the other framing a shell closet made for the display of fine china, now filled with Lowestoft, famille rose and Chelsea porcelain of the Marshall family's collecting. Carl Julien •» 15 «■
  • Image 01
    Carl Julien No. 3—MRS. ANNE BOONE'S HOUSE 47 East Bay Street c. 1740 Residence of Mrs. Sarah Bennett Sjnith This house seems to be one of the earliest of that architectural specialty called in Charleston a "single" house. One room thick and two rooms long, with a staircase in its middle, and set endwise to the street, the plan suited a small city lot and a climate that called for cross ventilation. At first, many "single" houses like this one had a door in the street front letting you into a room that was used for an office or shop. The side doors to the stair hall then served as a domestic entrance to the living quarters above stairs. Piazzas on the south and west sides completed this model. •* 16 4fr
  • Image 01
    The walls within which Mrs. Anne Boone built seem, from their sturdiness, to have long antedated the fire of 1740 when all this part of Charleston was burned out. They may well have survived from the house she inherited in 1733 from her husband, Joseph Boone. All the building within them, however, comes from after the fire. Both of the Boones link us with South Carolina's early history. He came from a large company of Puritans who, fleeing from persecutions, came out from England in the sixteen eighties. Anne Boone's father, Daniel Axtell, the son of a regicide, for bringing out this party was made one of the hereditary nobility of Carolina with the title of Landgrave. Boone led in many of the political battles of these "Dissenters" in the opening years of the eighteenth century. Anne Boone's home, which stands much as she left it when she died in 1749, is therefore doubly interesting. Mrs. Sarah Bennett Smith, who has lately come into possession and residence here, has furnished the old house with many fine things that, like the house, are both lovely to look at and object lessons in Charleston history. The Bennetts, from whom most of these furnishings come, were a notably versatile and active family. At the same time many of them were planters and millers, builders and architects, who made the brick and sawed the timbers they would turn into houses, and milled the rice they had grown. So you will find their Chippendale and Hepplewhite, their Empire and Victorian things, interspersed with furniture built with wood from their own mills and by their own cabinetmakers. These stand well too among their more sophisticated neighbors to give an air of comfort and originality to the general charm of the house. Carl Julien * 17 *
  • Image 01
    ..-. a'Ao;;L;—>v-;J' Courtesy Carolina Art Association yQ1 No. 4—COLONEL OTHNIEL BEALE'S HOUSE 101 East Bay Street c. 1740 The early history of this house is in keeping with its present charm. This is how it came to be built. When the fire of 1740 destroyed the neighboring part of town, Colonel Othniel Beale, "a gentleman of great ingeniousity and judgment", was busy putting Charleston's fortifications "in a condition to beat off any Enemy." Very shortly after he bought these lots on the Bay he built this house, and the one next south to it, under one roof. They were obviously designed for merchants on the then busy Bay, who would work below and live above stairs. Beale, who had not been born in New England for nothing, to encourage a better sort of tenant, made tiie rooms upstairs fine with woodwork that stood up to any of its time in the city for design and execution. 18 «■
  • Image 01
    Since this is one of the oldest of Charleston's houses, standing in one of the town's oldest neighborhoods, on land granted by the Lords Proprietors of Carolina, it is very fitting that the Legges should have placed large copies of the great seal of the founders of the colony to guard the entrance door to their home. This, and the charm cf the situation, induced the Legges to pioneer in rehabilitating the house when the neighborhood all about it had degenerated into the depths of slum- dom. Greatly daring, they reorganized their house in 1931 and went to live in it. Others followed their example until, house by house, one of Charleston's most delightful and colorful neighborhoods was saved. The Legges' restoration set a fine example. Two decayed stores gave room for garages; a brick-heaped yard became a garden; paint by the dozen coats was removed from the capital woodwork. Their family furniture, with old mahogany pieces that were made in Charleston or on the plantations of the Low Country, grace the restored rooms in the happiest manner. Residence of Mr. and Mrs. Lionel K. Legge Courtesy Carolina Art Association Van Anda -» 19 «*
  • Image 01
    Schzvartz No. 5--CAPERS-HUGER SMITH HOUSE 69 Church Street c. 1745 When this old house was still a shell-torn wreck from the bombardment of the Confederate War, it was purchased by Mrs. William Mason Smith. Her children and grandchildren have lived here ever since and most evidently loved and cherished it. And it is worthy of such affection and care. It was built probably before 1745 by Richard Capers, a South Carolinian of a Huguenot family. As it was, and is still, one of Charleston's earliest and handsomest examples of a large double house, it attracted well-to-do owners. Among these were Colonel Jacob Motte, Public Treasurer of the Province; Colonel James Parsons; and a colorful gentleman-planter, O'Brien Smith, who, among other things, was an early president of the Hibernian Society. Smith, at •* 20 ■«■
  • Image 01
    the beginning of the nineteenth century, probably gave the Georgian house handsome Adam mantels and threw together the two front rooms on the second floor to make the large parlor. Miss Alice Ravenel Huger Smith, the water-colorist, and long the most noted of Charleston's native artists, is now one of the owners in residence here. There are many of her paintings in its rooms. The Smiths' old and beautiful furniture fills these rooms amply and delightfully with a fine history of the family's good taste during many generations. Among their recent acquisitions is a chandelier of Murano glass over the piano in the drawing room which joins very charmingly with the furniture of two centuries that is below it. As at many Charleston homes, in the yard is a kitchen building, now used as a studio, whose arched windows follow the "Gothic" fashion illustrated by Horace Walpole in his renowned house at "Strawberry Hill," on the Thames. Residence of Miss Caroline R. Huger Smith and Miss Alice R. Huger Smith s §1 • l.kj * 21 *
  • Image 01
