A ten-set collection containing 37 items of measured drawings, ink sketches, pencil drawings and watercolors representing several generations of the Middleton family of South Carolina from 1803-1867. Sets 1-6 contain measured architectural drawings attributed to John Izard Middleton with dates and watermarks ranging from 1808-1813. Five country houses and one greenhouse are depicted in these 25 drawings. All buildings are in the Adamesque style and none of the designs is known to have been executed. Sets 1-3 are initialed "J.I.M" and are dated 1811 and 1813. Set 4 is neither initialed nor dated, but has the same format (ink with watercolor) and is on the same paper as some of the drawings in sets 1-3 with watermarks 1808-1809. Sets 5-6 are in pencil on paper by different manufacturers, though some are also watermarked 1809. All 6 sets appear to be by the same architect and to have notations in the same handwriting. Set 7 contains an elevation for flanking wings by "Thos. Walker Feby. 4th 1809." Set 8 consists of 4 pencil sketches of a design to enlarge Middleton Place. Set 9 contains miscellaneous drawings. Set 10 contains maps "drawn by Henry Middleton Jun[io]r. 1867."
- Weston Family Papers, 1764-1855
- Erastus W. Everson Papers, 1861-1893
- Sullivan’s Island Oral History Collection
- Aquí Estamos (Here We Are) Digital Collection
- Historic Charleston Foundation Oral History Project
- Pinehurst Tea Plantation Visual Materials
- Art Work of Charleston: Published in Twelve Parts
- An Architectural Guide to Charleston, South Carolina
- Warren Hubert Moïse Letters, 1933-1939
- Agricultural Society of South Carolina Visual Materials
News & Events
- Announcing the Completion of our NHPRC Grant!
- The "Eugene C. Hunt Papers, 1834 - 1994" Are Now Available for Research Use on the LCDL!
- The "Charleston Branch of the NAACP Papers" are Live on the LCDL!
- New! LDHI Publishes Online Exhibition about Civil Rights Leader Septima P. Clark
- Survey! Help Us Improve LCDL
- Accepting Applications for Temporary Staff Position at LCDL!
- Announcing a New Collection: "J. Arthur Brown Papers, 1937-1988"
- Additions to the “Cleveland L. Sellers, Jr. Papers, 1934-2003" Collection Now Available on the LCDL!