Arsenal

  • Image 01
Title:
Arsenal
Description:
Handwritten on reverse: 'Arsenal, Charleston, So. Ca.' The Arsenal was constructed in 1841. Seized by the Confederates in December 1860, it was held by them throughout the war until 1865. In 1866, the federal government used the site as a Federal Military Reservation, but in 1879 the Arsenal was closed. This image was likely taken as part of the photographic survey done in 1865 but could have been taken at any time until 1879. This is a stereograph image which measures 3 1/2" X 7".
Collection:
Charleston Museum Civil War Photographs
Contributing Institution:
The Charleston Museum Archives
Media Type:
Images
Topical Subject:
Arsenals, Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877)
Geographic Subject:
Low Country, Charleston (S.C.)
Shelving Locator:
MK 8137
S.C. County:
Charleston County (S.C.)
Internet Media Type:
image/jpeg
Digitization Specifications:
800 ppi, 24-bit depth, color, Epson Expression 10000XL, Archival Masters are tiffs.
Copyright Status Statement:
Digital image copyright 2011, The Charleston Museum Archives. All rights reserved. For more information contact The Charleston Museum, 360 Meeting Street, Charleston, SC 29403.