    No. 6—WILLIAM HENDRICKS' BUILDINGS 83 Church Street c. 1749 This unexpectedly unusual little house has been selected especially as an example of what has been done in remodellings in Charleston. Before being turned into a residence by its present owner, its front rooms were parts of an old kitchen building shared by two establishments on the street. These were all started together, as an investment, by a Christ Church planter named William Hendricks. Dying in 1749, he instructs his executors in his will to complete the two brick "tenements" he is building on Church Street and, "also the Back Buildings" thereto. So we can count their age very accurately. In the next couple of centuries the rooms on either side of the nice little narrow arched passage, that frames a view of the garden, were used as shops by a variety of tradesmen and artisans. It is appropriate that you can now buy in them fine gifts, and they still serve their original purpose. They do this all the more charmingly because, in all modern alterations, great care has been taken to preserve the quaint appearance of the group from the street. •* 22 ■¥-
  • Image 01
    Mrs. Brown has furnished the winter home she improvised from the two eighteenth century kitchens with an interesting collection of heirlooms. As she was born a Perry from Rhode Island, many of her things come from notable, sea-faring New England ancestors. So, among old Chinese porcelains and Korean chests, you may find a shield- back Hepplewhite chair used by the Constitutional Convention at Philadelphia in 1781; and over the cavernous arch of the ertstwhile kitchen fireplace, now set out with a proper compliment of iron cranes, brass kettles and copper stew pans, you will see, well-carved and gilded, a spreading Federal Eagle that came from Nantucket and doubtless before that ornamented the stern of some tall old ship. Not the least charming part of what has happened to William Hendricks' "investment" is the delightful little paved garden seen through the arch from Church Street. Residence of Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds D. Brown m. ■ * Carl Julien ■* 23 «■
  • Image 01
    Ben Heyward No. 7—BRANFORD-HORRY HOUSE 59 Meeting Street c. 1751 Shortly after they were married in 1751, William Branford, a well-to-do planter, and his wife, who had been Elizabeth Savage, built this fine double Georgian house on a lot she had inherited. They built so strongly that their house has stood for almost two hundred years, and so tastefully that, in an architectural survey made in Charleston in 1944, it was classified as a building of national importance. The portico, which now extends across the sidewalk of Meeting Street, was not added until the 1830's, but this home has been fortunate in that its alterations have only served to enhance its beauty. Elias Horry, a great-grandson of the builders, to whom the house came in 1820, was president of the South Carolina Rail Road when that very progressive little company could boast the longest line anywhere in the world. It was he who added the portico. The house passed through several hands and was bought in 1910 by Mrs. William Aiken Martin, the home of whose family it has been ever since. Mrs. Martin's granddaughter, Mrs. Percy Gamble Kammerer, its present owner, has made many careful improvements. During the past year a partition, cutting across the upstairs drawing rooms, has been removed and the excellent woodwork of William Branford's building freed of paint and allowed, for the first time since it was installed, to show its natural * 24 «•
  • Image 01
    beauty. The builder used in his carving the type of wood most easily worked- cypress for panels, tulip and mahogany for carvings. After being rubbed down these have formed a pattern of great interest. The house is interestingly furnished with many local pieces, and some fine English furniture. The owner's particular interest being in china, a very varied and fine collection is found displayed throughout the house. Residence of Mrs. Percy Gamble Kammer Carl Julien *£ 25
  • Image 01
    Courtesy Carolina Art Association Van Anda No. 8—THOMAS LEGARE'S HOUSE 90 Church Street c. 1760 Standing together on Church Street is a group of three very fine old Charleston "single" houses that beautifully illustrate both the conservatism and the charm of the city's taste in building. The most northerly of these seems to date from near 1740. The middle house is known to have been built about 1809. The other, judging by its most excellent woodwork, belongs to Pre-Revolutionary time and has been dated from 1759. It is here that the offices of the Historic Charleston Foundation are located. Though spanning a half century of building in Charleston, at first glance these three would seem contemporaries. Since the land where this last house stands was owned by Thomas Legare before 1752, it can easily be attributed to that son of one of the outstanding Huguenot emigrants to this colony. It is very fitting that it should lately have been charmingly and carefully restored by two Charlestonians of Huguenot name and lineage, William Lucas Simons and his late wife, Adele Petigru (Conner) Simons. Between the ownerships of old Thomas Legare and that of Simons, this house stands for a great deal that has been most gracious and praiseworthy in Charleston's history. Only two notable changes have been made between these far-removed owners. A look at the middle window at the front of the ground floor indicates an overwide flat arch still marking where Legare had the entrance to an office. And the detail of the •* 26 «*
  • Image 01
    handsome Regency piazza shows you that they were added by George MacAuley, who in 1816 bought and pulled down the next-door house to make a yard for his. The brick wall he made that bounds it in has the very characteristic arched construction of the best Charleston building. The house has much fine old furniture and some most interesting portraits. Hanging in the drawing room are two that are oeculiarly worth noticing. Above the hanger (the small curved sword) he wore with his fatigue uniforms, is a painting of Keating Simons, rice planter on Cooper River and once Brigade-Major to General Francis Marion, the famous South Carolina partisan. Near it is Sully's portrait of Adele Petigru Allston, sister to that most notable of South Carolina Unionists, James Louis Petigru, and wife to R. F. W. Allston, a great rice planter, and a liberal governor of ante-bellum times. Residence of Mr. W. Lucas Simons Courtesy Carolina Art Associatio Van Anda #27 «•
  • Image 01
