Organized in Charleston, South Carolina as the South-Carolina Society for Promoting and Improving Agricultural, and Other Rural Concerns, the society was incorporated in 1795 as the Agricultural Society of South Carolina. Photographs in this collection depict meetings and officers of the Agricultural Society, exhibits, farm scenes, farmers' markets, livestock, and other related subjects.
South Carolina Historical Society
Charles Fraser (1782-1860) was a renowned Charleston artist and attorney recognized for his miniatures and landscape paintings. Highlights of this sketchbook include some of Charles Fraser's earliest Lowcountry landscape scenes, and several theatrical views, some of which may be the work of his brother, Alexander.
The Voices of the Santee Delta project's primary purpose will be to record an oral history of this significant biological and historic area. The Santee Delta was once the location of an important branch of the Rice Kingdom, and a slave labor force whose descendants have provided a lasting Gullah culture. The voices are diverse, in ethnicity and occupations, and include biologists, plantation owners, guides, plantation managers, cooks, long time residents, and others. The oral histories (recordings and transcriptions) will reside in a collection at the South Carolina Historical Society.
Selections from the McLeod Family Papers include photographs and a “Crop Memoranda" book for McLeod Plantation on James Island in South Carolina. The visual images are comprised of various structures located on the property as well as the residents of McLeod Plantation. The “Crop Memoranda” book lists names and accounts of workers (1910-1921), notes on crops (1926-1944), and family accounts (1927-1965).
Hutson Lee, 1834-1899, was a Charlestonian and quartermaster in the Confederate army. Within his manuscript collection are 15 slave auction broadsides advertising sales of slaves in Charleston, South Carolina in 1859 and 1860. Each broadside contains information about the time and location of the sale, with many advertised as taking place at Ryan’s Mart on Chalmers Street in Charleston. The name and age of each enslaved person is listed, as well as characteristics or skills of some individuals. For example, there are some individuals listed as drivers, carpenters, boatmen, midwives, among many other descriptions. On each broadside, the name of the individual or firm in charge of the sale is given, and some also list the name of the former slaveholder. Often, the total number of slaves being offered for sale is given on the broadside, ranging anywhere from 25 to 235 slaves for each sale advertised.
Journal kept by Alexander Glennie concerning his activities as rector of All Saints (Episcopal) Church, Waccamaw, South Carolina. Includes a list of plantation chapels (Woodbourne, Laurel Hill, Brookgreen, Oaks, Litchfield, Waverly, Midway, True Blue, Hagley, Fairfield, Sandy Knoll, Cedar Grove, and Mount Arena); the constitution (1832) and minutes (1832-1838) of All Saints Sunday School (an auxiliary of the Diocesan Sunday School Society of South Carolina); and a circular. The bulk of Glennie's journal contains the names of churches and plantations visited and the names of people (both free and enslaved) for whom he performed marriage, baptism, funeral, and other religious ceremonies/sacrament. Occasional summaries of the number of communicants served and financial support received are also included. A printed circular (1831), "Constitution of the Diocesan Sunday Society School of South-Carolina," is attached to the inside front over of the volume.
The South Carolina Historical Society's South Carolinians at Work collection is comprised of correspondence and other records, constitutions, and by-laws of organizations in Charleston, South Carolina. The organizations include Charleston Iron Works, American Federation of Musicians Local 502, Mechanics' Union No. 1, Charleston Fire Department, and the Bricklayers, Masons and Plasterers International Union of America. Also included in the collection are several documents of apprenticeship indenture, receipts, and advertisements.
The Anita Pollitzer Family Papers is comprised of documents and photographs gathered by multiple members of the Pollitzer family. The collection contains correspondence, funeral programs, an issue of The Jewish Women Quarterly, Gustave M. Pollitzer's prayer book in the original Yiddish, marriage and birth certificates, tickets to events, and family photographs.
Interviews with Charlestonians of various backgrounds, recorded in the 1970s and 1980s. The subjects talk about growing up in Charleston and cover such topics as preservation, race relations, the Exposition of 1901, and Charleston's involvement in World War I and World War II.
This scrapbook by William Henry Johnson is part of a collection three, which document the history of a large array of Lowcountry plantations and places of interest. In this book - compiled, 1928-1932 - Johnson focuses on the Cooper River region and in the Parishes of St Stephen, St James Goose Creek, St James Santee and St. John Berkeley. The scrapbook draws together published historical research, maps, contemporary anecdotes and includes photographs Johnson took while visiting each location.
Subjects covered in this scrapbook include locations in Berkeley County, St. Johns (Berkeley) Parish, Goose Creek, and along the Cooper River. Other sites and subjects include Belmont, Black Oak Church, Bluford, Casada, Cedar Grove, Cedar Spring, Comingtee, a Prioleau family burial ground, Crowfield, Dean Hall Plantation, Dockon Plantation, Eutaw, Eutaw Springs, Exeter, Fairspring, Fort Dorchester, Four Hole Swamp, Gippy, Gravel Hill, the gravestone of Susan Bee, Hanover Plantation, Indian Fields Campground, Ingleside, Indianfield, Liberty Hall Club, Lewisfield, Magnolia Cemetery, monument of Col. Hezekiah Maham, grave of Major Majoribanks, Medway Plantation, Mepkin, a milestone by the Cooper River, Moorfield, Mount Pleasant Plantation, Mulberry Castle, North Hampton, Numertia, The Oaks Plantation, Ophir, Otranto Hunting Club, Parnassus, Pimlico, Pinegrove, Pond Bluff, Pooshee Plantation, John Poppenheim's plantation, Quarter house, Red Bank Hunting Club, an Episcopal church in Pineville, Rice Hope Plantation, The Rocks, St. James Goose Creek church, St. Johns Berkeley rectory site, St. Johns AME Church, a St. Julien family house, a Santee Canal lock, "Sarrazin house," a shanty, Somerset Plantation, Somerton Plantation, "Francis Marion spring," Springfield, Stoney Landing, Strawberry Chapel, Ten Mile Hill, Thoroughgood, Wadboo Barony, Wadboo bridge, Walnut Grove, Walworth, Wampee, Wampoolah, Wappetaw, Washington Plantation, the Whaley place, White Hall, Wiskinboo, Woodlawn, and Yeamans Hall.
- Agricultural Society of South Carolina Visual Materials
- George W. Williams Photograph Collection
- Charles Fraser Sketchbook, 1793-1796
- Civil War and Reconstruction Era Stereoscope Photographs of the Port Royal Region
- L.A. Hall Collection of Mid-19th Century Stereoscopic Images
- William ("Bill") Saunders Papers, circa 1950 - 2004
- Edisto Island Historic Preservation Society Oral Histories
- Millicent E. Brown Papers, 1949 - 2003
- Anna D. Kelly Papers, 1930s - 1999
- Book Lovers' Club, 1927 - 1969
News & Events
- Announcing the Completion of our NHPRC Grant!
- The "Eugene C. Hunt Papers, 1834 - 1994" Are Now Available for Research Use on the LCDL!
- The "Charleston Branch of the NAACP Papers" are Live on the LCDL!
- New! LDHI Publishes Online Exhibition about Civil Rights Leader Septima P. Clark
- Survey! Help Us Improve LCDL
- Accepting Applications for Temporary Staff Position at LCDL!
- Announcing a New Collection: "J. Arthur Brown Papers, 1937-1988"
- Additions to the “Cleveland L. Sellers, Jr. Papers, 1934-2003" Collection Now Available on the LCDL!