In 1967, Historic Charleston Foundation was deeply concerned about the conditions of the downtown area, particularly the commercial blocks of King Street. Because the Foundation believed that the survival of King Street as a thriving retail shopping district was vital, it launched a feasibility study to determine the potential of the area. The study examined traffic patterns, land use, and historical significance. It is assumed that this photographic survey of King Street buildings was done in conjunction with the feasibility study. The survey contains 74 photographs of King Street buildings between Broad and Calhoun Streets, both B&W and color, mounted on the pages of a photograph album. The survey also includes four drawings showing the footprints of King Street buildings between Broad and Columbus Streets, color-coded to indicate the historical significance, area conditions, and proposed reuses.
In the 1950s many houses in Ansonborough were threatened with ”demolition by neglect,” having stood vacant or fallen into severe disrepair. In order to encourage homebuyers to move into the neighborhood to save these formerly unwanted treasures, Historic Charleston Foundation (HCF) was the first organization in the country to develop the Revolving Fund as a preservation strategy. The initiation of this fund in 1958 enabled HCF to begin the Ansonborough Rehabilitation Project, an extraordinary effort to save a six-block neighborhood bordered by Market, Calhoun, East Bay, and Meeting Streets. Through the Revolving Fund, HCF sought to purchase, stabilize and resell historic properties with protective covenants in Ansonborough where more than 60 structures were rehabilitated over a 12-year period. The accomplishment was hailed nationwide, and other preservation programs across the United States modeled local initiatives on the Charleston program. HCF’s Ansonborough Rehabilitation Project is considered one of the first successful attempts in the country to preserve an entire neighborhood.
For ease of access, this collection can also be browsed by folder:
- Folder 01: General Histories of Ansonborough
- Folder 02: Lord Anson
- Folder 03: House Interpretations/Histories
- Folder 04: Revolving Fund - Origins
- Folder 05: ARP Planning Notes and Progress Reports
- Folder 06: Covenants
- Folder 07: Property Sales
- Folder 08: Publicity
- Folder 10: Ansonborough Neighborhood Association
- Folder 12: Open-space Study/Beautification
- Folder 13: Trees
- Folder 14: Signs
- Folder 15: Zoning
- Folder 16: Plats
- Folder 17: Maps of District
- Oversized Materials
Related collections also include: Ansonborough Rehabilitation Project Photograph Survey
The Colleton County Memorial Library Map Collection currently contains a sampling of images from the historic maps in the holdings of Colleton County Memorial Library. Included in this collection is the Jonah Horry Book of Maps, which features maps, surveys and charts drawn by John Goddard and John Horry Dent.
This collection contains five maps of the Waccamaw River in Horry County, S.C. from Conway to Bull Creek dated November 1903. The surveys were performed under the direction of Captain G. P. Howell, Corps of Engineers U.S.A. and Reid Whitford, U.S. Assistant Engineer. The surveyor was William H. Johnstone. These five maps show the soundings and some of the place names along the river. Also shown are proposed "cuts" that would straighten out parts of the river where extreme twists and turns made navigation by larger vessels difficult. The total distance shown by way of the river is approximately 26.5 miles.
Gertrude Sanford Legendre (1902–2000) was an American socialite who served as an OSS operative during World War II. She was also a noted explorer, big-game hunter, environmentalist, and owner of Medway plantation in South Carolina.
The collection includes scrapbooks of Gertrude’s travels and family life, loose photographs ranging in date from the mid to late 19th century to the 21st century (including slides, negatives, and multiple other formats), motion picture film, manuscript material including correspondence and business records, and a small amount of published material.
For ease of access, this collection can also be browsed by category:
Architectural drawings from the firm of Albert Simons and Samuel Lapham. Includes measured drawings of a country club in Ohio by Samuel Lapham; designs of the Ashley River Memorial Bridge; sculpture pedestals for the Gibbes Museum of Art; sundials, and garden plans.
A ten-set collection containing 37 items of measured drawings, ink sketches, pencil drawings and watercolors representing several generations of the Middleton family of South Carolina from 1803-1867. Sets 1-6 contain measured architectural drawings attributed to John Izard Middleton with dates and watermarks ranging from 1808-1813. Five country houses and one greenhouse are depicted in these 25 drawings. All buildings are in the Adamesque style and none of the designs is known to have been executed. Sets 1-3 are initialed "J.I.M" and are dated 1811 and 1813. Set 4 is neither initialed nor dated, but has the same format (ink with watercolor) and is on the same paper as some of the drawings in sets 1-3 with watermarks 1808-1809. Sets 5-6 are in pencil on paper by different manufacturers, though some are also watermarked 1809. All 6 sets appear to be by the same architect and to have notations in the same handwriting. Set 7 contains an elevation for flanking wings by "Thos. Walker Feby. 4th 1809." Set 8 consists of 4 pencil sketches of a design to enlarge Middleton Place. Set 9 contains miscellaneous drawings. Set 10 contains maps "drawn by Henry Middleton Jun[io]r. 1867."
This scrapbook by William Henry Johnson is part of a collection three, which document the history of a large array of Lowcountry plantations and places of interest. In this book - compiled, 1928-1932 - Johnson focuses on the Cooper River region and in the Parishes of St Stephen, St James Goose Creek, St James Santee and St. John Berkeley. The scrapbook draws together published historical research, maps, contemporary anecdotes and includes photographs Johnson took while visiting each location.
Subjects covered in this scrapbook include locations in Berkeley County, St. Johns (Berkeley) Parish, Goose Creek, and along the Cooper River. Other sites and subjects include Belmont, Black Oak Church, Bluford, Casada, Cedar Grove, Cedar Spring, Comingtee, a Prioleau family burial ground, Crowfield, Dean Hall Plantation, Dockon Plantation, Eutaw, Eutaw Springs, Exeter, Fairspring, Fort Dorchester, Four Hole Swamp, Gippy, Gravel Hill, the gravestone of Susan Bee, Hanover Plantation, Indian Fields Campground, Ingleside, Indianfield, Liberty Hall Club, Lewisfield, Magnolia Cemetery, monument of Col. Hezekiah Maham, grave of Major Majoribanks, Medway Plantation, Mepkin, a milestone by the Cooper River, Moorfield, Mount Pleasant Plantation, Mulberry Castle, North Hampton, Numertia, The Oaks Plantation, Ophir, Otranto Hunting Club, Parnassus, Pimlico, Pinegrove, Pond Bluff, Pooshee Plantation, John Poppenheim's plantation, Quarter house, Red Bank Hunting Club, an Episcopal church in Pineville, Rice Hope Plantation, The Rocks, St. James Goose Creek church, St. Johns Berkeley rectory site, St. Johns AME Church, a St. Julien family house, a Santee Canal lock, "Sarrazin house," a shanty, Somerset Plantation, Somerton Plantation, "Francis Marion spring," Springfield, Stoney Landing, Strawberry Chapel, Ten Mile Hill, Thoroughgood, Wadboo Barony, Wadboo bridge, Walnut Grove, Walworth, Wampee, Wampoolah, Wappetaw, Washington Plantation, the Whaley place, White Hall, Wiskinboo, Woodlawn, and Yeamans Hall.
This collection of 17th century world maps was published and printed by the Danckerts family, and was donated as a part of the Mitchell King Library. These 31 maps cover various countries in Europe, as well as the continents of Asia, Africa, and North and South America. The maps are by various cartographers including Visscher, Schagen, Overton, Ram, Blaeu, Broen, and Borgonio.