    Carl Julien No. 9—PHILIP PORCHER'S HOUSE 19 Archdale Street c. 1765 In spite of such losses as massive brick steps to a central entrance on Archdale Street, Low Country and containing many pieces of furniture that came from them, was built in 1765 by Philip Porcher on this lot from lands bought by wife's family, the Mazycks, in 1711. In spite of such losses as massive brick steps to a central entrance on Archdale Street, his austere old four-square house with its beautiful high, brick basement and tall panelled rooms is very like those that such rich indigo planters were then building in the Parish of St. Stephen's or St. James' Santee. Philip Porcher turned Tory when the British overran the State. After the Revolution he was sentenced to be stripped of his entire estate. His good character saved him from this sentence, so that at last he was mulcted only of considerable moneys he had loaned South Carolina at the beginning of the war. •* 28 «•
  • Image 01
    u a K^^ioi5 de3th *e h°USe remained in his family until 1835. At that time the land had been 125 years and the house 70 years in the possession of one connection. Judging by the style of the alterations, the next owner, Augustus Theodore Gaillard added the present southern piazza with its neat square posts, carefully worked to a diminishing entatsis, destroyed the old entrance that led directly into the larger drawing room, and contrived the present one through the piazza. He also closed the archway into the stairhall with the present double doors and decorative fan-light; and cut in the folding doors between the large and small drawing rooms. 5 _ In 1929 this house was in sad disrepair. Major and Mrs. Robert Gibbes Thomas in making it their home, devoted a great deal of time and care to make it also a most thoughtful preservation. So doing, they made such happy discoveries as the uncovering of a long-buried brick walk precisely where they had planned one in the center of the yard. In 1949 Mrs. Thomas sold it to its present owners, Mr. and Mrs. Richard G White and they are carrying forward the restoration and improvements. Mrs White was Laura Porcher of Ophir Plantation, St. John's Parish, a close collateral of Philip Porcher, the builder of their home. To it she and Mr. White have brought, with a great deal of appreciative affection a lot tf fine old furniture that comes in a good part from the region, the kindred and the times of the man who built this house so long ago. Residence of Mr. and Mrs. Richard G. White Carl Julian # 29 «•
  • Image 01
    Carl Julien No. 10—COLONEL ISAAC MOTTE'S HOUSE 30 Meeting Street c. 1769 We are told by tradition that Isaac Motte, who would later be a fighting Colonel in the Revolution, bought this house unfinished in 1769. Since then, until it was purchased in 1947 by Mrs. Victor Morawetz, it was almost continuously a home for Motte descendants. Tradition also states that, during the Revolution, the Hessians had their headquarters here, handy to that of the British navy down the street and their army's over at Miles Brewton's house on King Street. The story goes on to say that, when the war was finished, a good many Hessians who wanted to stay on in a land they found full of new promise, hid themselves in the flues of this house and wherever else was convenient, until the transports they were due to sail on were safely down the harbor. ■* 30 &
  • Image 01
    Mrs. Morawetz has restored the house and added such things to it as were needed to make it a comfortable winter residence. In the work, the fine cypress that lines so many of the rooms has been carefully cleared of paint. Those who know timber must look at is in a mixture of envv and admiration, for hardly anywhere can such wood now be found. Much of the furniture used here came from Fenwick Hall, on Johns Island. There Mrs. Morawetz and her husband found one of the finest of the Low Country plantation houses neglected almost to the final point of destruction. They restored it as a labor of love, and made it again into a seat of great hospitality. Mrs. Morawetz has here done everything that could be contrived to keep another fine and historic house useful and beautiful for years to come. The house itself is now complete. The garden is in an interesting stage of development. The live oak to the rear of the lot is being made a focal point for plantings of azaleas and camellias. Residence of Mrs. Victor Morawetz Ben Heyward •* 31 «-
  • Image 01
    Courtesy Carolina Art Association Van Anda No. 11—YOUNG-JOHNSON HOUSE 35 Church Street c. 1770 Facing on Church Street, below George Eveleigh's older residence and in line with the house of Colonel Motte. is the house of Thomas Young. Young, an extensive builder, is supposed to have begun and sold Motte's house before starting on this smaller and somewhat more modest example of the same style and type of residence. The house got a firm place in Charleston's heart and history when, during the nineteenth century, it was the home of Dr. Joseph Johnson and his family. The doctor was so versatile that his profession played but a small part in a considerable career. A man of affairs and ability, he was an intendant of Charleston, president of the city's branch of the second Bank of the United States, and prominently a leader in the Union party that fought nullification. He is now best remembered as an historian for his very entertaining ■£ 32 &
  • Image 01
    and enlightening "Traditions of the American Revolution", written in his old age in this old house that had been a new one when the events he remembered were occurring. Today it is a bachelor home for the noted sculptor and collector, Wilmer Hoffman. Since buying it he has made many careful and tasteful restorations. But above all he has brought to it things of rare beauty, heirlooms mixed with his own discriminating collectings, and his own noticeably charming sculpture. Had not its owner so definitely marked this house as his home, it would pass at first glance for a small informal museum of a high order. Noticeable among many beautiful things are the paintings, one by Goya, another by Sir Thomas Lawrence, and two by Thomas Sully. That celebrated painter grew up in Charleston, did much of his best work here and has left many kindred in the community, so both of his portraits are of peculiar interest. Certain particular features add to this for one of them. The subject is a little boy, an uncle of the present owner, but Sully chose to paint him wearing the same charmingly dilapidated straw hat in which he had posed his son for the famous portrait now in Boston. This child in Charleston has also the same delicate, rosy little face, flooded with sunlight, done in the artist's best manner, that makes the Boston picture another of Sully's masterpieces. Residence of Mr. Wilmer Hoffman CouVtesy Carolina Art Asso Anda 33 «■
