Philip Simmons (1912-2009) was an African American blacksmith and artisan specializing in the craft of ironwork in Charleston, South Carolina. Simmons spent seventy-seven years crafting utilitarian and ornamental ironwork. His work is recognized within the state of South Carolina, nationally, and internationally. This collection, donated by the Philip Simmons Foundation, holds personal papers with photographs and business related documents from 1977-2007. The bulk of materials feature preparatory graphite drawings (originals and photocopies) of commissioned works and estimates of Simmons' decorative ironwork (1984-2004, and undated).
This collection details the inner workings of Newton Plantation in the 1800s and contains several account and transaction ledgers. Specifically, this collection includes several day books (including the Newton Day Book or the Newton Plantation Day Book) originating between 1854-1872. These books provide records of monetary transactions on the plantation, including accounts payable and accounts receivable. This collection also includes the Newton Slave List, 1828, which records the names of slaves and their respective occupations on the plantation during that year. Additionally, the collection includes the Newton Plantation Cash Books from 1869-1873, a Stock Keepers and Watchmen book from 1862, and an 1849 Sugar Book, which contains records of sugar, rum, and molasses production on the plantation.
Newton Plantation is located in the parish of Christ Church in southern Barbados, and was first established by Samuel Newton in the 1660s. From the seventeenth to the eighteenth centuries, Newton was a major sugar plantation worked by enslaved people. In addition to the significant documentary record featured in this digital collection, this plantation was also the site of the Newton Burial Ground for enslaved people. Drs. Jerome Handler and Frederick Lange investigated and excavated this site in the 1970s, and their research formed the basis for Plantation Slavery in Barbados, a book published by Harvard University Press in 1978. These scholars estimate that roughly one thousand enslaved people died on Newton Plantation between 1670 and 1833, and they believed that an estimated 570 individuals are interred at the Newton Burial Ground. As part of its mandate, the Barbados Museum and Historical Society (BMHS) acquired the land where the Newton Burial Ground is located in the 1990s, and the museum is committed to the site’s protection and preservation for the people of Barbados and the region.
The South Carolina Historical Society's South Carolinians at Work collection is comprised of correspondence and other records, constitutions, and by-laws of organizations in Charleston, South Carolina. The organizations include Charleston Iron Works, American Federation of Musicians Local 502, Mechanics' Union No. 1, Charleston Fire Department, and the Bricklayers, Masons and Plasterers International Union of America. Also included in the collection are several documents of apprenticeship indenture, receipts, and advertisements.
One of a number of versions, the 1669 Fundamental Constitutions was a theoretical instrument of rule. These documents, attributed to the young philosopher John Locke, provided for a feudal system in the new colony, with colonial nobility carrying hereditary titles such as "cacique" and "landgrave," and the eight proprietors forming the highest level of rule. It was adopted in March 1669 by the eight Lords Proprietor of the Province of Carolina.
This collection contains images from the daybook of James Poyas, a Charleston merchant. Entries begin in February 1760 and end in April of 1765. James Poyas was born in 1736 to Jean Louis (anglicized to John Lewis) Poyas and Marie Jourdan. He married Elizabeth Portall in 1755, and they had one child, a daughter, Elizabeth. In 1767, James moved his family to London. They never returned to America to live. His daughter married an Englishman, Joseph Higginson; and James died in Bath in 1799. Beyond these few facts, very little is known about James and his family. Research is, of course, on-going. The daybook itself is one of a set. The South Carolina Historical Society holds the companion book, which covers from 1764-1766, so there is some overlap. The description of the entries list the names and, in the parentheses behind them, their account numbers. This will serve as a differentiation between people (fathers and sons, cousins, etc.) with the same or similar names. Due to slight variations in spelling (for which we have attempted a reconciliation), it will also serve as a confirmation that one is in fact looking at the same person throughout the ledger. Some of the miscellaneous account numbers, not associated with people, are: account 3 -- the store itself; account 31 -- cash; account 87 -- Indico [Indigo?] and account 81 -- Bonds and Notes. Occassionally there are entries with no account numbers next to them. These seem to be have been entered into another ledger (petty cash?) but no account number has been listed in our corresponding description, even if that person had (or would have) an account.
This collection is comprised of a collection of letters and postcards between Charles Henry Meltzer and notable names of the musical community such as, Cécile Chaminade, Gustave Charpentier, Alphonse Daudet, and George Gershwin. Included in the collection is an autographed photo postcard of Cécile Chaminade.
The John R. Beaty Letters is a collection of thirteen letters dated from August 18, 1860 to February 8, 1862 and four undated letters written in that same time period. Beaty was born in Conwayborough (Conway), South Carolina on August 16, 1827 and died in February, 1865. The first three letters, written in August 1860 to his friend and relative Dr. James Henry Norman, are his colorful descriptions of a trip from Conwayborough to the South Carolina upstate resort of Williamston Spring prior to the secession of South Carolina from the Union on December 20, 1860. The rest of the letters are written to his wife, Melvina (Melly), his daughter, Isabella (Isa) and his son, Edgar (Ned, Edy) during the War Between the States. Those letters describe Confederate military camp life on North Island and Cat Island, located at the mouth of Winyah Bay in Georgetown District, South Carolina, and his inquires about the state of affairs at home in Conwayborough. At the time, Beaty was a 2nd Lieutenant in Company B (Brooks Rifle Guards), 10th South Carolina Infantry Regiment, Manigault’s Brigade. In March, 1862 the regiment was sent to Mississippi and in May, 1862 it was reorganized. John R. Beaty died in February, 1865 at his home in Conwayborough after being severely wounded by friendly-fire received when he and others went out in the night to defend the town from a threatened attack by lawless armed deserters who were raiding citizens throughout Horry and the surrounding districts.
The collection of artifacts pertaining tot he Craft and Crum families of the Lowcountry includes a myriad of materials; photo albums, letters, account books, and land deeds. The Craft Family Photo Album includes images of Craft family members, famous abolitionists, and other family friends, many of international historical significance. Also included in the collection are legal documents pertaining to the family land, Woodville Plantation.