This collection contains correspondence dealing with the Confederate military. Collection highlights include a letter from General P. G. T. Beauregard to South Carolina Governor M. L. Bonham in 1863; a letter from Colonel Edward Manigault to South Carolina Governor F. W. Pickens in 1861; and a letter from Captain T. W. Daggett to South Carolina Governor F. W. Pickens in 1861.
This collection contains materials relating to the commissioning of Bishop Patrick Lynch during the Civil War. Collection includes two commissions given to Bishop Patrick Lynch by Jefferson Davis, naming him special commissioner of the Confederate States of America to the State of the Church. One commission is signed by Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America, and by Judah P. Benjamin, Secretary of State. The second is only signed by Benjamin.
Camp St. Mary, a catechetical summer camp for Catholic children, was founded near the Okatee River in Beaufort, South Carolina, by the Diocese of Charleston in 1928. Father James Linehan organized the religious vocation camp for children of Beaufort missions who were in need of catechetical instruction. The priests of the diocese and the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy provided religious teaching to the area children.
The original camp was located at the plantation house of William Pinckney. William Eustace Pinckney was born in Walterboro, South Carolina, to Eustace Bellinger Pinckney and Mary Martha Porcher in 1863. In the late 1860s, Eustace Pinckney moved his family to Okatie near Bluffton. As the only Catholics living in the area, the Pinckneys relied on visiting priests to perform religious rites. Sometime before 1916, the family built a simple wooden structure known as St. Mary's in the Woods as a place of worship. In 1922, the Pinckney family deeded the church to the Diocese of Charleston, and Bishop William Russell dedicated it as the Church of St. Mary.
In 1931, Bishop Emmett Walsh chose to prioritize the camp as a diocesan project. After obtaining funds, he purchased property across the river from the original campsite in Okatie, for an enlarged camp with permanent buildings. Two barracks for sleeping, a dining hall and a kitchen, a sisters’ convent, and a chapel were erected, as well as a boat dock with a diving platform, which was built on the river. Once the permanent buildings were erected, Bishop Walsh officially designated the camp as Camp St. Mary.
This digital collection contains three scrapbooks made by camp staff and campers from the 1930s to the 1960s.
Correspondence, speeches, memoranda, legislative files, political files, and committee files of L. Mendel Rivers (1905-1970), Democratic United States Representative from South Carolina's 1st Congressional District from 1941 to 1970. Materials primarily relate to Rivers' service in Congress from 1955 to 1962 with topics including the Cold War, Cuban Missile Crisis, Bay of Pigs invasion, Civil Rights, public school desegregation, and the United States Armed Services and defense programs. Also included are committee files concerning Rivers' service as Chairman of the House Committee on Armed Services and his service on the House Merchant Marine and Fisheries Committee.
The processing and digitization of this collection was made possible through a generous grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Hutson Lee, 1834-1899, was a Charlestonian and quartermaster in the Confederate army. Within his manuscript collection are 15 slave auction broadsides advertising sales of slaves in Charleston, South Carolina in 1859 and 1860. Each broadside contains information about the time and location of the sale, with many advertised as taking place at Ryan’s Mart on Chalmers Street in Charleston. The name and age of each enslaved person is listed, as well as characteristics or skills of some individuals. For example, there are some individuals listed as drivers, carpenters, boatmen, midwives, among many other descriptions. On each broadside, the name of the individual or firm in charge of the sale is given, and some also list the name of the former slaveholder. Often, the total number of slaves being offered for sale is given on the broadside, ranging anywhere from 25 to 235 slaves for each sale advertised.
This collection includes the Revolutionary War papers of John Paul Grimke and his son John Faucheraud Grimke, with materials regarding the latter as intendant (mayor) of Charleston. The papers of his son Thomas Smith Grimke document temperance, politics and education and also contain an autograph collection. With papers of Thomas's siblings Frederick Grimke, abolitionists Sarah Moore Grimke and Angelina Grimke Weld and others.
Founded in 1865, the Avery Normal Institute provided education and advocacy for the growing Charleston African American community and trained blacks for professional careers and leadership roles. Although the Institute closed its doors in 1954, it graduates preserved the legacy of their alma mater by establishing the Avery Institute of Afro-American History and Culture. This collection includes photographs of classes, extra-curricular activities, and reunions. Also, included are documents regarding activities presented and sponsored by the Avery Normal Institute.
This collection contains Revolutionary War military correspondence between the years of 1774-1783. The bulk of the letters are written to Major General Nathanael Greene and are chiefly concerned with strategic matters including reports on engagements and the movement of both American and British forces, procurement of arms and supplies, and issues of manpower with the drafting of men and desertion. Among the correspondents are John Laurens, Henry Laurens, John B. Ashe, Baron Steuben, Joseph Martin, Benjamin Lincoln, William Davies, William Heath, Stephen Drayton, Gouverneur Morris, William Pierce, Francis Marion, William Moultrie, Horatio Gates, Daniel Morgan, John Peter Gabriel Muhlenberg, Governor Abner Nash, John Hancock, Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer, Mann Page, John Page, Royal Flint, Charles Pettit and Henry Lee.
Middleton Place has been under ten generations of family stewardship, including two of America’s Founding Fathers: Henry Middleton, a president of the First Continental Congress, and his son Arthur Middleton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence; as well as to generations of African Americans, both slave and free. Today, the property is under the aegis of the Middleton Place Foundation. Collections coming soon!
Holograph manuscript with annotations and corrections written by Gabriel Edward Manigault, curator of the College of Charleston Museum, for publication in the Proceedings of the Elliott Society. Manigault, an 1852 graduate of the College of Charleston, became curator of the museum in 1873. The manuscript describes the capture of a Right Whale in Charleston harbor in January 1880, a description of the whale, the steps taken to preserve the specimen for exhibit at the College of Charleston Museum, and descriptions taken from published sources describing similar animals that had been sighted along the American coast and elsewhere beginning in the early 18th century. The Right whale is still exhibited in the Charleston Museum. 8 pages. Full text. Work published in: Proceedings of the Elliott Society, v. 2 (1885):98-103. The Elliott Society was a natural history society established in Charleston, South Carolina and allied closely with the College of Charleston throughout its existence in the latter part of the nineteenth century.