  • Image 01
    Carl Juhen No. 12—WILLIAM GIBBES' HOUSE 64 South Battery c. 1772 Residence of Mr. and Mrs. John Ashby Farrow This splendid mansion, built at the height of Charleston's Georgian period, was extensively redecorated again in the midst of her craze for Adam's style. The result is both extraordinarily distinguished and pleasing. The present owner's very fine furniture combines to make it one of the handsomest houses in the city. The house was started soon after 1772 by William Gibbes. The Ashley then came up to the opposite side of the street and Gibbes had also a very long wharf running out to its channel, where he conducted his business. The wharf had a most agreeable function. In hot weather a place of "genteel entertainment" used to be fitted up at its far end where Charlestonians might partake of both the cooling air and some light refreshments. After its owners died, the house became the home of Mrs. Sarah Moore Smith and long continued in her family. About 1800 the Smiths added the monumental marble stairways at the front, put a high cove to the parlor ceiling, and enriched much of the Georgian woodwork with Adam ornaments. •* 34 &
  • Image 01
    The Reverend John Grimke Drayton, who later owned the house, took his mother's surname to inherit Magnolia Plantation on the Ashley, and, when a "clergyman's throat" had driven him from the active ministry of the Episcopal Church, made there the world-famous garden. In the nineteen-thirties, Mrs. Washington A. Roebling, widow of the builder of the Brooklyn Bridge, bought the house and made extensive restorations and alterations to it. For her collection of oriental art and ceramics the southeast room on the principal floor was remodelled in the mode of Chinese Chippendale. The rooms at the rear were lengthened and the brick stairway added to connect the house with the fine formal garden. It is now the home of Mrs. Roebling's grandson, Mrs. Farrow. Mr. John Ashby Farrow, and :W-'i"; ■. ■■ K*- - Carl Julien •* 35 «•
  • Image 01
    Carl Julien No- 13—MRS. WILLIAM HEYWARD'S HOUSE 31 Legare Street c. 1789 This pleasant double house with its rather unusual entrance across a stone flagged lower piazza stands in the center of a never-divided lot from the "Grand Modell" of 1672. About 1789 it was built by the widow of William Hey ward, whose brother Thomas had signed the Declaration of Independence. Like her in-laws, Hannah Shu- brick Heyward was a successful rice planter. Her house shows this in "improvements" that were obviously made soon after its building. Among these is the "bow" to the south with its delicate palladian window in the large upstairs parlor. It remained her home until 1829. In this time it unhappily acquired a fairly well-authenticated ghost. Young James Heyward, son to the builder of this house, was riding out hunting on a plantation in the Euhaws. His hounds bayed a hog and he struck at them with the butt of his gun. It went off and shot him dead from the saddle. He appeared, according to the legend, that very hour to his sister in the room that is now the library. And he has been seen there since, always in the same attitude, his head in his hand, seated pensive at the table. •» 36 «■
  • Image 01
    On its builder's death, the house went to her daughter, Mrs. William Drayton, who, while she lived in Charleston, allowed the use of it to the celebrated French schoolmistress, Mile. Julie Datty. As a penniless refugee from the revolution in San Domingo, she found work as an expert laundress, but both her manner and her hands proclaimed her a lady. The Heywards were among those who then helped her establish a school where young ladies learned good French and better manners. Not long after she had her school here between 1830 and 1837, Mile. Datty entered a religious order and died at its head. In that last year the house was bought by Benjamin Dart Roper, to whose family it was a home until they, in turn, sold it in 1870 to the late Augustine T. Smythe. In their eighty years of ownership, the Smythes have made many additions and some alterations to Mrs. Heyward's building. Two of her handsomest rooms, however, remain much as she built them. The big parlor was lately restored to its old state. The library beneath it where the ghost can be seen seems to have assimilated the bookcases which now completely fill its walls. The house has the happy faculty of taking into its own pleasant atmosphere a variety of handsome furnishings. A palmetto, planted with much ceremony by the Ropers as an emblem of South Carolina on the day when the state seceded from the Union, now towers above the roof line of the southern bow. Residence of Mr. and Mrs. Augustine T. Smythe Carl Julien ■» 37 «•
  • Image 01
    Carl Julien No. 14—JAMES SHOOLBRED'S HOUSE 2 Ladson Street c. 1792 Residence of Mr. and Mrs. B. Owen Geer As well as can be ascertained, James Shoolbred, first British Consul at Charleston, built this house in the Georgian style, in 1792, at the time of his marriage to a very wealthy young lady, Mary, daughter and heiress of Thomas Middleton of Crowfield. The Shoolbreds were in occupancy of the place when the land reverted, for some unexplained reason, to the estate of the Honorable John Drayton, and the establishment was sold in 1796. In 1802 it was sold again for the handsome sum of 2085 guineas sterling to William Skirving, a prominent planter, who apparently enlarged the house by adding the octagonal bay to the west and "improved" the rooms so brought into prominence with Adam mantles. * 38 «•
  • Image 01
    Built when recovery from our Revolution was first getting under way, this house follows the fashion of work popular before that upheaval. Notable examples of this "lag" are the excellent mahogany stair rail, with its elaborately turned balusters, and the decorations of the old upstairs parlor now used as a bedroom. In this and the big room next to it, two handsomely carved four-posters give an impressive sense of the scale of living such houses once maintained. The more recent parlor on the first floor, with its bay and Adam decoration, makes an interesting contrast with the one it superceded. In the dining room is a handsome collection of silver, inherited and collected. This house stood on a narrow little court leading from Meeting Street. In 1893, the late George Edwards opened and widened the court and it became Ladson Street. Then he seems to have added the odd entrance porch and the decorations of the pediment over it. Carl Julien •* 39 «*
  • Image 01
