Objects

Millicent E. Brown Papers, 1949 - 2003

Millicent E. Brown Papers, 1949 - 2003
Millicent Ellison Brown (b. 1948) is an educator and civil rights activist. Born in Charleston to MaeDe and J. Arthur Brown, local and state president of NAACP (1955-1965), Brown, in 1963, replaced her older sister Minerva as the primary plaintiff in a NAACP-sponsored lawsuit (Millicent Brown vs. Charleston County School District #20).
 
The collection consists of personal and professional correspondence, essays, materials regarding organization including the Avery Research Center, Charleston Branch of the NAACP, and National Coalition of Blacks for Reparations in America, Rivers High School materials, and photographs.
 
This collection was digitized and made freely available online through the generous support of the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
 

NHPRC Logo

Contributing Institution: 

Anna D. Kelly Papers, 1930s - 1999

Anna D. Kelly Papers, 1930s - 1999
Anna D. Kelly (1913-2007) is known for her efforts to connect Lowcountry African Americans with the Highlander Folk School, most notably recruiting Septima Clark. A graduate of the Avery Normal Institute in Charleston, South Carolina, Kelly was a charter member of the Avery Institute of African American History and Culture. She then played a crucial role in establishment of the Avery Research Center.
 
The collection includes photographs, correspondence and supporting documents regarding Kelly's civic invovlement—including work with the Charleston County Library, the South Carolina Commission on Aging, YWCA, and social work—and documents and photographs regarding the Avery Institute and Avery High School.
 
This collection was digitized and made freely available online through the generous support of the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
 

NHPRC Logo

Contributing Institution: 

YWCA of Greater Charleston, Inc., Records, 1906 - 2007

YWCA of Greater Charleston, Inc., Records, 1906 - 2007
The Young Women’s Christian Association of Greater Charleston, which originated in 1907, has served communities in Charleston and the Lowcountry area of South Carolina for over a century. Currently, the YWCA of Greater Charleston, Inc., strives to provide programs and services for all people and holds a mission to eliminate racism and to empower women.
 
The collection documents the founding and history of the Young Women’s Christian Association (YWCA) in Charleston, South Carolina as well as the administrative and operational functions of Charleston’s YWCA for over a century. The collection contains by-laws and constitutions, financial documents, meeting minutes, agendas, board correspondence, social event materials, photographs, scrapbooks, and programs.
 
This collection was digitized and made freely available online through the generous support of the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
 

NHPRC Logo

Contributing Institution: 

Charleston Museum Quilt Collection

Charleston Museum Quilt Collection

One of the largest in the southeast, The Charleston Museum’s Quilt Collection consists of a wonderful variety of chintz appliqué, pieced, mosaic, whitework and traditional appliqué quilts, quilt fragments and items intended to be finished as quilts as well as crazy quilts and embroidered coverlets. This digital collection showcases a fraction of the textiles available in the Charleston Museum's physical collections.

Contributing Institution: 
Collection Media Types: 

Hunley Artifact Collection: Personal Artifacts

Hunley Artifact Collection - Personal Artifacts

Conservation is extremely important in the field of underwater archaeology. The uncontrolled exposure to air of any material recovered from a marine environment can lead to irreversible damage and the disastrous loss of archaeological data.

Organic materials such as leather, wood, textile, rope and plant remains, if allowed to dry without conservation treatment, they can crumble and collapsed in a matter of hours. Iron and other metals on the other hand, can last for a few days or months depending on the size and density of the artifact. But they will eventually deteriorate, corrode and fall apart. These reactions are due to a sudden break in the equilibrium reached by the artifact after years of submersion in water (as they are excavated). The main goals of conservation, therefore, are to provide archaeologists and conservators with the proper tools and techniques to handle, store, stabilize, and study the recovered artifacts.

This collection is comprised of a selection of artifacts excavated from the submarine and that were used by the crew members. Most of these artifacts were found nearby the crew members or in crew member's pockets. The commander of the submarine, Lt. George Dixon, carried a 20 dollar engraved gold coin in his pocket as well as a pair of binoculars, a gold pocket watch, and a pocket knife; and as part of his garments, silver suspenders and vest buckles. The rest of the crew members carried with them pocket knives, a wallet, pipes, matches, toothpicks, pencils and a variety of objects for everyday use. Also included are clothing accessories such as buttons and shoes as well as cork canteen stoppers.  

Contributing Institution: 
Collection Media Types: 

William McCarthy and Martin Barbeau Collection

William McCarthy and Martin Barbeau Collection

The William McCarthy and Martin Barbeau Collection is comprised of artifacts from various origin. The objects are primarily decorative currency, such as bracelets and anklets. Places of origin include Democratic Republic of the Congo (formerly Zaire), Nigeria, Togo, Zambia, Niger, Cote d'Ivoire, Ethiopia, and Ghana.

Contributing Institution: 
Collection Media Types: 

McLeod Plantation Cemetery Collection

McLeod Plantation Cemetery Collection

The McLeod Plantation Cemetery Collection contains beads found in 1996 during the construction of a fire station in James Island, South Carolina. Construction of the fire station, which was to be located between Folly Road, Country Club Drive, and Wappoo Creek, was aborted when workers unearthed unmarked graves. The human bones found were believed to be the remains of slaves that had once lived on McLeod Plantation.

Contributing Institution: 
Collection Media Types: 

Marie Metz Collection

Marie Metz Collection

The Marie Metz Collection is comprised of three objects; a mantel clock, a xylophone, and a clock topper. The mantel clock has metal legs with markings that indicate that the clock was made in New York. The square xylophone has five plates, each producing a different tone. The clock topper is an ornamental figurine that is displayed atop a mantel or shelf clock. The female figure is seated beside a quiver of arrows and holds a box of jewels. Markings indicate the ornament was made by the Art Metal Works Company in New York, New York. Art Metal Works was established in New York City in 1886 and moved to Newark, New Jersey in 1887.

Contributing Institution: 
Collection Media Types: 

Pages

Subscribe to Objects