These Papers consist of correspondence, writings, military documents, slave lists, accounts, plats, and other items relating to the Drayton family of Drayton Hall near Charleston, South Carolina. They include the papers of James Shoolbred Drayton (1820-1867) and Dr. John Drayton (1831-1912) and date 1837-1869. Included is a letter about a "slight altercation between Col. Tarleton and my grandfather Dr. Charles Drayton" at Drayton Hall during the American Revolution (undated); inventories of slaves and their blankets at Drayton Hall (1860); tax receipts for Thomas Henry Middleton Drayton's property in Brazoria County, Texas (1861-1862); details of John Drayton's service to the Confederate Army as physician to slaves and his post-War lease of Drayton Hall, first to northerners Moulton Emery and John Prentice, and then to phosphate miner, F.H. Trenholm (1868-1869). Writings include poems by James Shoolbred Drayton ("Hall") calling southerners to raise arms against the Union (1861). An account book displays Mary Middleton Shoolbred Drayton's transactions with Legare & Colcock, and her payments of household expenses, taxes, and other expenditures (1852-1856). Plats are by James Shoolbred Drayton but the estates are not named (undated).
- Charleston Branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People Papers, 1920-1995
- City Year Books for Charleston, South Carolina, 1880-1951
- J. Arthur Brown Papers, 1937 - 1988
- The Thomas Haythe Rare Book Collection
- 1967 King Street Survey Collection
- Mulberry Castle: Land of My Dreams
- Laura Bragg Papers
- Bernice Robinson Papers, 1920-1989
- Voices of the Santee Delta Oral History Collection
- Ansonborough Rehabilitation Project
News & Events
- The "Charleston Branch of the NAACP Papers" are Live on the LCDL!
- New! LDHI Publishes Online Exhibition about Civil Rights Leader Septima P. Clark
- Survey! Help Us Improve LCDL
- Accepting Applications for Temporary Staff Position at LCDL!
- Announcing a New Collection: "J. Arthur Brown Papers, 1937-1988"
- Additions to the “Cleveland L. Sellers, Jr. Papers, 1934-2003" Collection Now Available on the LCDL!
- The “Esau Jenkins Papers, 1963-2003” Collection Has Been Updated!
- The “Bernice Robinson Papers, 1920-1989” Are Available on the LCDL!