    :,mgm;m Carl Julien No. 15—JOSEPH WINTHROP'S HOUSE 129 Tradd Street c. 1797 It is now hard to imagine that when Joseph Winthrop built his house its site was part of an open "green", its lot line backing on a salty creek, and the marshes of the Ashley were hardly a stones-throw from its back windows. Charleston, though much smaller than she is today, was a booming post-Revolutionary town whose trade induced many clever young New Englanders to try their luck in the offices and shops along her Bay. Winthrop, from Boston, was one of these who made good. Here he married an elder sister of the miniaturist, Charles Fraser, and soon built this house on land of hers to be a home for what came to be a large family. Counting out a dining room, and lower and upper reception rooms, or parlors, the tall old house had but three rooms left for sleeping quarters; but the names engraved •* 40 «•
  • Image 01
    with a diamond on one of the old windowpanes show that eleven children and their parents once lived here pleasantly together. The principal rooms in the front of the house stand much as when they were built. They are decorated with woodwork designed in a very simple but most charming transitional style, keeping something from the late Georgian work of pre-Revolutionary days. borrowing lightness from the Adam decoration that would overrun the town in a few years. An interesting detail of the dining room is a mantel gotten from the destroyed home of Henry Laurens, President of the Continental Congress, and one of the most able leaders of South Carolina in the Revolution. Behind the house a well designed block of brick service buildings, once a combination of a coach-house, stables and kitchens, has been turned into pleasant apartments. It is shown in the photograph. The furnishings here are both cosmopolitan and biographical. After a lifetime of service in the navy, the Pophams have brought home many things notable from China and Japan. The rest tell a family history with the heirlooms the Admiral has brought from New York and New Jersey and those that came to Mrs. Popham from Charleston and many outlying family plantations. Residence of Admiral and Mrs. William S. Popham f^,. h,v^; Carl Julien ^ 41 ^
  • Image 01
    Ben Heyward No. 16—THE HARTH-MIDDLETON HOUSE 68 South Battery c. 1797 The wide lawns and beautiful garden to the west of this house stand above old tidal marshes, over which logs were once floated to bustling lumber yards. The house dates from 1797, when this part of South Battery (then called South Bay) was a working part of Charleston's waterfront. John Harth, planter and lumber merchant, after the fashion of the time, built here both for the comfort of the air from off the Ashley and to be within a stone's throw of his businesses on Gibbes Street. In 1816, after its owner had removed to Orangeburg district, Thomas Legare, another planter, got the house for a city home. It thus served his family until after his death, when it was sold in 1843 to Henry A. Middleton. •£ 42 «•■
  • Image 01
    Henry Augustus Middleton, of Wreehaw and other fine rice plantations, was a man of wealth, taste and a large family. To accommodate his needs, the house was enlarged and, with the chief exception of Harth's handsome Adam drawing room overlooking the Ashley, redecorated in the classic post-Regency taste of the time. So altered, it remained a Middleton home until the beginning of the present century. For the third time it was sold in 1917. The purchasers were Colonel and Mrs. William J. Pettus, who greatly enlarged the garden over lands of the Boulevard fill and surrounded this with walls of old brick and gates and fences of fine old Charleston ironwork to make it one of the showplaces of the city. In 1948, after the death of Colonel Pettus, the house was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Batson L. Hewitt. Residence of Mr. and Mrs. Batson L. Hewitt ■» 43 «■
  • Image 01
    Carl JuUen No. 17—TIMOTHY FORD'S HOUSE 54 Meeting Street c. 1800 This house, with its gracious and lovely Adam decoration, marks the new departure into that style that came to Charleston at the beginning of the nineteenth century. Timothy Ford, its builder, who as a boy had fought and been wounded in the Revolutionary War, came here from his New Jersey home to practice law after graduating from Princeton. He succeeded both professionally and socially, rising to the top of the bar and marrying, in turn, into two prominent Charleston families. He built this house for his second wife on a street then coming into its own as a place of fine residences. His family lived here for over a century. Among them was Edmund Ravenel, M. D., a conchologist of note. Most unselfishly a scientist, he is said to have sacificed a rice crop growing on his Cooper River plantation by drawing off the reserve water that should have irrigated it in order to complete the famous Aggassiz's collection of local fish. The house, which has ever lent itself to hospitality, has one very interesting record. During the Revolution Ford's mother entertained Washington at their Morristown home. Nearly fifty years afterwards Ford entertained Lafayette in his home in Charleston. -* 44 «•
  • Image 01
    For a number of years Dr. and Mrs. Hooker have made it a winter residence. Like its builder they are northerners who are contributing much to a southern city. Their furniture is as handsome as can be seen in this country. As it will be shown by candlelight, the beauty of their old silver and mahogany, their lovely antiques, china, and glass, will be given a most appropriate and complimentary setting. Of particular interest are a step-top cherry highboy, thought to be the only one of its kind in America, and a small four poster field that has been used by the family for six generations. Residence of Dr. and Mrs. Ransom S. Hooker I &cflV- \ Carl Julien •* 45 «•
  • Image 01
    Carl Julien No. 18—CAPTAIN JOHN MORRISON'S HOUSE 125 Tradd Street c. 1807 This house, though dating from the high Adam period oif Charleston's architecture, escaped many of its earmarks and most of the detail that is sometimes so lavish. Its simple but well-proportioned, large comfortable rooms serve therefore all the more admirably as settings for some of the most beautiful furnishings in this city. These have been brought here by its present owner and his family, who besides have made in the ample grounds about the house one of the city's most charming informal gardens. They have thus repeated a little ancient Charleston history, for their camellias and flowering quinces, their roses and wistaria, now bloom where Robert Squibbs, author of a once popular "Gardeners Calendar", cultivated exotics for the pleasure of the generation of Charlestonians who flourished at the end of the eighteenth century. In the last decade the house was purchased and made a winter home by Mr. and Mrs. Frederic H. Allen. It now serves their son for a like purpose. The Aliens placed old ■» 46 «•
