- A chintz applique measuring 109" by 111.5". It has a Tree-of-Life design and uses multiple fabrics. The design includes flowers, leaves and birds on a main tree with butterflies and floral sprigs encircling the tree. At the base of the tree is mound of flowers with various birds including peacocks. The floral border is wide and printed with green leaves, brown flowers and tiny, yellow flowers. The whole quilt is multicolored on a white background. The backing is plain muslin in four vertical strips with woven binding tape all around. The center of the quilt has double line diagonals forming diamonds with a floral motif in the center. It isqQuilted around the tree motifs. And the border is quilted in crossed diagonal lines. On the reverse, in dark blue cross-stitch, at top center is stitched: "Burges / Dec 1833." The quilt was possibly made in Charleston by Margaret Eliza Darley Seyle Burges, the great, great-grandmother of the donor. Margaret and James Smith Burges were the parents of Edward Burges. Edward married Eveline Olivia Petsch. Their son was Julius Eugene Burges, Sr., who married Anna Willissa Detwiler. Their son was Julius Eugene Burges, Jr., the donor's father. The quilt was given in 2010, by Gene Burges.
- A Chintz Applique,measuring 112" by 117", from the early to mid-19th century. It has a white background with red, blue, green and brown chintz pieces in a tree-of-life design. Border is a 12" strip of chintz with floral design on background of tiny black dots. There is no batting or backing and it is not hemmed. There are at least 17 different fabrics used in the center panel. The center piece is dated from an earlier period - approximatley 15 to 20 years earlier - with the border fabric being of a later date, possibly 1850. The palm tree and bird group in the lower left corner are circa 1815. The design is influenced by Indian palampores. The quilt was made, in Charleston, by Maria Boyd Schulz, the daughter of John Christopher Schulz and Susan Flud Cantey. Maria's sister, Martha Anne (1819-1852) married Dr. Thomas L. Burden, a relative of the donor's husband. The quilt was donated by Mrs. H. S. Burden in 1970.