  • Image 01
    doorways, brought from the north, at the street and piazza entrances and had reproductions of old Charleston mantels made for the principal rooms. Little seems to be known of John Morrison, who built this house, except that he was a sailor, a ship's captain, and later a merchant. It is interesting to think that the wide rooms he first owned and dwelt in contain so many things from abroad. Among the fine foreign furniture and decorations are the sorts of things he may also have brought home, notably a superb collection of Chinese Lowestoft that includes many unusual pieces. Residence of Mr. Frederic Stevens Allen wmmm Carl Julien •» 47 «•
  • Image 01
    Courtesy Carolina Art Association Van Anda No. 19—ASHLEY HALL 172 Rutledge Avenue c. 1816 This house is probably Charleston's outstanding example of a suburban Regency Villa. Patrick Duncan, who had made a pleasant fortune as a tallow-chandler and then became a factor, turned his place of business into a garden for this residence which he built in 1816, as the neighborhood was becoming the fashionable suburb of Cannon- borough. The house was bought in 1836 by James Reid Pringle, leader of the Unionist party in the Nullification controversy, and Collector of Customs of Charleston District from 1819 to 1840. Following this, his house was owned and occupied by George A. Trenholm, a man of noted personal charm, one of Charleston's greatest merchants, head of John Fraser and Company, and of its Liverpool Branch, Trenholm and Company, and sometime Secretary of the Treasury of the Confederate States. Jr 4S «•
  • Image 01
    After the Trenholms ceased to own it, the house became the residence of Charles Otto Witte, a cotton merchant and banker, and the father of a family of beautiful daughters. Many of the fine exotics and trees about the garden come from his time. Since 1909, under the name of Ashley Hall, the house has been a school for girls. Ashley Hall is now the most direct link from this part women's colleges of the country. the south with the major The exterior of the house is substantially as it was built, though the basement of the heroic portico has been enclosed. The mantels and decorations of the principal rooms, and the fine stairway spiralling up and up are unchanged, but in the stairhall on the second floor and at other points it is interesting to note the heavy moulding and decorations of Victorian times, probably applied, when the house was Trenholm property. Courtesy Carolina Art Association Van Anda •» 49 «■
  • Image 01
    Carl Julien No. 20—WILLIAM MASON SMITH'S HOUSE 26 Meeting Street c. 1822 About 1820 Charleston was sufficiently recovered from the War of 1812 to start building in a grand manner with a new style. While England had been fighting France, she had done a little borrowing from the enemy's culture. One acquisition was a robustly ornamental style of architecture called Regency, carried over with some variation from that of the French Empire, and called so in honor of the Regency of the Prince of Wales during the insanity of George III. The style had just come in full strength to Charleston when, in 1822, William Mason Smith, planter son of South Carolina's first bishop, set about making himself a home on Meeting Street. This house of his is now attributed to William Jay, an Englishman, born and trained in the elegant city of Bath, who before he came to practice architecture
  • Image 01
    in Charleston in 1819, had designed a number of stately houses in the high taste of the Regency for the rich men of Savannah. Older, more conservative and experienced, Charleston bound such designers to planning won from long experience with its climate; so, though the detail of the fine facade, the lovely vaulted entrance hall and spiralling stairs, the spacious rooms are all Regency, their owner saw to it that the big rooms were banked along the south side and the double parlors placed on the second floor. By this time piazzas had become so desired that many an old house had them added to walls obviously never expected to receive them. However delightful functionally, piazzas were awkward things to handle in formal designing. To meet the problem, those here are masked toward the street with a masonry wall matching that of the narrow northern wing, complete with sashed windows. Since the arrangement added measurably to the privacy of these much lived upon features of a Charleston house, they must not be considered so entirely "theatrical" as a side view makes them appear. After having been the home of its builder's family for over a century, the house passed into other hands, and is now the residence of Mrs. John R. Bennett. Residence of Mrs. John R. Bennett Carl Julien ■» 51 «■
  • Image 01
    Carl Julien No. 21- MRS. JANE WIGHTMAN'S HOUSE 36 Chalmers Street c. 1836 The most recent of the houses on our tour through a century of Charleston's architecture, this residence was completed soon after 1835 in the early style of the Greek Revival. Almost on its 100th birthday, the house was purchased by Miss Josephine Pinckney, the Charleston author. By keeping the principal rooms intact and using the original woodwork as a model for her new decoration, Miss Pinckney has done a fine bit of preservation, retaining old characteristics while making a convenient modern residence. The delicate wrought iron balcony with its five pointed star was added from a house standing just around the corner on Meeting Street, but now destroyed to make place for a filling station. The garden gates (properly marked with her cipher), the entrance door, and the garden itself are the owners own contribution to the outer part of her establishment. ->r 52 «*
  • Image 01
    In an upper room that looks out over one of the last cobbled pavements in the city and past it to such Charleston heirlooms as Robert Mills' Fireproof Building, Gabriel Manigault's City Hall and the spire of St. Michael's, Miss Pinckney writes the novels that are now also a part of her region's heritage. The house is notable also for its handsome and often historic furniture and decorations. Over the mantel in the dining room is a portrait by James Earle of Miss Pinckney's great-grand-uncle, General Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, of Revolutionary and diplomatic fame. The window curtains are from the splendid East Bay home of his father, Chief Justice Pinckney, which burned in the great fire of 1861. Residence of Miss Josephine Pinckney Carl Julien ■» 53 «-
  • Image 01
    The Tours Committee Each member of this organization has shared in its many works and helped in its successes. None has done more than Plenry Philip Staats, who was for the first two years chairman of the Tours Committee and had a great part in organizing the policy of the Foundation. He gave generously of his time and thought to the setting up and conduct of the original Tours, and carried the great weight always connected with an infant enterprise. Still an active member of the Tours Committee, the Foundation looks always to his guidance and inspiration. This book should properly close with a tribute to Samuel Gaillard Stoney, historian and author, who has contributed a magnificent piece of work in collecting and preparing the histories of the houses and of Charleston published here. And of course to every home owner who has so generously lent his house to the Foundation for these tours the committee is deeply indebted, for it is only through them that the tours are possible. E. Gailt,ard DottjErer, Chairman, Tours Committee TOURS COMMITTEE: Mrs. Lionel K. Legge Miss Josephine Pinckney Mr. C. Lester Cannon Mr. E. Milby Burton Mr. Benjamin R. KtttredgE, Jr. Mr. Henry P. Staats Mr. Samuel G. Stoney Mr. C. Bissell Jenkins, Jr., ex officio Mrs. S. Henry Edmunds, Tours Director * 54 *•
  • Image 01
    ADVERTISING DIRECTORY ANTIQUE SHOPS HOTELS Geo. C. Birlant & Co. Page 58 Fort Sumter Hotel Page 64 The Century House Page 56 Francis Marion Hotel Page 62 Rainbow Row Page 59 Villa Margherita Hotel Page 58 Marguerite Sinkler Valk Page 65 The Hitching Post, SumVille Page 68 INNS Brewton Inn Page 59 ART SHOPS The Carolina Inn, SumVille Page 68 Lanneau's Art Store Page 62 Halcyon Inn, SumVille Squirrel Inn, SumVille Page 68 Page 68 ARTIST STUDIO Elizabeth O'Neill Verner Page 57 INTERIOR DECORATORS Marguerite Sinkler Valk Page 65 ASSOCIATIONS Ocean Highway Association Page 64 MOTOR COURTS Lord Ashley Page 65 BANKS The Pines Page 59 Citizens and Southern Page 65 Travelodge The Wayne Page 58 Page 66 BOOKS Book Basement Page 57 PHOTOGRAPHIC SUPPLIES Legerton & Co., Inc. Page 63 Lanneau's Art Store Norvell's Camera Exchange Page 62 Page 66 BRICKS Salisbury Brick Corp., SumVlle Page 69 POWER COMPANY South Carolina Power Co. Page 0 CAB COMPANIES Carolina Cab Company Page 56 PRINTERS CHILDREN'S SHOPS Walker, Evans & Cogswell Co. Page 60 Eighty-five Church Street Page 57 REAL ESTATE CLEANERS J. C. Ball & Son Page 66 Copleston's Page 66 D. Trowbridge Elliman C. T. Lowndes & Co. Page 59 Page 62 DEPARTMENT STORES L. A. Walker Agency, SumVille Page 68 Belk-Robinson Co. Condon's Page Page 66 65 RESTAURANTS Kerrison's Page 63 Brewton Inn Tea Room Page 59 Sears, Roebuck & Co. Page 63 Fort Sumter Dining Room Francis Marion Coffee Shop Page 64 Page 62 DRESS SHOPS Henry's Page 63 The Frock Shop Page 56 Old Ironsides Tea Room Page 59 ENGRAVERS The Snack Bar Villa Margherita Dining Room Page 56 Page 58 Charleston Engraving Co. Page 66 Cypress Gardens Tea Room Page 69 GARDENS Middleton Gardens Tea Room Page 69 Cypress Gardens Page 61 The Carolina Inn, SumVille Page 68 Magnolia Gardens Page 61 Halcyon Inn, SumVille Page 68 Middleton Gardens Page 61 Squirrel Inn, SumVille Page 68 Mulberry Plantation Page 57 SIGHTSEEING Pierates Cruze Page 67 Carolina Cab Company Page 56 GIFT SHOPS Gray Line Tours Page 62 Cypress Gardens Gift Shop Page 69 THEATRES The Golden Acorn Page 69 Moving Pictures Page 67 Legerton & Co., Inc. Page 63 Rainbow Row Page 59 TRAVEL BUREAUS The Hitching Post, Summerville Page 68 Bob Fox Travel Agency Page 59 GROCERS U-DRIVE-IT D. W. Olhandt & Sons Page 67 City-Rent-a-Car Service Page 65 * 55 «•
  • Image 01
    SIGHTSEEING TOURS SEDANS FOR HIRE TAXI CABS CAROLINA CAB CO. Dial 5757 ANTIQUES THE CENTURY HOUSE llVz CHURCH STREET CHARLESTON, S. C PERIOD FURNITURE .... OLD BRASS .... FINE PORCELAINS SILVER Uk%xAMcp GOWNS HATS SPORTSWEAR SUITS COATS ■ChaiCeaton. <f.e. Charleston Dishes Our Specialty Soups Sandwiches The Snack Bar LUNCHEON SERVED 11 - 2:30 Phone 2-2407 Mrs. R. C. Muixin 91 Church Street -» 56 «■
  • Image 01
    Pre-Revolutionary MULBERRY PLANTATION — 1714 — Mulberry is one of the few plantation houses in the Low Country open for public inspection. HOUSE AND GARDEN OPEN NOVEMBER TO MAY ON U. S. 52 — 26 MILES NORTH OF CHARLESTON ADMISSION $2.00 New and Used Books Bookhunting Located in a 200 Year Old Shop CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA CHILDREN'S APPAREL TOYS AND GIFTS BEAUTIFULLY WRAPPED dLlzairztk. CD czAfzlLL (l/EinEi i cStudio - 3$ 'ZJiadd cSttzzt (Ln.aiLei.ton. 7, ^3. C. HL>ia[ 2-4246 Rental Library 9:30 to 6 THE BOOK BASEMENT 9 COLLEGE STREET (OPPOSITE COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON) Hundreds of books on Charleston, the Lowcountry, and South Carolina. Send for list. If you want a book, any book, ask us about it. If it is out of print, we can probably find it. •» 57 *■
  • Image 01
    ANTIQUES and OBJECTS OF ART Largest Antique Shop in the Southeast Geo. C. Birlant & Co, 191 King Street Charleston, S. C. FAMOUS FOR SILVER TEA & COFFEE SETS TRAVELODGE NEW DeLUXE TOURIST COURT Route 17, Three Miles N. of Charleston Opposite The Fork Restaurant HELEN F. POTTER PHONE 2761 Manager Mt. Pleasant, S. C. Villa MaUjAeuta cM-atel s Overlooking White Point Gardens 1 On The Famous Battery Opesi the yeot. Round 'UnKoxelled Guidirte Mttictlu Ghanledttm in 9nce.ptkm. & <7laditio.n 58
  • Image 01
    Hatttbcut SUmi (Stft nnb Antique ^tjnp Unusual Gifts Antiques Mrs. Vee Q. Dyer, Prop. 90 E. BAY AT TRADD TEL: 5780 Contact Us Tor LOCAL SIGHTSEEIXG TOITKS, GUTDES, PRIVATE CARS. AND TT-D RIVE-IT FORT SUMTER HOTEL. Ruth W. McInnes Dial 24696 Robert H. Fox 'COMBINED SO YEARS OF PASSENGER TRAVEL EXPERIENCE" Hreuiton 3mt an& Annpx GUEST HOUSE 35 TRADD ST. — TEA ROOM 75 CHURCH ST. Telephone 2-3487 — Charleston, S. C. LUNCHEONS — TEAS — DINNERS A Southern inn of quiet charm and old time hospitality KATHRYN D. McNULTA D. Trowbridge Elliman I'LAXl'ATIOXS TOWS A-VD COUNTRY EEAL ESTATE IJIAT, 34IS1 SALES. KEJfTAI.S AXI) APPRAISALS Post Office Box 305 3 6 P.ROAD St. Charleston, S. C. MRS. RICHARD CORNELL RHETT (§lb 3rflttstLi£g ®ea BRnmn L WAFFLES BREAKFAST LUNCHEON — DINNER AFTERNOON TEA 72 CHURCH STREET PHONE 7780 Reservations THE PINES MODERN MOTOR COURT 5 MILES NORTH OF CHARLESTON, S. C. ON HIGHWAY 17 MR. and MRS. W. H. ZEIGLER, Mgr.-Owner Phone 4277 * 59 *■
  • Image 01
    Original "House of Wecco," 1821 When Love and Skill Work Together Expect a Masterpiece Successfully Serving the South Over 125 Years wMMebMMMMM OFFICE FURNITURE "-n 3 BROAD STREET supplies b equipment y CHARLESTON, S. C. ■» 60 *
  • Image 01
    Open Thanksgiving Day to May FAMOUS MR MAGNOLIA MIDDLETON CYPRESS Internationally known for gorgeous camellias, colorful azaleas and spectacular beauty during the winter and spring, the gardens are a fascinating and integral part of Historic Charleston. The gardens may be visited individually by separate admission tickets or you may purchase a combination ticket for the day or season at a substantial saving. Combination tickets are on sale at entrance to each garden. GARDENS OPEN DAILY 8:00 A. M. 6:00 P. M. 51
  • Image 01
    The Rran&sjM&sion Motel CHARLESTON. SOUTH CAROLINA "Our Beautiful Dining Room Specializing in old Charleston dishes" MULLALLY, RIVERS & LOWNDES operating C. T. LOWNDES & COMPANY (Est. 1850) Town and Country Real Estate — Plantations CHARLES L. MULLALLY — HASE1.L E. EIVEES — HENRY H. LOWNDES SEE CHARLESTON COMPLETELY By: Bus Limousine By: Yacht Airplane GRAY LINE TOURS Francis Marion Hotel Phone 2-4444 LANNEAU'S ART STORE, INC. CHARLESTON. S. C. Picture Framing - - Kodak Finishing Artist and Photographic Supplies — Cards For All Occasions 238 KING STREET PHONE 5425 •* 62 «■
  • Image 01
    CHARLESTON SOUTH CAROLINA 50 - 52 - 54 MARKET STREET Open 12 Noon to Midnight Seven Days Charleston's Oldest Department Store Keimsn 260 King St. Est. 1830 LEGERTON & COMPANY, INC. Established 1888 Displaying a large selection of Books on Charleston and South Carolina 263 KING STREET SEARS, ROEBUCK & COMPANY 374 KING STREET ■* 63 *
  • Image 01
    FORT SUMTER HOTEL CHARLESTON, S. C. CHARLESTON'S ONLY WATERFRONT HOTEL • Open all year, this beautiful resort hotel offers every comfort and service—and delicious meals. ON THE FAMOUS BATTERY Jko. S. Cator President and Manager Foot of King Street CHARLESTON, S. C. NORTH o r SOUTH! Fastest and Safest Free 1950 Map At member hotels, travel bureaus, service stations, etc., or direct from the Association Headquarters. OCEAN HI WAY ASSOCIATION P. O. BOX 1552 DEPT. 50 WILMINGTON, DELAWARE * 64 «■
  • Image 01
    f: 9 house of better vales shopping center for coastal Carolina • one of the south's great department stores both corners—king street at warren LORD ASHLEY 2^2 miles South of City on U. S. 17 Charleston's Newest and Most Modern Motor Court Air Conditioned Central Heat Running Ice Water marguerite sinkler valk, a. i. a. Invites you to visit her Antique Shop attractively located in an 18th Century Charleston home at )// s alle seven sloll s alley (OFF CHURCH ST. NEAR WATER) CITIZENS AID SOUTHER! NATIONAL BANK OF SOUTH CAROLINA 46 BROAD ST. COMPLETE BANKING SERVICE -:- 204 KING ST. 544 KING ST. ST. ANDREWS PARISH * 65 *
  • Image 01
    REAL ESTATE INSURANCE J. C. BALL & SON 110 CHURCH STREET Charleston, South Carolina PLANTATIONS SUBURBAN PROPERTY CHARLESTON HOUSES. HISTORIC AND MODERN Wayne Motor Court & Coffee Shop iVz MILES SOUTH ON U. S. 17 CHARLESTON. S. C. AAA & UMC APPROVED PHONE 9162 EASTMAN — ANSCO — LEICA — BELL & HOWELL NORVELL'S CAMERA EXCHANGE Francis Marion Hotel Phone 2-2113 ONE DAY DEVELOPING SERVICE — ON COLOR FILM COPLESTON'S LAUNDRY — CLEANERS 537 Meeting St. Belk-Robinson Co, "7&6eve tyact "fVCafy S&ofi "Wittl @o*t£ide*tce" C^har/estori (^ng>ra\)in^ (^ompam/ /Mists . jPn^ira\>ers 19 "ExchaiacSe Street, Charleston. S.<S. COMMERCIAL ART ZINC ETCHINGS NEWSPAPER PLATES COPPER HALFTONES COLOR PLATES •* 66 ***•
  • Image 01
    PIRATES CRUZE Mount Pleasant, South Carolina GARDENS BY THE SEA Famous Gold Medal Camellias Over 300 varieties See the Spires of Charleston against the sunset Also Historic Fort Sumter and the Harbor FROM THE AMALFI PERGOLA it OPEN ALL YEAR ADMISSION CHARGED 7 Miles from Charleston — 1 Mile from Highway No. 17-North D. W. OHLANDT & SONS. 42 Meeting Street GROCERS CHARLESTON SPECIALTIES Benne Wafers Pickled Shrimps Palmetto Pickles Charleston's Leading Theatres GLORIA — ARCADE — RIVIERA CAMEO — GARDEN — AMERICAN •* 67 *
  • Image 01
    Summerville S. C. 25 MILES FROM CHARLESTON ON HIGHWAYS 64, 61 AND 78 The Carolina Inn AN INN of UNUSUAL CHARM AND DISTINCTION Thirty-eighth Consecutive Year Under MOORE OWNER-SHIP MANAGEMENT HALCYON INN SUMMERVILLE, S. C, ON ROUTE 64 Open November 1 to May 1 Recommended by Duncan Hines FRANCES R. WEED CAROLINE W. PARMENTER THE HITCHING POST Middleton-Magnolia Garden Road GIFTS —ANTIQUES MRS. DUDLEY RIGGS Dial 5676 SQUIRREL INN SUMMERVILLE, SOUTH CAROLINA BREAKFAST — LUNCHEON — DINNER EVERY ROOM WITH PRIVATE BATH EUGENE SUTTER—Owner-Manager L. A. WALKER AGENCY Real Estate and Insurance SUMMERVILLE, SOUTH CAROLINA -* 68 *■
  • Image 01
    Cypress IS ill Gardens TEA ROOM Hot Luncheon 12-3 p. m. Afternoon Tea 3-6 p. m. GIFT SHOP Novelties, Souvenirs, Garden Pictures No Garden Ticket Necessary for Tea Room or Gift Shop MIDDLETON GARDENS TEA ROOM LUNCHEON AND TEA 12—6:00 NO GARDEN TICKET REQUIRED TO ENTER TEA ROOM GIFTS OF DISTINCTION CHARLESTON BOOKS AND PRINTS THE GOLD EH ACORN SAVANNAH HIGHWAY—JUST ACROSS THE ASHLEY THE NEW BRICK With The Mellow Tone That Comes Only With Age DORCHESTER ROUGH-TEXTURE FACE BRICK SALISBURY BRICK CORP. SUMMERVILLE, S. C. Build ALL THE WAY With Summerville Brick •ALL BROWN *MIXED TONES ^DORCHESTER ROUGH-TEXTURE -» 69 *
Title:
Charleston's Historic Houses, 1950: Third Annual Tours Sponsored by Historic Charleston Foundation
Date:
1950
Description:
Descriptions and photographs of the historic houses on tour in 1950. Published by Historic Charleston Foundation, 1950; printed by Walker, Evans & Cogswell. Sixty-nine pages. (Note: All a/k/a references pertain to the name of the house as listed in Jonathan Poston's book The Buildings of Charleston: A Guide to the City's Architecture; USC Press, 1997.)
Collection:
Historic Charleston Foundation's Tours of Homes
Contributing Institution:
Margaretta Childs Archives at Historic Charleston Foundation
Media Type:
Pamphlets
Personal or Corporate Subject:
Historic Charleston Foundation -- Tours
Topical Subject:
Architecture, Domestic -- South Carolina -- Charleston -- Guidebooks, Historic buildings -- South Carolina -- Charleston, Dwellings -- South Carolina -- Charleston
Geographic Subject:
Charleston (S.C.) -- Buildings, structures, etc., Low Country
Shelving Locator:
HCF.FOHG.001
S.C. County:
Charleston County (S.C.)
Material Type:
image/jpeg
Digitization Specifications:
301 ppi, 24-bit depth color, HP Scanjet 4890. Archival Masters are tiffs.
Copyright Status Statement:
Digital image copyright 2010, Historic Charleston Foundation. All rights reserved. For more information contact Margaretta Childs Archives at HCF, P.O. Box 1120, Charleston, SC 29402.